engine cutting out in rainy conditions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too had this issue when riding in a down pour. Once when riding at N. Rim Grand Cyn and the other was Crested Butte, CO. It seemed like the plug wire came off. I had the ugraded ECU installed and new plugs installed before the trip. It ran fine after it stopped raining. :glare:

This happened to a buddy of mine during a deluge.......but he was riding a BMW :rolleyes: I had a situation where I threw a check engine light after I washed it. All I did was clean all the connectors and put some dielectric grease in there. Never had an issue since.

Don't see all three having water problems at the same time . . . . All 3 worked on at same dealer before ride ? ECU upgraded on them or any of them ? Anyone else EVER heard of 2 or more FJRs having the same problem at the same time (besides ECU) ? Didn't think so . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar probs here with 2 FJR's after a heavy (aka typical UK) rainfall.

Below relates to an 02 gen1 FJR1300

Got back to my workplace after a really heavy rainfall to find my bike would turn over but refused to start. Moved her inside and took a look

Findings: found that the rain (water lol) had followed the loom from the ignition to a block connecter underneath the fuel tank and had managed to soak the whole thing. on closer inspection, i found that this must have been happening for some time as the connector pins were somewhat corroded and in a pretty shite state.

Left the bike in work (after adjusting every security camera focussed on her) (dont trust any of them) and went off to source some replacements.

Following day I spent a good few hours replacing the dodgy pins.

next project was to find a way of diverting the rain from running down the loom and doing the same, I looked at everything i could to adapt for the greater need and finally came upon a neoprene disc that was about 3.5 inches dia. i trimmed a small hole half the dia of the loom and slid it over said loom and slotted it just underneath the tank where i siliconed it into place and with silicone, created a water runoff away from the conn block. I also used a tiny amount of silicone on each pin slot of each side of the conn block to seal it.

Every other day sees me out with the WD40, just in case,

My method has worked, I just hope by reading this and taking a preventative step it wont happen to you.

Oh, it may be classed as sacrelege (sp?) but my bike lives out in the open in the worst of weathers and is covered only for the worst of rainfall. My mentality says 'why cover it then get it wet riding in the worst of weathers'

Could never be a fair(y) weather rider, they miss out on soo much.

Hmmm, not bad for first official post eh??

My 07 gets ridden in the rain constantly (I live in the rainy PNW) and sits out in the rain every day at work. The only reprieve it gets is when it's parked in my garage at night. Knock on wood, but no problems so far.

I am a big believer in dielectric grease. I always smear some in connectors when I take them apart and it goes in the spark plug boots when I change plugs. Keeps water out of the boots and makes them much easier to pull off the next time.

The only bikes having trouble were also the only DOHC inline fours.

This type motor has very deep spark plug wells.

Although I am new to the FJR, my last bike had a dohc inline four also.

It had a habit of collecting water in the number three plug well after a wash job.

It would then run on three cylinders until either the engine heat dried it out or I pulled the tank off and blew the water out with compressed air.

I learned to wrap plastic bags around the top of the cylinder head before washing.

As heavy as your rain was perhaps it was running into one of the plug wells and grounding a plug?