Euro high beam flasher upgrade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1642_1.jpg
I've been mulling this over in the back of my brain.... I'll bet with 2 double pole, double throw solenoid relays you can have that trigger set up that a click on the button will turn on, and a second click will turn off. I'm thinking of highway lights.

Hmmm... Canadian eh? Who was the dealer that was offering the foot guards? [search] +foot +guard +nice +Canadian

Why not a momentary contact on the high beams and leave the low beams ON. You're only using this to get peoples attention, not to drive with.

jim

Why not a momentary contact on the high beams and leave the low beams ON. You're only using this to get peoples attention, not to drive with.jim
I'm thinking about using this switch instead of an extra toggle switch to turn on a set of driving lights. It's right there at your finger tip, instead of having to reach down or over to hit a togle switch.

I'm fumbling around with a piece of paper trying to see how it'd work. It's been 25 years since I had my electronics class, but I'm pretty sure it was a lab exercise once, and it worked then, but I don't remember how we made it work.

I too miss the trigger switch for high beams. I have that switch on my Tiger and all my other Triumphs had it as well, it lights the headlights up to something between low and high beam. Great for when you ride through a curve at night or just need to momentarily light up that strange looking thing in the road up ahead or to get the attention of an inattentive cager.

Part numbers from wherever in world they can be ordered would be wonderful as the housing on my '06 just has the blank plate.

Why do the most all the manufactures skimp on the little, inexpensive, but easy to include stuff for some markets?? And then not include that stuff as an easy to order accessory??

Regards,

Richard

---------------------

I saw a picture of a garage door opener mounted to the left control box. The bike was a Canadian FJR Model and It had an extra button on the back of the housing. The owner described as a high beam flasher. It is a really nice safety feature. I checked the back of my left control housing and saw an empty space with a piece of plastic with a screw. So is it possible for US bike to be upgrade by just adding the flasher button and little of wiring or do I need to buy a complete set of Canadian housing?

Nice pic by the way....Ah it's an Aussie FJR my good fellow not Canadian....and I would have thought it would have been standard world wide how fucked is that you didn't get one? there pretty much standard here on (I think) all road bikes. I do some checking here and get a cost for the switch and then maybe Randy the harness god could make up one?

Good luck

Thank for the great picture. So it is an Aussie bike. you guys always get better stuff over there. You even have better Ford cars :rolleyes:

Thanks for checking out the price and parts number. I am so sure we can MOD the switch to function as a flasher. Please PM for the update.

Jim

By the way, just check the headlight modulator option. It is not going to work for my needs. Thanks for the suggestion Mr Highlander.

Here's how I operate my set of driving lights. Another board member posted this switch last year and I finally added it to the 06. Works great so far, but it is an extremely tight fit under the plastic...took me three switches to get it correct,,,, I hate soldering, I have no paitence for it !

IMG_1312.jpg

Here's how I operate my set of driving lights. Another board member posted this switch last year and I finally added it to the 06. Works great so far, but it is an extremely tight fit under the plastic...took me three switches to get it correct,,,, I hate soldering, I have no paitence for it !
IMG_1312.jpg
oo... lots easier, and lots cheaper too... Radio Shack?

The switch that Highlander used is from DIGI-key. I found it after some searching for a switch that would fit. It is just a little large so you have to gently file the sides of the housing to make it fit. Also on the back of the housing, I had to file a relief for the wires to fit. The part number is CH755-ND. Here is the link to my earlier post on how I did the work. I also found a generic rubber cover that I siliconed over it. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...p;hl=Hella+FF50.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Neal

Here's the switch I use for my PHIDs. It's a simple switch that came with the PHIDs. Double-sided tape to sticky on the housing, and push on/push off. Simple. Effective. Ergonomically correct. Been working for something like 65,000 miles now. I (actually vectervp1 - thanks for the help Art) took apart the switch and added silicon for weatherproofing before mounting.

If you wanted, I am sure you could find something similar.

PHIDsswitch003.jpg

PHIDsswitch002.jpg

Here's the switch I use for my PHIDs. It's a simple switch that came with the PHIDs. Double-sided tape to sticky on the housing, and push on/push off. Simple. Effective. Ergonomically correct. Been working for something like 65,000 miles now. I (actually vectervp1 - thanks for the help Art) took apart the switch and added silicon for weatherproofing before mounting.
If you wanted, I am sure you could find something similar.
I also use a similar switch as Scoot for my Piaa fog lights, you can barely see it in this pic

IMG_1312.jpg

And want to say thatks to 1FJR for the switch tip, It fits...but barely !! :clapping: