Exhausts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croc

Reaction score
Purchased myself a present for Christmas, a set of Staintunes. After receiving your considered opinions, I stuck with a home grown quality product. It has gone from a stealth machine to something that sounds like a serious 1300 without being obtrusive. At speeds over 100kph you still get the turbine whine, which is quiet for touring, I don't know what its like with the baffels in cos they were the first thing I removed. Punted around town and you get a bit of chatter as well as a wonderful sound. Have not done a fuel check to see what difference it has made.....if any, will report on this to the group later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my Staintunes fitted today after a long week because they don't supply gaskets with them, anyway I also took the baffles out before it was even started, they do sound nice.

Had a set of Micron's on my Blackbird previously which had the best note, I just sold them to someone who had staintunes and the difference on the blackbird was amazing against the staintunes.

But I am not about too go and get Micron's, everyone i know has Staintunes and are happy with them.

croc, what state do you live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my Staintunes fitted today after a long week because they don't supply gaskets with them, anyway I also took the baffles out before it was even started, they do sound nice.Had a set of Micron's on my Blackbird previously which had the best note, I just sold them to someone who had staintunes and the difference on the blackbird was amazing against the staintunes.

But I am not about too go and get Micron's, everyone i know has Staintunes and are happy with them.

croc, what state do you live in.
I'm currently in Darwin, moved here last June, so I am experiencing the 'wet' (monsoons are highly overrated). They have also just introduced open road speed limits of 130kph which were effective from 1 January this year. The FJR is a fantastic open road tourer. Its fast and comfortable and has a bigger fuel range than any sports bikes.

Any noticeable performance improvements, boys?
Rgds from FNQ

+1
I have only had them on a week, but have noticed a definate increase in power, especially in the mid range. I ride to Adelaide River every Saturday which is a 250km round trip out of Darwin with a bunch of guys, on bikes include a couple of TDM's, a Rocket III, Ducatti 800 & Monster and an FJR with sidecar. My FJR has always been good at lifting its skirts and dusting these guys, but it seemed to come a bit easier last Saturday. Could be that I was nailing it a bit harder to listed to the wonderful sound. The guys all commented on how much better it sounded, although I don't find it obtrusive.

I am currently doing a fuel check to see if there is any diffence. Cannot imagine that it will make much difference as it gets 5.5L per 100kms at 100kph (60mph) and 6L per 100kms is ridden constantly over 160kph (100mph). Will let you know.

I'm ordering 'Tunes in the spring. Love the look and the sound.

100% improvement on looks, you won't be disappointed.

Its now got me thinking about a K&N air filter and Power Commander. Do I need the increase in power?

Rgds from FNQ

Hi Troppo, yeah see my response. How is the bike, enjoying it. I rode the latest FJR in Sydney when I returned for Christmas and was impressed with the way they have changed the fairings to dissapate heat. Also test rode the Rocket III which was interesting.

Don't know about where you are but we have had a monsoon sitting on us for a while. I've managed to time the ride in and home and have not yet been caught however on last saturdays ride we were caught in a torrential downpour whilst having coffee. Except for the biscuites which became a little soggy, everything was dry again after five minutes down the road. The 'wet' is interesting.

Rgds from FNQ

Hi Troppo, yeah see my response. How is the bike, enjoying it. I rode the latest FJR in Sydney when I returned for Christmas and was impressed with the way they have changed the fairings to dissapate heat. Also test rode the Rocket III which was interesting.

Don't know about where you are but we have had a monsoon sitting on us for a while. I've managed to time the ride in and home and have not yet been caught however on last saturdays ride we were caught in a torrential downpour whilst having coffee. Except for the biscuites which became a little soggy, everything was dry again after five minutes down the road. The 'wet' is interesting.
Hello mate - I'm over to the right of you, in Far North Qld... :)

Know what you mean about the weather - we haven't got the monsoon yet - just the *(&&^% humidity....sheet, it is hot in leathers... :rolleyes: !!! I'm hiding inside in the air con today....

The beast has done 1000 k's now - she is ready for her first service. I got the bags the other day - had to wait for them...they are easy to install, and I'm very impressed with the design.

The bike is going very well - our Oz models must be mapped differently to the US ones, as I don't have any of the surging problems reported elsewhere on this board. The throttle is stiff, though - have asked the dealer to reduce the main throttle spring 1 turn at the first service....

One attribute that really stands out is the handling. I live close to some magnificent twisties (which I know very well) - the FJR performs surprisingly well for a big girl - certainly much better than my Blackbird, although not as good as my last bike...a K6 GSXR-1000... :)

The heat is not a problem - Yammie have certainly fixed it..I have ridden an 02 and an 03... the 06 is a big, big improvement...over 100k's the airblast on your feet is actually cold...it can get a little hot in traffic...but that is at 34 deg and 85% humidity... <_<

How is the 130 k's limit? Do the cops give you any leeway?

Rgds

Glenn

Rgds from FNQ

Hello mate - I'm over to the right of you, in Far North Qld... :)

Know what you mean about the weather - we haven't got the monsoon yet - just the *(&&^% humidity....sheet, it is hot in leathers... :rolleyes: !!! I'm hiding inside in the air con today....

The beast has done 1000 k's now - she is ready for her first service. I got the bags the other day - had to wait for them...they are easy to install, and I'm very impressed with the design.

The bike is going very well - our Oz models must be mapped differently to the US ones, as I don't have any of the surging problems reported elsewhere on this board. The throttle is stiff, though - have asked the dealer to reduce the main throttle spring 1 turn at the first service....

One attribute that really stands out is the handling. I live close to some magnificent twisties (which I know very well) - the FJR performs surprisingly well for a big girl - certainly much better than my Blackbird, although not as good as my last bike...a K6 GSXR-1000... :)

The heat is not a problem - Yammie have certainly fixed it..I have ridden an 02 and an 03... the 06 is a big, big improvement...over 100k's the airblast on your feet is actually cold...it can get a little hot in traffic...but that is at 34 deg and 85% humidity... <_<

How is the 130 k's limit? Do the cops give you any leeway?

Rgds

Glenn
I only got back from Christmas in Sydney, so missed the first couple of weeks the law was introduced. The boys tell me that much was made in the news of speeding drivers/riders in those first few weeks but I have heard nothing since. As you can appreciate the Territory is a huge expanse of nothing and the NT Police do not have the resources to cover General Duties let alone highway patrol. Provided you are not silly and pick spots you can still get good speeds (in the past the speed on weekends had a direct relationship to the previous weeks work frustrations), I still hit 200KPH last weekend chasing a Duke but mostly sat on 120kph which seems to be a sweet spot.

Got a set of helmet speakers which velcro in, wires tuck in neatly and connect to an i-pod. Sound and volume is great and its better than sing to youself on a trip (who ever remembers the second verse).

I rode the 06 in Sydney whilst I was there and would only swap my bike for another 06 FJR because of the heat shielding and ABS. I also rode the Rocket III which was interesting. Lots of grunt but you have to set it up for corners well before you arrive. Don't know that the riding position is condusive for long distance. You are putting allot of presure on your spine. Perhaps a Cafe Cruiser.

Would love some twisty bits here but tyres wear out in the middle.......sides are great. I have a Dry Rider Jacket instead of leather which provides protection and keeps you reasonably cool. It has a couple of inserts for wet and cold but I prefer to leave them out. As you can appreciate you don't stay wet long and its not cold.