Face shield fog reduction

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So the last few times I've ridden I have had to combat the face shield fogging up on the inside due to the cold temps. It is worst when standing still as then there is no air moving to help clear the shield. Obviously there are lot's of products out there that will make the shield less susceptible to getting fogged, but when it's really cold, even my eye glasses end up getting fogged up when I come to a stop due to warm moist breath being trapped inside the full face helmet.

My solution is usually to crack the face-shield open and try to breathe as shallow as possible until I get moving.

So here is my idea: A small "reverse snorkel" that you stick into your mouth that routes that steamy breath down and out of the helmet. You'd have to learn to be a mouth breather to use it, but I think this would completely eliminate any fogging in the face shield, even when you first put the helmet on, before you get going, which most people will say is the worst time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the Pinlock system for my Shoei RF1000. Hope it works ($65), the snorkel is an interesting idea.

Great idea Fred. Make sure the extrerior tube (exhaust so to speak) faces backwards so when moving you don't get ram air introduced into the helmet, and the hot breath doesn't try to re-enter from the open face shield.

I just ordered the Pinlock system for my Shoei RF1000. Hope it works ($65), the snorkel is an interesting idea.
I just got the pinlock for my RF-1000 about a month ago. Works as advertised! Hasn't fogged up, yet, in daily commuting use. Best thing I've tried yet, and I've tried a lot of them.

Does it prevent the shield from fogging with the shield closed at 30 degrees F while sitting stationary (without opening the shield)?

As an explanation, I generally don't have big fogging issues until the temp dips. Otherwise I just open and close the shield as needed.

Wow!! Excellent. That was another thought I had, to seal the eye port away from the mouth and nose. That looks like it work work great. Thanks J80s!!

Way back in the days of yore, when I was a just out of high school and commuting all year on my TS185...I encounterd the same problem when the cold days hit. They had no pinlocks back then, and riding in winter usually meant keeping the visor cracked and holding your breath at traffic lights.

But one day, after buying an intresting contraption at a local head shop I made myself a "breath rerouter" that worked quite well. The thing from the head shop was basicly an oxygen mask like this:

N12453669_32127896_9556.jpg

With a pipe at the other end of the hose. I cut off the pipe, shortend the hose to about 7 inches or so, and fitted the mask with some thinner elastic straps to hold it on my face.

I think I had to cut the mask a bit to fit a bit better, but once on, I could breath through the attached tube. I put on my helmet , fed the tube back along the side of my jaw where I had a loop of rubber to hold it there,. Yes it had to point to the rear to work well. I had tried routing the tube down through the neck of my jacket, thinking my warm breath would keep my chest warmer, but there was not enough fresh air coming in to keep me concious...lol.

Even at insane speeds in below freezing temps with the visor closed it never fogged up.

I could also quickly re-attatch the pipe if need be.

KM

:lol:

:lol:

Hey wait!! I might just know where to find those gismos (besides a head shop) but where would I find the pipe? :blink:

Pin Lok system works quite well. Won't keep your eyeglasses from fogging. It also causes extra glare from oncoming headlights at night, in my experience.

Fred, I'm an eyeglass wearer as well, so I empatize. If you go with it, I would have concerns in a crash. Having an object in your mouth could possibly kinda maybe cause dental or puncture injuries. If it got stuck in your airway it could be problematic. Just thinking out loud.

I'm not trying to rain on your idea, just thinking from a nursing perspective.

You mean something like this? As I was reading your post, I thought, "Hey, I have something that might work." This is a nasal mask that I use with my CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) to treat my sleep apnea. So I went and dug it out of my nightstand and took these pictures. I normally don't use it during the night. I use my over-the-nose mask. So I am going on a 60 mile run tomorrow and will try it out and post results for you. Sitting here in my living room trying it out, I could not make my glasses fog at all. I normally use a Pin Lok shield, which you can see in the pictures. I don't normally have a problem with fogging the face shield, but the glasses are always a problem, especially, as you note, at a stop in traffic.

This is how it fits on the face.

P1010550.JPG

This is what it looks like in my hand. Very light weight, easy to put on.

P1010551.JPG

This is what it looks like in place under my Nolan flip front helmet.

P1010553.JPG

Side view showing how the hose exits. It could be hanging down in front of my chest if needed.

P1010554.JPG

This shows the results with my face shield down, with me breathing through my nose, as I normally would. My glasses are clear.

P1010556.JPG

This shows the results with my face shield down, sans nasal mask, breathing through my nose normally. My glasses are fogged.

P1010562.JPG

I tried the Shoei breath guard but that just deflected the warm moist air onto my sunglasses and immediately fogged them up. Haven't had any light issues with the pinlock. Only have used it down to about 36 deg so far, but even at a stop and with the NOJ Quiet Rider Deluxe helmet skirt installed, it didn't fog up.

Pinlock is working great, use it since 2 years now, even at 30 and below, when stop at a redlight no fog at all.

Pinlock is working great, use it since 2 years now, even at 30 and below, when stop at a redlight no fog at all.
I've been using a 'breath box' in my HJC for the last 2 winters, and I like it. If it fogs up your glasses/sunglasses, that may mean you need to adjust the 'nose bridge' so that it fits against the side of your nose.

I've ridden down into the 20's so far this year, and fogging is *almost* eliminated. I do still occasionally crack the shield just a bit at a stop.