exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the twins

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site, but my husband and I own 2 FJR'S, we put a 1 1/2 inch lowering kit on mine and last night turning outof a parking lot, I ran over a curb and dented my exhaust system. OUCH anyone had the same problem.

So basically, the question here is does this restict the ehaust flow in a manner that damage will be done to engine? It looks like the pipe has about 60% flow now. I am concerned that we should replace the header comming out of the engine /heads. The dent is right where the pipe on the right side turns back to join the other pipe on the right hand side. A new ehaust pipe is $750.00 .... so OUCH that Hurts !! Any sugestions or cheaper fixes?

I have considered cutting the collapsed section out and and having a patch welded back on, however the question of metalurgy, (type of material) any help / sugetions with this thought ?

Follow-up to this post --- (Oct. 2007) So now I have ran the bike to the 4000 mile service and have pulled the plugs to inspect and see if there is difference in the four plugs. The dent in the pipe, which restricted the exhaust approx 20% has not shown any significant change to the plug (ie. no different discoloring to the cylinder with the dented exhaust). and there is no noticable effect in the running ability between my bike at 3500 miles and my wifes bike with the dented exhaust. I guess we got lucky or I should not have been soooooo concerned. Thank God the first dent was on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I am new to this site, but my husband and I own 2 FJR'S, we put a 1 1/2 inch lowering kit on mine and last night turning outof a parking lot, I ran over a curb and dented my exhaust system. OUCH anyone had the same problem.
A couple of people I know have lowered their FJRs and have mentioned that the ground clearance suffers a bit. You'll just have to "pick your spots" a little more carefully. Luckily, those I've spoken with are not "canyon carvers" so they don't worry about dragging hard parts while riding briskly in the corners.

I have considered cutting the collapsed section out and and having a patch welded back on, however the question of metalurgy, (type of material) any help / suggestions with this thought
I don't remember reading this in the original post, but now I see that you've dented the header, not the muffler, so:

I'm with Ross on this one. Those headers are stainless steel, so a "patch" might be relatively easy but if they can get an expander in there that might be easier. However, there are catalytic converters in the collectors so anything used to expand the pipe would have to be pushed in from the "head" end, requiring you to remove the header to do so.

Maybe you could post in the "parts wanted" section of the forum. There are several who have replaced their complete exhaust system or resurrected wrecked FJRs who might have a useable part to make a patch from.

Last edited by a moderator:
750 dollars can get you a nice set of slip ons. My guess is wait to see if a forum member buys a set, or either try to pull the dent out.

plus this post is no good w/o pictures.

as for the restriction harming the engine. I wish I had a good answer for that, but I know someone will.

You might try running an expander up there if you have a straight shot at it...
Thanks for the suggestion, I have looked at this but I have not taken the pipe off yet to look into the back end. I beleive that there is a catalitic converter in the way.

He will be back, phone call.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Found you an ENTIRE system from an '07 with FIFTY miles for $100. Does that sound like a good deal? Here's the link:
https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4027

Hope it works out. Later.

JC
I e-mailed the guy asking about the exhaust, he notes that he would rather sell the exhaust local instead of shipping. Since he lives in Washington and I live in West Virginia I do not think this is practical. I have talked with a couple of mechanics and they say that I should just run the bike awhile and then pull the plugs to see just how rich the one cylinder may or may not be running. I guess I will give it a few miles and see what the plugs look like.

Thank you for the reply.

A couple of people I know have lowered their FJRs and have mentioned that the ground clearance suffers a bit. You'll just have to "pick your spots" a little more carefully. Luckily, those I've spoken with are not "canyon carvers" so they don't worry about dragging hard parts while riding briskly in the corners.

I have considered cutting the collapsed section out and and having a patch welded back on, however the question of metalurgy, (type of material) any help / suggestions with this thought
I don't remember reading this in the original post, but now I see that you've dented the header, not the muffler, so:

I'm with Ross on this one. Those headers are stainless steel, so a "patch" might be relatively easy but if they can get an expander in there that might be easier. However, there are catalytic converters in the collectors so anything used to expand the pipe would have to be pushed in from the "head" end, requiring you to remove the header to do so.

Maybe you could post in the "parts wanted" section of the forum. There are several who have replaced their complete exhaust system or resurrected wrecked FJRs who might have a useable part to make a patch from.
Thanks for your interest. I am going to raise the bike back up a little (From 1.5" to about 1") since we live in West Virginia and riding is always similar to the "Canyon Carving" thing. There is still the issue of "picking your spot" so I appreciate your comment as it is probably better received from someone other than the husband of this crew. After I lowered the bike for my wife, the first pipe dragging was over on the Snake (Rt. 421) in Tennessee. She caught a rock and creased the pipe; I considered raising the bike then but meet some opposition, now I know I am going to.

I guess at this point we are going to run the bike a few miles and then pull the plugs, evaluate just how the restriction is effecting or not affecting the bike. It still runs out good, no noticeable performance loss. I may get a patch or, one suggestion I had was to get a body shop to weld a dent puller tab on the exhaust and have them pull it back out after heating the pipe. I do not think an expander will work. I will have about three months of downtime to make repairs this winter if there is no issue between now and then.

If someone has a header pipe I would entertain the thought of purchasing it from them and I may take your advice of a post on the "Parts Wanted" section.

Again thanks for input.

A dual-sporter over on advrider put a small amount of water in the damaged area of his header pipe and stuck it in the freezer, the pipe came out perfect. :)

know anybody with a big freezer?

I e-mailed the guy asking about the exhaust, he notes that he would rather sell the exhaust local instead of shipping.
Why don't you start a thread asking for members who live around that area? If you're lucky enough to find somebody, I'm sure he/she won't mind picking it up for you and shipping it your way. I'd offer $50 for the bother.

You'd end up with an almost new $200 FULL system, and am sure you can sell the cans for more than that, so you'd end up with basically free headers. Just a thought.

JC

I'm sure the best way to remove the dent if its on the stainless portion is to do as mentiond above and weld a tab on the dent, heat it up and pull the dent out. Remove the tab and polish smooth. Just $.02 peso's worth from an old welder. PM. <>< :D

There are companies that may be able to fix this pretty cheaply. They plug one end, shove high pressure compressed air in the other, heat the dented area, and the dent will pop out. Refinish and it's as good as new for probably $100 or so.

Never heard of the freezer trick. But, adventure/off roaders often find the inexpensive methods to fixing these type of things, so it may just work.

Hope to see you and hubby at the Eastern Owners Meeting in Lewisburg next month.

Got a set of 04's in real good condition if still intrested.
I ask my wife to reply and it should have gone something like this ...... I am not sure if 04's will fit on an 07. Do you or someone else know if 04 pipes will fit on an 07? I know someone can answer this question. Other than size, I guess the sensor connection is the same? I have been so busy at work, not much time to look up, when I get time I will look into compatibilty. I would be interested in the pipe if they are interchangable.

There are companies that may be able to fix this pretty cheaply. They plug one end, shove high pressure compressed air in the other, heat the dented area, and the dent will pop out. Refinish and it's as good as new for probably $100 or so.
Never heard of the freezer trick. But, adventure/off roaders often find the inexpensive methods to fixing these type of things, so it may just work.

Hope to see you and hubby at the Eastern Owners Meeting in Lewisburg next month.
I was told to go to a store and look at the motorcycle magazines, there I could find information on a company that repairs pipes. The freezer thing sounds do-able although I do not know anyone that has a freezer that does not have half a cow or something in it so I coulld try the theroy.

As for the owners meeting we are talking abotu running up even if it is Saturday for a round trip. I have not made any reservations and probably wont as it is only about 2 hrs. (FJR Time) from our home. So maybe we will see you there.

I'm sure the best way to remove the dent if its on the stainless portion is to do as mentiond above and weld a tab on the dent, heat it up and pull the dent out. Remove the tab and polish smooth. Just $.02 peso's worth from an old welder. PM. <>< :D
This is sounding more like the best and quickest fix. I have the gaskets to reinstall already so the pipe is coming off this winter. I hate to do it now as the riding season is still upon us but this January the pipe will be fixed. If I can buy a used pipe I will change them out and pursue the fix.

I apreciate all the in put from folks. This was the first dent / scratch on the bike and the first one is always the most upsetting, I am just glad it is on the bottom of the bike and not the sides or top. So maybe I should quit winning, shut up and let the wife ride. Really I have been concerned more about the engine damage that may be done, most folks have said they have seen allot worse.

Anyway thanks for the in put.