Exhaust Tip Height on my new '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyD

Reaction score
Took delivery of a new 06 from MotrWorld in El Cajon, while at a friends house I put the bike up on the center stand. He noticed the right side of the exhaust tip is slightly highler than the left side. I confirmed this when I return home. The right can at the tip is 1/2 higher than the left side...

Is this normal?

Pix of exhaust

Closeup Pix of exhaust

Long Shot Pix of exhaust

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh, Johnny, we are a little anal, aren't we? :D Yes, your exhausts are not perfectly aligned. Better get a big pry bar. ;)

What's that floor made of? Corian? :p

The only other '06 I've seen (in person), the pipes looked just like that. Very slightly offset.

Sheesh, Johnny, we are a little anal, aren't we? :D
Ya think :lol: :lol: The worst part is I probably wouldn't have notived it as I usually wouldn't use the center stand, my buddy though asked to see how the centerstand worked, then knowing it would drive me nuts (he knows me to well) pointed out the difference. I'll take an asprin and try to forget it. :p

The floor is not corian :D , it is purty heavy expoxy and paint chips coated with imron polyurethane - .

I'm thinking about that pry bar :lol:

Well, first you need to make sure the floor is level, then make sure the center stand is exactly even, then make sure the bike is perfectly levl, then you can get out that big honkin' pry bar and straighten out those pipes..

:p

Actually, I am about as far from anal as you can get, but you can probably loosen up the mounting bolts for the cans and even them up a little. There should be enough tolerance in there for 1/2 inch.

What are you going to do after you get that first scratch?

That is a nice looking floor but even better is that collection of bikes.

This came up years ago and IIRC the mufflers are offset very slightly. They were on my 03' and the are on my 05'. The secret is to look at only one side at a time. :p

This came up years ago and IIRC the mufflers are offset very slightly. They were on my 03' and the are on my 05'. The secret is to look at only one side at a time. :p
Yup, that's standard. Can be adjusted to pretty much even, but then you are not allowed to lean in corners or you spoil the effect of all your work with the pry-bar

Pretty simple really... and there's a simple reason for it.

Mine came the same way, but it's real easy to fix.

Evidently when they are doing the final assembly on the bike they cinch up the header/muffler connections first, and then the muffler mounts. When they run down the bolts with their pre-set impact guns they don't hold the muffler... Hence, the left pipe gets rotated down at the back and the right pipe end gets rotated up when the bolts hit tight. Result? Pipes tweaked at different angles and tail heights.

Just loosen up the muffler hanger bolts, rotate as necessary to get into alignment, then hold (or have someone else) hold the end of the pipe in place. I rotated mine up at the rear as high as I could get 'em because I thought it looked better.

Hope this helps.

Dallara

Personally, I'd worry more about the apparent chicken strips on your tires... HAHAHAHA!!! JK... actually I cannot see them very well in the pics... just that flat spot in the middle. JK again!!!

Heidi

You may want to put a level on your back tire. That picture doesn't look like its sitting square to the floor. I think its all an illusion, well mostly an illusion.

Got me worried since my 05 came from Moto World of El Cajon.

Had to run out and check. :blink:

11" from center of exhaust pipe to center of reflector

(both sides the same)

21.25" inches center of exhaust pipe to "Corian garage floor"

(both sides the same)

-On center stand

-Floor pretty damn close to level, slight angle towards the cage for drainage.

100_2661.jpg

I guess the 05's are not only faster, they were assembled to better standards ;)

In checking with Yamaha's home office...this is something that is being addressed on the '07's. Apparently it will be a mechanism something like the windshield setup that will allow the owner to raise or lower the exhaust pipe to a level that satisfies the owner.

:)