Exhaust swap or modification?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you changed or modified the exhaust on your FJR?

• Yes, aftermarket

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Yes, modified (Trooper, other)

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • No, but plan to

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • No, and don't plan to

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • I changed or modified, but went back to stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

creg-ny-baa

Reaction score
I'm newish (this spring) to the world of the FJR. Truth is, I've got no real issue with the restrained exhaust note. Quiet is good, especially for long distances. My background is mostly BMW, and (as many of you may know) that community isn't known for exhaust mods. Didn't stop me, as I had Staintune on my last two Beemers. I've ridden sportbikes, and it's almost a given that you'll put an aftermarket pipe or system on one of those, possibly to the detriment of performance. So, here on the forum, I've read of folks fitting TBR, CSOne, Leo Vince, Akrapovic, and others, along with the Trooper (and similar) modifications. My curiosity was to see what sort of percentage of the members had made an exhaust change. Please vote and comment away!

-

(Hopefully this doesn't end up in NEPRT, at least not too quickly...)

Last edited by a moderator:
No and don't plan to.

I can think of lots of things to spend money on that would give me more pleasure than an aftermarket exhaust.

Sounds fine stock and not trying to impress anyone.

If stock system was damaged I would probably go aftermarket to save money.

I had planned on keeping OEM pipes, but the Trooper mod sounded appealing for it's slightly throatier rumble and low cost. I didn't want to take a chance on my stock pipes, but a deal came around on premodded pipes so I jumped.

They're OK, but I could do without the motorboating sound they make. Definitely don't sound as good as the Vance and Hines system I had on a previous GS1100E! I would have already swapped back to stock, but the stock gasket tore on one side during removal and I haven't gotten around to ordering a new gasket.

Holeshot cans and headers here.

Not overly loud, but a nice rumble when you get on it.

I like the sound of it ;)

Had a set of Leo Vince cans on the bike when I bought it. Not a bad sound (with the "quiet" baffles) but I switched back to the OEM. For me, quieter is better. One of these days, I'll put the LV up for sale. They need a good cleaning and probably a repack.

I have had Staintunes on my '06 FJR since I bought her when she was new. They are still on her and they still look new, plus they are warranted for life. Expensive, but along with Remus Hexacones, they are the finest stock-replacement exhaust money can buy for the FJR.

On my third FJR with stock exhaust. Don't need the noise...there are enough HDs around for that!

--G

Picked up a pair of Gen I exhaust pipes and modded them as much as i could. I have the originals hanging down stairs and I haven't put them back on yet. Most likely won't.

Dave

I trooper modded my OEM pipes. Sorry, I like the rumble. I don't want to set off every car alarm in gge neighborhood, or wake up people in their apartments, BUT my dad used to work on engines and o grew up listening to stroked 350s with glass packs.

As soon as the money and the right deal come together, I'll put a set of TwoBrothers or Remus. I like the look as much as I like the sound.

Sometimes when I'm running it hard, I'll turn off my music and just enjoy the engine noise. I love hearing it sing in the high revs. The highs and lows; even the transitions wake me up.

Two Brothers here and love them. Bought used in 2010 and still going strong. Very controllable noise. You can make them blast or run them stealth, all in that right wrist. No highway drone and just plain fun when I want to make noise. I grin when I go under bridges and blast them, still a kid I guess.

I originally planned on swapping mufflers but after about 6 months or so of riding decided I liked the stealth mode of a stock exhaust. I put on the Garauld tailcones just to make it look a little different. Wife has a Harley with a 2 into 1 pipe and one of my other bikes is a Buell with lots of mods so if I want to make noise I have the ability. At least with the stock pipes on the FJR, I no longer need to wear ear plugs on long trips.

Bought my bike in the winter of 08. Trailered home and before riding ordered a set of Leo Vince, carbon fibre based on a noise bite I heard on the internet. With the baffle out I wasn't excited about the sound, or at least it didn't sound the way I expected and hoped it would? Rode with them on for a couple of years when I had a bit of a get off and the cans got rashed. I had heard a set of Beowulf's on DJBill's bike at CFR 09. That for me was the sound a motorcycle should make! I replaced the rashed LV's with the BW's Titanium (blue tint) which makes the bike look way faster!

Bought my bike in the winter of 08. Trailered home and before riding ordered a set of Leo Vince, carbon fibre based on a noise bite I heard on the internet. With the baffle out I wasn't excited about the sound, or at least it didn't sound the way I expected and hoped it would?
Were your Leos the LV-Ones, or the ones with an outlet "spout?"

Bust Trooper'd mine at a Tech Day a while back. I liked it, but wanted to tone 'er down juuuuuust a bit. I added a set of Gerald's tail cones and I'm happy as can be.

Don't do the trooper mod unless you want aftermarket later...............lol............the mod is like going to a dope dealer for that first free taste.............you're going to want more................

I have a unique perspective on this. When I did my trooper mod, I decided to go for what came to be known as the "Stage one Trooper mod." Check out my write up about it here: CLICKY

I've heard FJR's with the Trooper mod. They are indeed louder than my Stage 1 mod. I experienced no decal popping, nor any discoloration of the chrome with that mod either. These were two items that were concerns of mine, but just doing the Stage 1 mod negated these issues.

Later on, I purchased a set of Staintunes from Skooter G on this forum. They have removable baffles as well, and are very slightly louder than my Stage 1 Trooper mod was. However, with the baffles out, they turn the FJR into a traveling symphony.

However, that said, I'd highly recommend the Stage One Trooper Mod. 5 minutes per side w/ a hole saw and leave it at that.

Hope that helps.

Gary

darksider #44

Yes, Leo Vince cans on my '05.

These have a great sound and I have gotten many compliments from other FJR owners when they hear them. Not bad at all for long trips but I always wear ear plugs anyway. They do improve the throttle response and mid-range has a noticeable power increase.

And they sound Veerrrrry good when you run it up through the gears, which I do every time I ride it because it sounds very good!

Every now and then I put the stock cans back on just because I hav them - but I always think its too quiet and the performance is just not as good.