Eureka! Gmax44 -My Helmet Woes are over!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo:

As documented here on the forum with my Helmet woes and frustrations. I finally had a breakthrough.

Walked into a local dealer and saw a new looking bugger of a helmet. GMAX..name was familiar, but could not remember where I read about it. Tried it on, XXL was good fit all around, still a bit snug on the jaw for comfort. XXXL was a better fit, but dealer did not have the color I needed.

Got back to the house and finally remembered it was DrFaulken who did a write up on his blog about the Gmax58s.

Well, these were the Gmax 68s I had found, and they felt good.

Went over to Iron Pony and ordered one, then was slumming in their close out and found the 44s, XXXLFlip-up and orderred that one too.

They both arrived on Thursday, prior to us leaving on Friday to Dallas for the CycleShow(ride report coming). I was compelled to take both, however I decided to take the silver Flip-up 44s..

This helmet was a good fit...XXXL (eh emm) nevertheless the best for me, where my chin was not stifiled and I wasn't kissing shield.

I put 580 miles on the helmet this weekend, and before I arrived home it was truly broke in and felt more comfortable than from the start. Went through some wind going and some rain coming back and it truly held up and felt solid the whole way---no drips, no whipping wind noises, no seeping wind or rain.

:rolleyes: The clasp on the jawbone connection closing was very solid and gave a good thud when closing.

:rolleyes: The face shield was quite inpressive, as it had seven positions that held up at any speed. Smallest 3/8 inch.

:rolleyes: The buffeting that I usaually exeperience with my previous lid was all but gone.

:huh: The noise level, I thought was good. I really don't have the experience with closed lids to say. Plus I use earbuds.

:yahoo: I really love the helmet; functional when traveling and putting gas in, stop-light talking to riding partner.

:dribble: When I arrived at the cycle show, a local dealer there was selling the 44s for $83.00, which was $5.00 less than what I paid for it from the closeout @ IP.

:dribble: He was selling the 68s for $79.00..now this was a big difference than IP, and I thought about it (you know what), but it wasn't worth the hassle and re-stocking to do so. Thought about buying another for future, but honestly, I'll probably be wearing the 44s more than the 68s...but It'll have it's chance to compete this week. Truth be told, the 68s did have an issue with the left flashy light not working, but it's just probably loose. easy fix...if not' oh well.

A little moral to the story here, try the CycleShow, they are really dealing on helmets and gear; on a lot of major brands. It's definitely worth looking at.

I will be trying out the Gmax 68s tomorrow and the next few days.

Thanks for the heads-up on the deals at the show!

It's here in the SF Bay Area this coming weekend, and I was considering heading in. The San Mateo Convention Center, Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday.

I'm currently wearing an HJC Symax II, and am interested in looking at some other flip-ups. My chin hits this one a little more than I'd like (meaning at all), and it is rather noisy. My sound-isolating earphones fix most of that, however, I don't put them in for shorter rides.

Gloves and boots are also interesting. I picked up some heated gloves last fall, but am not really happy with them. Want to see what I can find with a bigger selection to look at; hopefully they'll have larger sizes...I have a real problem finding work gloves.