Engine intermittently dying while riding.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsfjr

Reaction score
Just got back from a 800 mile ride. Three separate times during my trip. The motor would die and restart about 5 or 6 times in a row. It was like someone was flipping the red kill switch off and on randomly. I couldn't find anything that was triggering. It would only die for a second or two and restart because I was traveling at 70 and it was still in gear. I didn't touch any levers or switches before it happened and my side stand was completely up. Thought my bike might just die altogether in the freeway. But every time it came out of it. I tried wiggling and pushing on the kill switch button but couldn't replicate the prob. I have a 06 FJR1300 with 24k. Any thoughts to what might be happening.

Could be a gunked up kickstand switch. They are notorious for getting weird due to the location. Do you have a Power Commander or other fuel module? If so, check the ground and make sure it is both tight and on bare metal. Maybe a bad battery connection, but I doubt it would cause random dying at speed. Checking to rule out is easy though.

My bet is the kick stand switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I check fault codes on the ecu? I recently cleaned the battery terminals and the side stand switch. I don't have a power commander. It is all stock. I thought about the side stand switch and after it happened I purposely moved it in and out a few times with my foot while continuing riding. It didn't make it die. It will if I push it all the way down but not in its first few inches of travel.

There is good info on the Forum.

Start here

Diagnostic Mode:
(Appears to be the same for '03 - '05)

To enter Diagnostic Mode: Have the key turned off (kill switch on) and press the Select and Reset together. Turn the key to on and hold the buttons for about 8 seconds. A screen will apear that reads "d1 AG". release the buttons.
(so far, same as prior models)

Use the "SELECT" select "Co" adjustment or the diagnostic mode "d1 AG". Press Select and Reset for 2 seconds. "d:01" should appear on the clock if you did everything right.
Press "SELECT" for the next code, Press "RESET" for the previous code.
Codes go from d:01 to d:70 -- go buy a manual for the codes.

Note: Lean Angle Sensor (Overturned Motorcycle) Fault code: 30
Scroll through the diagnostic codes to:
61 (the history of fault codes). If you see a 0 at the bottom right then there are no trouble codes. However if you see a number 30 that is the code for an over turned motorcycle. If you have the code 30 and want to erase it. Press the select button and go to number 62 (erase history code). Then turn the kill switch off, then back on again. This will erase this and any other codes stored in the memory. Then turn the key off to go back to normal operations. If you have any more codes I suggest you order the big book from FJR Goodies to problem solve or take it to your dealer.
Plug the link below into a Google search bar:

diagnostic code site:fjrforum.com

Hopefully there might be something stored, remember to write the codes down.

Cheers

I'm thinking ignition switch too. Same symptoms were happening until it flat out died mid flight. They just replaced to guts. Works like new now. Were you having trouble with turning the key and nothing happened until you jiggled it a few times?

I had the ignition switch recall done. I am not sure about the spider. It might not have been done. Will check with the dealer on that. Are these symptoms of a spider problem?

Some symptoms can be:

Hi beam indicator on, no lights on

Flashing Fuel display

Hazard indicators on steady lights not illuminated and/or 1/2 brilliance on the 4 indicators

Horn does not work

Windshield does not move

Grip heaters no worky

Or your fans will not work in a diagnostic mode

It all depends what spyder is at fault and / or how much burnt wiring if any.

If you don't have any of the symptoms above and your bike just dies, could well be the ignition switch contacts or the soldered wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused by the order of the posts. Did you recently clean the battery terminals and side stand switch just before it started acting up or as a result of the issues. If it was done just before then that is where I would spend my time troubleshooting. Isn't there a way to take the side stand switch out of the picture temporarily?

I purchased the bike in Nov 2013. On one of my first long rides this problem happened twice. It hasn't happened again until today. After it happened back in November I cleaned the battery terminals and the side stand switch to rule them out. There are non of the spider symptoms mentioned earlier in the replies so I am at a loss for what is happening. I am going to check and see if the spider recall was done though.

A couple questions...

Did you see any evidence of an electrical power loss? (lights blink, guages flip or fluctuate, lcd blink...)

Did this only happen when you are moving? If you can get it to reapeat it at idle, can you put your ear on the tank and listen for the fuel pump?

Where I'm going with this is... While it might feel to you like an electrical problem, from what I have read of your post, you haven't ruled out a loss of fuel pressure.

Others here will know more than I from experience with this machine... I'm just thinking it sounds like you ruled out most electrical issues (unless you did see lights blink or guages change...)

Do the pumps on these fail once? or can they go intermittent first? or.. do they not fail ever?

Double-check that the battery terminals are tight. I had a similar problem on my 07 and it was a loose battery connection.