Epic F**K up, Now what?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[To add more to the ****-up, the reason the whole thing was FUBAR to begin with was that my 8mm wrench was a 6 point instead of a 12. If I'd had a 12 then I wouldn't have had to cut it and probably wouldn't have lost the grip to begin with. Oh well.
But then you would have stripped the bolt head with your 12 point and would have posted up about that.

Better to use the 6 point to not strip the bolt head...

...or better yet, do it the Owosso WayTM and cut a slot into the bolt head so you can tighten it with a screw driver next time.

A little late to the party but, glad it came out without bloodshed or anyone dying. Since this thread will undoubtedly be used as a reference for other hapless souls looking for inspiration/tool ideas, I offer these Mech Fingers Magnetic Finger which have both been life savers when I've done dumb things while wrenching, (often on a daily basis). Great ending to this story and sounds like all here learned something from your adventures, especially in self control. ( You don't have any new holes in the garage wall, do you?)

A little late to the party but, glad it came out without bloodshed or anyone dying. Since this thread will undoubtedly be used as a reference for other hapless souls looking for inspiration/tool ideas, I offer these Mech Fingers Magnetic Finger which have both been life savers when I've done dumb things while wrenching, (often on a daily basis). Great ending to this story and sounds like all here learned something from your adventures, especially in self control. ( You don't have any new holes in the garage wall, do you?)
I have a nice long set of Flex Mechnical Fingers! They have saved my Ass many, many times! Neatest thing since Sliced Bread! :ph34r:

I have a nice long set of Flex Mechnical Fingers! They have saved my Ass many, many times! Neatest thing since Sliced Bread! :ph34r:
majicmaker just make sure you keep a tight lanyard on that big black "Thermos bottle" of yours, you don't want to let that monster get a way from you (or your Girlfriend!). jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woo Hoo !! Good news on the retrieval! :yahoo: And Kudos to allrider for his help!

Coincidentally, about 30 miles from you I was replacing the CCT on my FJR on the same day as you were working on yours. No clutch cover removal for me because I found that by alternating between my 8mm and 5/16 ignition wrenches, I could get enough throw to remove that lower bolt. But I was not without my own dropped parts because the screw and washer that seal the adjustment hole fell into my frame when I attempted to install them. Luckily a magnetic tool retrieved the screw. Not so lucky that the washer is aluminum and didn't come out and will spend the rest of it's days inside my frame. Lucky again that I had the old washer to install on my new CCT. Oh yea, I sealed the frame hole with duct tape before attempting the screw installation again.

This thread has been a great read, just like those fantastic RR. This forum does rock and love reading threads like this.

At the beginning of our 17 day journey south and west I finally figured out where those screws everyone talks about were in the side cases that fall out, of course it was the hard way. Like you, my blood pressure probably went thru the roof and it was all down hill from there. A couple of deep breaths, a fast run to the Loews at 945pm and a solution about 45 mins later I was able to return to a calm state and enjoy the next 16 days.

Willie

I was on the edge of my seat reading this - congrats on finding it.

A few years ago I took the valve cover off my bike and heard something drop at the same time. I found a small cog on the floor. For the best part of an hour I tried to fit this cog in the engine somewhere and ultimately gave up and reassembled the bike. The bike ran fine so I posted a picture online - someone replied that it looks like the flint from a cigarette lighter... indeed it was, clearly someone had chucked it over our wall.

Really glad it worked out for you. Hate having tools left inside the bike; especially where they could ruin your entire day! Your perserverance paid off.

Friend of mine bought a new-old-stock Goldwing (2009) last year. Dealer had to replace the battery before he took delivery. Fast forward 10,000 miles and 9 months - I was giving him a hand with some maintenance stuff last week. Checking around underneath with the bike on a lift, I saw something a little odd toward the front of the rear wheel well, left side. Yep, a pair of VICE-GRIPS still firmly attached to a bolt; presumably left behind by some ham-fisted knuckle-dragging shop-monkey. (We continued to look but didn't find any hammers tucked in there.) He told the service manager who just shrugged his shoulders and made some nonsense comment. Maybe he's lucky they didn't charge him for a pair of genuine Honda Vice-Grips! I'm glad they weren't working on anything inside the motor!

Ok! I'll go ahead and say this one more time. This is the Best F@#King Forum EVER!! :clapping: :yahoo:
It definitely is... no question. Threads like this continually demonstrate this fact.

And now that the trauma is over.... let the brutal judging begin!!! :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn, Superfuzz, when you decide to **** up, you don't **** around! :nono:

What had me most upset after reading the first 3 pages of this thread was thinking to myself: "Damn, fucking guy had to dick up like this at the *start* of decent Seattle metro area weather? He can't screw the pooch at the end of the riding season there?" :lol:

Because like you and many others in this thread, I could easily envision this becoming a multi-week (or longer) nightmare at some worthless dealership. Very glad you had the patience and follow-through to let forum members help you out.

Yes, this forum most definitely rocks.
bling_cool.gif
Stellar work all around, peeps.

Holy crap... Tragedy, drama and anguish, perseverance in the face of adversity, heroic rescue... and booze. Great thread.

Congratulations on avoiding a HUGE repair bill!

You know, now that I think about this, it's all a bit of a genius plan.

He wants new electronic gizmos, including the boroscope. How to get that one past the wife?

Hrm, start maintenance, leave hole open. Need proof that something went down that hole, but it needs to be a hole she can't see down into.

Cut tool in half, come up with some cockamamie story about how you are making a custom tool rather than go buy one (They are expensive, you are saving money)

Hide half of the tool, then start freaking out that the hidden half is down in the engine.

Start talking shop costs of what it's going to cost the local shop to disassemble the engine to get this part out that is lost somewhere in a sensitive, expensive and scary location (Transmission)

Start thread on website so she can see you are doing research and asking knowledgeable folks out about this.

Recruit a friend to come over and "Help" you with the issue.

Run to store to buy the tools you originally wanted.

Friend uses tools to help you retrieve your "Missing tool."

Celebrations, beer, hugs, happiness.

Offer friend tool for gratitude but he rejects this as planned.

Wife is happy it only cost the cost of new tools and not a complete transmission tear down at the local shop, her honey saved money.

Enjoy the use of new tools you couldn't have bought otherwise.

*There's no telling what he's been exploring with that little camera since then!*

You know, now that I think about this, it's all a bit of a genius plan.

He wants new electronic gizmos, including the boroscope. How to get that one past the wife?...
It is a genius plan...but I have yet to meet anyone on this board conceivably smart enough to implement something that intricate and well thought out. :lol:

I have yet to meet anyone on this board conceivably smart enough to implement something that intricate and well thought out. :lol:
Hmmmmm...I don't know -- SkooterG got the Forum together to buy some idiotic grumpy old **** a new motor for his busted-ass '04!
Fixed.
MY BUDDY!!
Steve-O, it is the least I can do! Have to run to the store, getting a gift for my illegitimate Bastard Son SkooterG for breaking 100K on his second FJR. I have to move quickly too, before he wads that one up also!