extra key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
I realize this is probably been discussed but I couldn't find a tread anywhere...

I bought my 05 FJR used and it only came with one key. I've tried Wal-Mart, Lowes, and a couple of local shops in the Birmingham area. They all tell me that they can't duplicate my key.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do I need to do to get an extra key to my FJR? I don't want to get stuck with a motorcycle and a lost or broken key without a back up close by.

Go to a professional locksmith. Probably the local one that doesn't have the best neon sign in front, but local reputation of being good or doing things the others won't. Probably going to cost more than $2.99 because of the special blank, but maybe about $10.

The McLock places usually don't have that next tier of blanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same answer from a locksmith - they wouldn't do car/motorcycle keys anymore.

Found the "Key Hut" little building at a local shopping center. She made the key with no problem. $5.

Yamaha dealer said they'd have to order one for me if I had the number, etc etc etc.

Iffn you have the number (can a dealer get it from a VIN?), then the key the Yammie dealer can get for you will be already cut for your bike.

Look in the 'Bin-o-facts' section of the forum. It lists they type of key blank that will work.

I realize this is probably been discussed but I couldn't find a tread anywhere... I bought my 05 FJR used and it only came with one key. I've tried Wal-Mart, Lowes, and a couple of local shops in the Birmingham area. They all tell me that they can't duplicate my key.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do I need to do to get an extra key to my FJR? I don't want to get stuck with a motorcycle and a lost or broken key without a back up close by.
I just ordered 2 keys from John, he ships worldwide 30 bucks incl. mailing to Switzerland. Give him the code and if you don't have one talk to him he's a licensed locksmith in CA...

https://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks.html

I realize this is probably been discussed but I couldn't find a tread anywhere... I bought my 05 FJR used and it only came with one key. I've tried Wal-Mart, Lowes, and a couple of local shops in the Birmingham area. They all tell me that they can't duplicate my key.

You have your answer on your key. I recall I had to something different to get my spare, just that it wasn't the standard way.

Meanwhile, I have carried in my mind a long time the memory of a fellow and his bud's at Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Blvd. in CA looking and looking for his key. He had been in the act of putting it into his ignition, and it slipped into some hideout on his bike! I don't recall the outcome but made me think. I have a little "wallet" that hangs around my neck when I ride, it has a deep pocket in it, I have my new "spare" in there in case something happens to my daily use key. Never have lost a car or cycle key, but, just seems a little better to have that spare, and the "wallet" is always on my neck when I ride, so it's not going anywhere. Can't say I do the same for my vehicle keys, but, when I drive, I always have pockets, my riding gear, not the same.

FWIW

Old thread,but here's my 2 cents:

I carry a spare key in my Aerostitch Darien jacket so it's always with me. I use it daily to open a saddlebag and stash my mail while the bike is idling on the sidestand. Plus it'll be there if I ever lose my main key.

A spare key is in the bottom of my left panel glove box

I have black duct tape over it sealing it into the bottom and it's quite hard to tell it's there

I can pop open the lid anytime I want whether a key is in the ignition or not

but looking into the box when empty, the key under the black tape is not apparent

my local locksmith made me spare keys cut from my official Yammy key with his "all metal" blanks (no black plastic "top"), so that "flat" key is the one as spare in the bottom of the glove box

hope that helps someone,

Mike in Nawlins'

I found out by mistake that if you get a spare made with a slightly shorter blank key (was the closest thing the hardware store had) the key will work in the sidebags, but not in the ignition. Turned out to be handy. I leave it in the front storage compartment to use if I want to get something out of the side case while the bike is runniing. Since it does not work in the ignition even if someone forces the compartemnt open they won't be stealing my bike.

A spare key is in the bottom of my left panel glove box
I have black duct tape over it sealing it into the bottom and it's quite hard to tell it's there

I can pop open the lid anytime I want whether a key is in the ignition or not

but looking into the box when empty, the key under the black tape is not apparent

my local locksmith made me spare keys cut from my official Yammy key with his "all metal" blanks (no black plastic "top"), so that "flat" key is the one as spare in the bottom of the glove box

hope that helps someone,

Mike in Nawlins'

It's gonna help me, Mike. Next time I'm in Nawlins and need a ride, that is... ;)

Since this thread has been "reborn," gonna toss this in: I checked the cost of a key from the dealership some time back, it was at least $25, maybe $30. The parts guy recommended a locksmith instead. It was easy to find one who could match the blank, $3 or so, as others have said. When I got the new (current) bike, the P.O. had ordered three extras from Yamaha, so I've got plenty. I took one out to the garage and whacked the plastic tip a few times with the old ball peen till it cracked, pulled it off. Stuck it in the inside pocket of my wallet. My always-there, unobtrusive little emergency key.