Extra brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
Awhile back I was riding down I5 and stopped at a Flying J truck stop for some water and a butt break. While I was there, I ran across a set of 2" LED running lights for a semi. There were 4 in a pack for only $20, so I picked up a set with the intent of making some extra brake lights in the future. Well, I finnaly got the machine time at work, so here they are.

It's actually a rather intricate mount, fitted tightly to the lights. The lights probably would stay in place just off of a preasure fit, but I opted to epoxy the lights onto the bracket for safty.

DSC_2410.jpg

Prior to painting the bracket black. I should have painted them before epoxying the lights on :blink: The large holes are for mounting to the lower licence plate bolt holes, and the small holes are for zip ties to hold the wiring harness. Everything is soldered, shrink wrapped, loomed, and wire tied B)

DSC_2409.jpg

I wired my existing brake light back to on/off bypassing my StopLight modulator. I then wired the LED lights to the modulator so when the brakes are hit, the main tail light lights solid, and the LED lights flash in sequence. I figgured all of the lights flashing might be a bit much.

DSC_2405.jpg

Amazing what bored machinests come up with :assassin:

Silent: It seems that your problem is how you wired it or you have a bad ground wire. Go back and re read the instructions and see if you are getting power from the correct wire. I wired mine in the other day and it works great.

You should not need a resistor for your lights, if one was needed it would be with the kit or it would tell you what size you neded

Silent: It seems that your problem is how you wired it or you have a bad ground wire. Go back and re read the instructions and see if you are getting power from the correct wire. I wired mine in the other day and it works great.
You should not need a resistor for your lights, if one was needed it would be with the kit or it would tell you what size you neded
I've double and tripple checked the wiring, it's right. I went to the manufactures web site for the Back Off modulator that I have, and it states specifically "Will not work with LED lights" :blink: Go figgure. I'll have to drop $40 for other version that will work with LED's I guess.

Go Ray - September seems to be your month for farkling - I like the lights. Of course we may start to think that you have a light fetish - :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: