Error Code sh--21

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMitchell

Reaction score
Help

I have a 2006 FJR AE, I just
changed the clutch plates and now Im getting error code sh--21. Im unable to start it up and can not even shift gears.
I've looked everywhere for this code and the only thing i've found in the Service and repair manual is (sh--21 Engine does not start and Does not change gear)
tango_face_sad.png
And my local shop cant get me in for another month..

Just sit tight, I'm sure mcatrophy will be along shortly to help you out.................

I guess the clue is the fact you have "changed the clutch plates"; my guess is something is slightly out of line.

Didn't have SH__21, I got an SH__27. The SH__21 says the gear position sensor voltage is out of range.

On the YCC-S FJR, the gear position sensor is a potentiometer not a switch. I can only surmise you've unplugged it or snagged it, although it doesn't need touching to play with the clutch.

The sensor is on the left-hand side of the engine, I think under that little cover with YCC-S moulded into it. There are three wires to its connector, black/blue (or maybe just black), blue and yellow. The black/blue is ground, the blue is a 5 volt feed from the YCC-S mcu, the yellow is a voltage fed back to the mcu from the potentiometer. The black/blue and blue feed various other YCC-S devices, all connecting back to the mcu.

The error code SH__21 is quoted in the workshop manual as "Output signal of gear position sensor is below 0.3 V or above 4.7 V".

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'll check it with a voltmeter. Thanks for the feedback. Ill let you know the outcome.

Thanks a million.

Update:, I found the problem the Gear Sensor indicator was open. No indication of any resistant on the rheostat. or any voltage on the yellow wire. Ordering a new one.

...The SH__21 says the gear position sensor voltage is out of range.
On the YCC-S FJR, the gear position sensor is a potentiometer not a switch. I can only surmise you've unplugged it or snagged it, although it doesn't need touching to play with the clutch.

The sensor is on the left-hand side of the engine, I think under that little cover with YCC-S moulded into it. There are three wires to its connector, black/blue (or maybe just black), blue and yellow. The black/blue is ground, the blue is a 5 volt feed from the YCC-S mcu, the yellow is a voltage fed back to the mcu from the potentiometer. The black/blue and blue feed various other YCC-S devices, all connecting back to the mcu.

The error code SH__21 is quoted in the workshop manual as "Output signal of gear position sensor is below 0.3 V or above 4.7 V".
Update:, I found the problem the Gear Sensor indicator was open. No indication of any resistant on the rheostat. or any voltage on the yellow wire. Ordering a new one.
Thank you Mcatrophy, your experience and expertise is a major asset to this Forum.
smile.png

...Thank you Mcatrophy, your experience and expertise is a major asset to this Forum.
smile.png
...and just when he thought his opinions didn't matter...
Let's just wait and see if the diagnosis is correct before singing too many praises; as far as I am concerned it isn't over until the fat lady sings FJR runs.

Hi Mcatrohy, the fat lady did not sing :(

1. What voltage should the gear sensor be set at for Neutral. I can adjust it between 0.74v and 0.87 volts. and the Service and repair manual does not specify just say's adjust the position of the switch until the voltage reading is 0.71 and 0.91?

2. Im now getting error code sh__26! when I turn the key on.

But if I toggle the switch on and off then on again the error code goes away.

3. With the engine off, I can change gears using the paddle shifter or the pedal to 1 Only and back to neutral with no problems. Shouldnt I be able to shift it to 2 3 etc as well?

4. Now with the engine running after I toggle the key on off and on again I can start the engine, and shift with either the paddle or foot into gear but NOT BACK INTO NEUTRAL?.

5. Im going to try and bleed the clutch release mechanism. Using a Brake Bleed vacuum tool. Last time I did that it seemed the fluid came out really slow. I couldn't tell if all all the bubbles were from the clutch Release mechanism or air seeping in around the bleed valve.

Hi Mcatrohy, the fat lady did not sing :(
1. What voltage should the gear sensor be set at for Neutral. I can adjust it between 0.74v and 0.87 volts. and the Service and repair manual does not specify just say's adjust the position of the switch until the voltage reading is 0.71 and 0.91?

2. Im now getting error code sh__26! when I turn the key on.

But if I toggle the switch on and off then on again the error code goes away.

3. With the engine off, I can change gears using the paddle shifter or the pedal to 1 Only and back to neutral with no problems. Shouldnt I be able to shift it to 2 3 etc as well?

4. Now with the engine running after I toggle the key on off and on again I can start the engine, and shift with either the paddle or foot into gear but NOT BACK INTO NEUTRAL?.

5. Im going to try and bleed the clutch release mechanism. Using a Brake Bleed vacuum tool. Last time I did that it seemed the fluid came out really slow. I couldn't tell if all all the bubbles were from the clutch Release mechanism or air seeping in around the bleed valve.
1. Adjust the sensor until the neutral position gives between 0.71 and 0.91.

2. I got an error code SH__26 when I reassembled my clutch incorrectly, mentioned in my clutch soak post. Could that apply to yours?

3. Correct behaviour. Computer won't allow changing up if it would lug the engine (or require lots of clutch slip), if the engine's not running 1st is your only (non-neutral) option.

4. Does it try to change to neutral? Can you hear the actuators attempting the change? Might be tied up with that SH__26.

5. Yes, could still be air in the fluid preventing proper operation.

Edited to add it does sound like hydraulics not doing their job. Hopefully a good bleed will fix it.

I got it working yesterday

1. I adjusted the sensor right in the middle .81.

2. Followed your clutch soak post to step by step. Borrowed my neighbors torque wrench, mine was old. I thought that might be an issue,

3 re-bleed the clutch mechanism.

works Perfect now. Now if it would stop raining here in the great Pacific northwest.

I got it working yesterday
1. I adjusted the sensor right in the middle .81.

2. Followed your clutch soak post to step by step. Borrowed my neighbors torque wrench, mine was old. I thought that might be an issue,

3 re-bleed the clutch mechanism.

works Perfect now. Now if it would stop raining here in the great Pacific northwest.
Congrats. That's what we wanted to hear.

Or is that the Fat Lady ;) ?

Thanks I have s sneeky feeling my torque wrench was the issue. Thanks to my three boys that like to use my tools and never re-set the torque wrench to 0.

Im buying a new digital one and a big lock.

Thanks