fairing whistle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnewlf

Reaction score
Still getting used to my' 06 . I noticed a high pitched whistle, not loud, seemingly near the bottom of the windshield when full raised. Any ideas what causes this? Otherwise the stock shield works well for me.

Copy this: +windshield +whistle then paste it in the search box. This should produce several good threads that discuss the issue and provide various solutions. There were too many good hits to cherry pick just one or two for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ah heck, just cheat and give him the link to the search you performed
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -Chinese proverb
Or, it could be said like this:

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life. :lol:

(Warming up for Friday, can't ride so I may as well hijack, crash and trash serious threads.)

As my old link doesn't work anymore, here is the new one showing where the whistle comes from.

Whistle from air entering these points:

https://tinyurl.com/39ww9h

Fix is to block these spaces with tape or something....I just left mine alone, it does not bother me..

KM

My bike is the only one left that will whistle at me, it's either hair club for men or leave the bike alone. My hair was never that great anyways.

The insipid whistling created by my “POC” HJC Symax helmet overshadows the tiny whistle from the windscreen.

Note: Do Not Purchase an HJC Symax!!!!

Jason

The insipid whistling created by my “POC” HJC Symax helmet overshadows the tiny whistle from the windscreen.
Note: Do Not Purchase an HJC Symax!!!!

Jason
Feel your pain-my old Arai Signet does the same..Time for a new bucket-maybe the new Shoei flip up

What I did to stop that whistle is to remove the screen and unbolt the two part screen base then I put a beed of black rtv and bolted everything back up......looks stock and no more whistle.
Whistle-sourse.jpg

What I did to stop that whistle is to remove the screen and unbolt the two part screen base then I put a beed of black rtv and bolted everything back up......looks stock and no more whistle.
Whistle-sourse.jpg
Did the same thing-seemed to help but the annoying whistle was still there..removed the trim on the front of the shield and all noise was gone..I glued a thin piece of foam all the way across the top horizontal edge of the trim to seal the gap-apparently there is a low pressure area in front of the shield which draws air from behind causing the whistle, not unlike blowing across the top of an empty beer bottle..[of which I had quite a few after fixing this pita whistle}!

DO NOT ALTER THE FAIRING TO ELIMINATE THE WHISTLE!!!!!!!!!! This is the vaunted genuine Yamaha Anti Rat Reduction system, or YARR. Safety, for both you and Mother the Earths creatures, is paramount here at Yamaha.

Yammi Safety Team

DO NOT ALTER THE FAIRING TO ELIMINATE THE WHISTLE!!!!!!!!!! This is the vaunted genuine Yamaha Anti Rat Reduction system, or YARR. Safety, for both you and Mother the Earths creatures, is paramount here at Yamaha.
Yammi Safety team
:lol2: :rofl: :lol2: :rofl: :lol2: :rofl:

Radman is back! :clapping:

Yammi Safety team

LMAO

As far as putting something like RTV at the bottom of the bracket and shield to keep it from whisteling, I don't believe I'd do that. I'm sure it very well may either knock the noise down or make it completely disappear, but I'm worried about the safety aspect of doing something like this. I was under the impression Yamaha used the plastic screws that hold the shield to the bracket for several reasons. The most important being if you were to ever hit something hard with the front of the bike, the shield would shear these plastic screws off as your head hit the top of the shield itself. I'm thinking if the shield were glued because of the RTV being used, you may sustain more of an injury to the face or head because it would take a lot more force to break the shield loose from the bracket.

These are my thoughts, if I'm barking up the wrong tree or haven't been reading this someplace I should have.......Oh well. Can someone get me another beer?

"I'm worried about the safety aspect of doing something like this" Come again....I put a thin beed of RTV not on the shield side but between the two metal parts that are the base of the windscreen. There is no RTV on the screen. These parts are bolted together by Yamaha with a 10 mm bolt......"Thin Beed"