Factory heated grip questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

road runner

Reaction score
Hi gang

I want to install heated grips, vista-cruise,bar ends. I'm thinking of using factory heated grip kit, vista cruise, top gun or manic salamander bar ends. I have some questions & hope some of you can help.

Factory heated grip kit:

1. Do they get hot? I assume yes

2. Do they use a lot of power? I assume no

3. Are they harder than stock grips? I've heard yes

4. If so can you still feel heat thru grip puppies?

5. Will vista fit or do I have to move throttle housing or shim bar ends? There is no room now.

Bar end weights:

1. I think Top gun looks better, but they're not as heavy & they don't contact bar like manic salamander. Which one works better?

I'm thinking of factory grips because they may generate more heat with less power, I don't know. They look & fit nice. Easy to install, plug & play deal.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks A.C.

Road,

I've not had experience with the factory heated grips but I know there's some blowhard that posted some info here.

Seriously, the DualStar/Symtec's with the HeatTroller have worked great for me and they were easy to install. Good luck and let us know if we can help with questions.

FjrVfr

Factory heated grip kit:1. Do they get hot? I assume yes

5. Will vista fit or do I have to move throttle housing or shim bar ends? There is no room now.

Bar end weights:

1. I think Top gun looks better, but they're not as heavy & they don't contact bar like manic salamander. Which one works better?
1. Never got a thermometer out, but through gloves they are between very warm and hot, depending on the gloves and how cold it is. Having them and then adding a 60+ mph breeze is like putting your gloved hands on a warm pipe in a really cold freezer. If you ride with a couple of fingers on the clutch and brake levers, the grips won't help those finger tips much.

2. Not lots and lots, but they are a draw. Search back thru the threads and I remember somebody posting the watts and amps somewhere.

3. A bit, yes, but not really significantly.

4. Adding grip puppies would be like putting a layer of insulation between your hand and the heated grips. You might want to think about this one.

5. Vista Cruise wouldn't work and I had to go to a bar-end throttle lock.

As far as bar-ends you might cruise thru the never-ending threads, as it's a perception.

Bob

Road,
I've not had experience with the factory heated grips but I know there's some blowhard that posted some info here.

Seriously, the DualStar/Symtec's with the HeatTroller have worked great for me and they were easy to install. Good luck and let us know if we can help with questions.

FjrVfr
FjrVfr

Thanks for the info. Holly cow! There is a lot of great info in here. The post by ionbeam is awesome(very smart). Yours is good also because now I won't waste time & money. This is just what I was looking for. I guess I should have done a search for heated grips & I would have found all this info. Thanks again for pointing me in the right directoin.

Now I just have to deside between factory grip kit & grip puppies or Dual Star & HeatTroller & BMW grips. If you take price out of the picture I'm still having a hard time deciding.

I think the Yamaha kit senses voltage & sends a trouble code, which is kind of neat if it is true. Does anyone know if this is true? Also would I still feel heat thru grip puppies?

Thanks again A.C.

Factory heated grip kit:1. Do they get hot? I assume yes

Bar end weights:

1. Never got a thermometer out, but through gloves they are between very warm and hot, depending on the gloves and how cold it is. Having them and then adding a 60+ mph breeze is like putting your gloved hands on a warm pipe in a really cold freezer. If you ride with a couple of fingers on the clutch and brake levers, the grips won't help those finger tips much.

2. Not lots and lots, but they are a draw. Search back thru the threads and I remember somebody posting the watts and amps somewhere.

3. A bit, yes, but not really significantly.

4. Adding grip puppies would be like putting a layer of insulation between your hand and the heated grips. You might want to think about this one.

5. Vista Cruise wouldn't work and I had to go to a bar-end throttle lock.

As far as bar-ends you might cruise thru the never-ending threads, as it's a perception.

Bob
Checkswrecks

Thanks for the info. Why did'nt vista work ? Couldn't you move the throttle/switch assem in enough to get bar end on ?

AC,

I had factory heated grips put on my 07A at the dealership. You can turn the stock dial to regulate the heat and seem just fine for me in SW Wisconsin. The dealership installed them at a part of the deal to purchase the FJR. I also have the G2 and Throttlemeister installed and all work in perfect harmony. I am satisfied with the heat output on the factory grips but can't give you a comparison to aftermarket heated grips.

Mark aka Eworth

Hi gangI want to install heated grips, vista-cruise,bar ends. I'm thinking of using factory heated grip kit, vista cruise, top gun or manic salamander bar ends. I have some questions & hope some of you can help.

Factory heated grip kit:

1. Do they get hot? I assume yes

Bar end weights:

I'm thinking of factory grips because they may generate more heat with less power, I don't know. They look & fit nice. Easy to install, plug & play deal.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks A.C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again A.C.
My pleasure.

One bonus I forgot to mention was that the heat troller saves you a little real estate. I've got the troller for the grips and a toggle (unswitched) for my heated vest/battery tender on that same panel. I might even be able to squeeze a third switch onto it. Oh, no - another farkle!

Good luck,

FjrVfr

Troll.jpg