Enlarging my fuel tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need it pressure tested we can have one of the Los Robustos sit on it and see if it holds. Shiney are you up for that?
Yeah, if the tank explodes I've already been fixed. I want armor on my dick though -- still need that. My price is a shrimp po' boy.
well Shiny...see the obsession with Nawlins' Po Boy has not subsisted...guess I shouldn't have posted those life size pics :rolleyes:

tell ya what...I can ship you local goodies of your choice (I think)...I've sent folks King Cakes, Barq's, and fresh or boiled seafood before to cyberbike podnas...guy who put up my family for 2 months after Katrina is ex New Orleanian...asked him what I could do for Him...well, shipped him 200# of raw crawfish for him to throw a boil for his neighborhood and church who were very generious to us. There are establishments here who specialize in shipping seafood.

Let's see, I go to Bozo's and pickup food...wrap it up in multiple layers without condiments...ship overnight or even Delta Dash which is as cargo on a flight same day. I buy the food and you pay shipping.

Gee, at first it was a joke to torture you :blink: , but it may be doable... :unsure:

Gee, at first it was a joke to torture you :blink: , but it may be doable... :unsure:
Do you realize how many food addicts there are on this forum? And then there's the Los Robustos! I'll go broke if I start making daily orders from you for food from Bozo's! :dribble:

There's a business opportunity here somewhere...

If you need it pressure tested we can have one of the Los Robustos sit on it and see if it holds. Shiney are you up for that?
Yeah, if the tank explodes I've already been fixed. I want armor on my dick though -- still need that. My price is a shrimp po' boy.
well Shiny...see the obsession with Nawlins' Po Boy has not subsisted...guess I shouldn't have posted those life size pics :rolleyes:

tell ya what...I can ship you local goodies of your choice (I think)...I've sent folks King Cakes, Barq's, and fresh or boiled seafood before to cyberbike podnas...guy who put up my family for 2 months after Katrina is ex New Orleanian...asked him what I could do for Him...well, shipped him 200# of raw crawfish for him to throw a boil for his neighborhood and church who were very generious to us. There are establishments here who specialize in shipping seafood.

Let's see, I go to Bozo's and pickup food...wrap it up in multiple layers without condiments...ship overnight or even Delta Dash which is as cargo on a flight same day. I buy the food and you pay shipping.

I thought those pictures were thumbnails! Let me talk to the wife and maybe for the holidays. I couldn't have you drop a dime, but having a local source willing to do a little legwork for us sounds yummie...Last time I had crawfish was a couple years ago at her daughter's marriage in a eucalyptus grove in Oakland, CA... mmmmmmmmm I'll pm after I talk to the missus.... kind of ya to offer.

Well I made a bit of progress last night. At least I was able to set the front height and come up with a few more refinements.

First off I welded in a piece raising the front of the tank 1-5/8”.

P1020001.jpg

I’ve also changed the plan a bit. I was going to weld in the sides first then raise the top. I decided to weld in the top above then pull the sides away till the slope of the tank will come in line with the raised tank. The will not take on a new look, just be physically larger. I’m fairly please with this and I want to keep as much shape from the original tank as possible. These settle visual change will yield at around a gallon or more I estimate.

P1010997.jpg

This is an angle viewed from the rider’s perspective. Notice that the side panel will not extend past the natural flow of the top.

P1010998.jpg

Next steps will be to finish weld the top strip of the front and to secure in the sides. I’m still going to raise the center portion but will most likely only go for 1-1/2 inches or so.

Very nice project!!!

Are you going to add a wall or floor (baffle) internally to tie the left & right sidewalls together? It'll help support the height & walls from knee damage, plus give some stabilization to the sheetmetal when the tank has some pressure.

Just a thought. Nice workmanship!

Very nice project!!!
Are you going to add a wall or floor (baffle) internally to tie the left & right sidewalls together? It'll help support the height & walls from knee damage, plus give some stabilization to the sheetmetal when the tank has some pressure.

Just a thought. Nice workmanship!
I might be able to add some material once the top is removed. Currently there is no material from the factory that support the sides. An there just a tiny baffle around the fuel pump. A small baffle front to back down the middle would be a nice addition. I have't felt any fuel every sloshing around with the stock tank, but that could change slightly with these modifications.

Alex,

You definitely are on the right track to make a side living on this forum and other forums should this project turn out to be functional and sparkly as well. There has not been a farkle turned out like this since the smuggler. Good luck on the final result... Perhaps Yamaha should be taking a look at this forum, and into American ingenuity it spawns. I'm impressed!!