Erectile Dysfunction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably go that way myself. However, this time I'll take the time to get a better quality bolt!
Speaking of which, going back to some prior recommendations about these screws, is it really enough to just say that you want these to be "stainless"? I was under the impression that common stainless steel is not all that great in terms of tensile strength. I would want to use stainless too, for the non-corrosion aspect, but is it really all that strong?

Anyone with some real metallurgical knowledge?
Looks like Lor's screw clearly is too soft to get the job done.............hummm wonder how old it is?

Jim

Might I also suggest stainless screws or at least grade-10 or grade-12 hardware? Not sure about it, but from JimLor's pictures it looks like a standard grade-4 plated screw.
do you want hard bolts or tough bolts? it would seem you're needing toughness over hardness. doesn't the higher grade bolt mean an increase in hardness?

Good point, Bounce. I "think" the issue is movement and if the bolts can't flex (as when using a metal spacer rather than a "soft" spacer) it may be a moot point.

[SIZE=12pt]Rifle Tuning Bock:[/SIZE] I was reading an old post from a couple of years ago. Someone there said the Tuning Block was $75 +. I suppose you could check their website and give them a call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got off my boo-tocks this afternoon and replaced the nylon spacers w/ the SS metal ones I got from McMaster-Carr some time ago. Although these metal spacers (3/8" tall, 5/8"OD, 0.252" ID) now cause the metal arms in the windshield mechanism to contact the plastic of the fairing in the last 1/8" of travel. So, I guess I'll have to remember not to raise the shield to "full-up." Maybe this "contact" has been there all along but I've never noticed it before today.

BTW, below is a picture of the nylon spacers and SS screws that have been in service for abt 9 months. I re-used the screws and discarded the nylon spacers. Hopefully, I'm good to go and can avoid the dreaded "erectile dysfunction" of the windshied.

WindshieldSpacersScrews.jpg

Latest posts