Engine dies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misalot

Reaction score
My 07 FJR AE starts then dies out. I have to advance the throttle and hold it open to get it started, after a few seconds it will die out. It is like the fuel is being starved. I recently installed a PC3 and disconnected the O2 sensor and it was running great. I went about 40 miles with the PC3 installed then let the bike sit for a day and that is when the problem started. I have searched everything I could think of on the forum and also used Google and yahoo to find answers but to no avail.

If I have to have the bike picked up and taken to a dealer should I reconnect everything to original to maintain the warranty

Every now and again a PCIII can cause a problem. Verify that there is a valid map loaded. The Power Commander site also has a procedure on how to do a core level reset on your PCIII.

If you are able to do this yourself, you may want to plug your stock injector connectors back in to see if that cures your problem. If it does, you are looking at a PCIII map loading problem or you need to reset your PCIII.

The Power Commander web site says:

[SIZE=12pt]Attention Recent Power Commander Customers [/SIZE]

Due to a compilation error in the production of a few CDs included in Power Commander product packages, the PCIIIUSB software may be missing. This omission occurred between July 3rd and July 12th.

This software can be downloaded for free from the downloads page of the Power Commander website. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers.

Regards,

The Management

Dynojet Research Inc.

When it's running, is it running smoothly or rough?

It could be one of your vacuum hoses disconnected. I had that happen once during a spark plug change and encountered similar symptoms.

To see if' it's the power commander - disconnect it. You don't need to un-install it. Just disconnect it at the connectors. You don't even need to re-install the O2 sensor. See if it runs ok again. If that's the case, there must be something wrong with the power commander.

I reconnected everything and the engine problem is the same, also I forgot to mention that the engine light is on but I do not see any code errors.

I reconnected everything and the engine problem is the same, also I forgot to mention that the engine light is on but I do not see any code errors.
When you say 'reconnected everything', do you mean you dis-connected the Power Commander?

An engine light with no codes? That's very odd. Are you sure?

Have you gone into diagnostic mode for any error codes?

I unconnected the PC3 in order to reconnect to the original hook up. I did leave the ground wire from the PC3 attached to the negative terminal. I have not gone into diagnostic mode I will try that now. I think I remember how. I thought if there was an error that it would automatically display

The Engine light only alerts you to some problems, you have to use the diAG to read and reset all the codes. Key off, press and hold both the select and reset buttons on the Meter, turn the key on and hold the buttons on for roughly 8-10 seconds and then you should see the diAG mode. Check 62: it will show the number of error codes. Check 60: the value should be 00 with no faults; check 61: read fault codes, if there are more than one they will flash one, then the next, etc, finally starting all over again. Return to 62: and toggle the red Run switch on the right handlebar off/on again to reset the codes and code count.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked it up from Bucks in Valpo, got caught in the rain. They said it was a black and orange wire that pulled loose from the EDM causing cylinders 1&4 to lose spark. I think ECM as they call it was the replacement ECU replaced under warranty. That was the recall on the bikes that were having high altitude problems. I think they must have loosened it when they replaced it. I will put the PC3 back in in the morning. I can't believe I ran this long without it. Sure makes a difference having a smooth bike.

I just saw your post. My '06 is doing the exact same thing and has been for a couple of months. I also have a PCIII and unhooked it for a couple of weeks to no avail. The same thing happened so I re-hooked up the PCIII. I also have Two Brother's slip-ons. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. On occasion, the bike will idle itself to a stall at a stop sign or light if I am not quick on the right hand to keep the rpm's up. I think I've got a vacuum leak and keep meaning to try disconnecting the octupus hose lines as described in this forum but can't seem to make the time to do so.

Things I've tried so far to no avail:

1. Disconnected the power commander - reconnected the O2 sensor.

2. Reconnected the power commander - disconnected the O2 sensor.

3. Changed the plugs.

4. Checked all grounds.

5. Replaced battery.

6. Barabrian mod, but did not reveal a problem.

7. Scratched my head.

Have you been sucessful at correcting your problem?

I just saw your post. My '06 is doing the exact same thing and has been for a couple of months. I also have a PCIII and unhooked it for a couple of weeks to no avail. The same thing happened so I re-hooked up the PCIII. I also have Two Brother's slip-ons. The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. On occasion, the bike will idle itself to a stall at a stop sign or light if I am not quick on the right hand to keep the rpm's up. I think I've got a vacuum leak and keep meaning to try disconnecting the octupus hose lines as described in this forum but can't seem to make the time to do so.

Things I've tried so far to no avail:

1. Disconnected the power commander - reconnected the O2 sensor.

2. Reconnected the power commander - disconnected the O2 sensor.

3. Changed the plugs.

4. Checked all grounds.

5. Replaced battery.

6. Barabrian mod, but did not reveal a problem.

7. Scratched my head.
Hi Sully

The problem turned out to be the connection to the new ECU module that was replaced under the Yamaha replacement fix for altitude problems. The first two wires that go into the module (from front to rear)were loose and had to be shoved back into the pin. ( the wire that goes into the pin then the pin into the module) The dealer used JB Weld to hold them in place. You can see these wires directly under the shelf that you put the PClll on, they are orange and black. The error code that came up in diag. was #3 which was not in my shop manual. The dealer said that #3 indicated that it meant no spark to certain cylinders. I was running on two cylinder causing the bike to die unless you kept the RPM's way up.

I hope this helps and are you leading the group around one of the routs in WV again this fall.

Last edited by a moderator: