Every one in a while you learn a lesson...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
Start confession...

Last night I was changing out the rear tire on the FJR and spent more time chatting to a friend than paying attention to what I was doing. Long story short, in the dark out on the driveway I failed to notice the all-important spacer that remained behind on the tire changer and went ahead and mounted the wheel without it. I discovered that when you start to tighten the axel bolt without the spacer, well... the part on which the rear caliper is mounted finally gives up and breaks...

End confession...

Now a couple of questions: I have been looking at parts diagrams and for the life of me can't find the part number for the part I need (circled in red):

FJRRearCaliperMounting.jpg

Second question: Since my '03 is non-ABS, I was assuming that the part would be different from later (ABS) years, but the diagram seems to be exactly the same (with only minor differences on the caliper itself -- see 2009 model below). Without a part number I don't know how to confirm that another year's part will work...

FJRRearCaliperMounting2009.jpg

Any light that can be shed on the subject would be most appreciative, and I promise not to talk so much or work in the dark!

If I'm not mistaken, that part is only sold together with the rear caliper assembly.

You should look on eBay as I've sometimes seen this part sold separately there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately, the part number for the entire caliper appears to be the same from 2003 through 2005 non-ABS. So, you may be able to get one from someone parting out a bike. Otherwise, a new one is about $400.

James is right about it being part of the entire caliper assembly. That there is the same part that galls out when the factory torques those bolts down too hard.

Ouch. I snapped that part on my first bike, my Suzuki Katana 600. Sadly your story is better than mine. I took off with the disk lock on the back disk, that sucker went right around, ripped off the rear caliper and put me and the bike on the side, popping off the side mirror. That was an embarassing day. I rode home with front brake only, which was unnerving for a noob who'd just had it ground into his head at the AMA training to always use both brakes. Fortunately Suzuki was kind enough to sell that part by itself. I'm quite surprised that Yamaha does this.

...that sucker went right around, ripped off the rear caliper and put me and the bike on the side, popping off the side mirror...
Oh noooo.... hurts just picturing it. I have ordered the needed part from eBay and its already shipped. Thanks all for your assistance!

Good luck with this. I happened to be changing a rear tire last night on my 07, with the help of my neighbor who is a bike mechanic. We were just about done getting the last bit of bead over the rim and could not find one of the tire irons. Looked and looked for 15 minutes. Finally I picked up the rim/tire and heard a "clink". Yep we left it inside the tire...

Good luck with this. I happened to be changing a rear tire last night on my 07, with the help of my neighbor who is a bike mechanic. We were just about done getting the last bit of bead over the rim and could not find one of the tire irons. Looked and looked for 15 minutes. Finally I picked up the rim/tire and heard a "clink". Yep we left it inside the tire...
Would have been fun trying to balance that one before installing on the bike.

I always end up having to change my tires in the middle of Texas summer. This is the type of thing that would lead to heavy drinking, cursing and crying.

I always end up having to change my tires in the middle of Texas summer. This is the type of thing that would lead to heavy drinking, cursing and crying.
At least you didn't put 4 quarts of high dollar oil into an FJR. :whistle: