External microphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
Recently got a zumo 660 and i'm interesting in getting an external microphone to clip onto my helmet to enable phone conversation. Garmins got one on their website , but then dont really state its for motorcycle use. it does come with different clips, but i cant tell if there for clipping onto a helmet.

I'm looking for something that i can just clip on and off easily since this isnt something i plan on using all the time. The units harness has a mic and headphone jack that makes it easy to plug in and out.

Is anyone using the mic sold by garmin?

Is anyone using something similiar that would work for my application?

thanx

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a starcom headset and the adapter to plug it into the Zumo - should be about $80 total.
Not really an option for me since i need use "in ear" earbuds with noise reduction. i've got the earbuds, but need the mic. I've heard great things about the starcom, but i havent been able to use any other solutions (including blue tooth) since i need a noise canceling solution with my ears.

repost: looks like i need to take a closer look at the starcom since they have some application that may work. Ill take a closer look.

thanx

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Garmin external mic in my full face helmet with my Zumo 550. It works great, as long as you don't go any faster than about 10mph :) . Beyond that, the other end of the call just hears deafening wind noise.

Starcom makes a headset adapter cable that has their microphone and a female jack for earbuds. You could use that, combined with the Starcom headset adapter cable for Zumo to make the system you're after. It might be a bit expensive by the time you're done.

The Garmin external mic is a total POS for a motorcycle. I bought one and eventually threw it away.

Starcom makes a headset adapter cable that has their microphone and a female jack for earbuds. You could use that, combined with the Starcom headset adapter cable for Zumo to make the system you're after. It might be a bit expensive by the time you're done.
The Garmin external mic is a total POS for a motorcycle. I bought one and eventually threw it away.

I just installed the starcom with my zumo 660. It works quite well. I didn't think I would use it for music, but I do. I didn't think I would use it with my phone (blue tooths to the zumo along with all the contact information) but I have. I won't be using the phone too much on the rides as that is one reason for the rides. But it is nice to be able to make a call without having to take the helmet off - which is a little difficult to do while riding.

I got the helmet speaker/microphone and the plug for ear buds. I haven't gotten the form fitted earbuds yet, but I have tried the system with my ipod earbuds and it works ok.

Jeff at BikeEffects is worth calling with your questions.

That's what I'm talking about, about $80 when I priced it out.

I tried the Garmin external mic in my full face helmet with my Zumo 550. It works great, as long as you don't go any faster than about 10mph :) . Beyond that, the other end of the call just hears deafening wind noise.
Ditto - it does come with 3 clips. One large, one small, and one that has tape on one side that you can stick to something