Falling apart!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTINSTRUCTOR

Reaction score
My wife and I have new '07s. We have invested some money to make them "fit" us and it is a work in progress.

However, I am amazed at the number of bolts/screws that have come off our bikes. We both have approximately 3,500 miles on the bikes. All our miles are on paved roads in New Mexico and Arizona.

To date, here is what has loosened or fallen off:

1. Her fender almost came off. One rear screw/nut assembly missing, all the rest very loose. Checked mine...they were all loose as well.

2. One of her saddle bag locks came unscrewed and was just sitting in the "pocket" below the lock. No lock-tight appeared on the screws.

3. Today, my lock on the left side saddle bag became unscrewed and the lock fell/bounced out. I was able to re-track our course and fond the lock. The tab and the screws stayed in the "pocket".

The screws on the locks are hex head with a small "dimple" in the middle. I couldn't fix them with regualr hex head tools. Had to go over to a friends and get it done.

OK...nothing improtant came unsrewed, but it makes me a little nervous thinking about those screws/nuts/bolts you can't see. Plus, without the locks, the bags could have opened or, worst, come off.

Anyone else have this problem?

Sure glad I got the extended Y.E.S. Warranty from D&H (haven't received it yet, but they say it is "in the mail")

You should read the new owner's faq's on the forum. These are all items installed by your dealer during setup, and they obviously did NOT follow the procedures required. I would take it back to them with the checklist, or better yet do it all yourself and avoid them like the plague.

Seriously thought, these items are all discussed in the FAQ, and it looks like a little time reading the new owner information we provide would have payed off for you.

You should read the new owner's faq's on the forum. These are all items installed by your dealer during setup, and they obviously did NOT follow the procedures required. I would take it back to them with the checklist, or better yet do it all yourself and avoid them like the plague.
Seriously thought, these items are all discussed in the FAQ, and it looks like a little time reading the new owner information we provide would have payed off for you.
Kinda new to the forum. Really enjoy it, but I guess, due to time constraints, I have not "browsed" that part. Will try to find it now. Thanks for the help and the patience.

I have an 06 with 22k, not had any of those problems at all. Most of the bolts/screws/locks you talk about coming loose or off are all assembled at the factory(I think). Your dealer should have checked them at final assembly.

I try to make it a habit to recheck torques on major components ie.. axle bolts, fork pinch bolts, brake caliper bolts etc..

Hopefuly, once you get them all torqued you can go on to enjoy a really great bike!

Good Luck!

Wholly Smokes! I would be seriously PISSED OFF if I had things falling off my bike after only 3500 miles!!! I would seriously be taking this up with the dealership, and making them pay the replacement cost of my lost parts. For as much as we shell out for these machines, you have to be able to expect better!

These are all items installed by your dealer during setup
Yup, and so were the front tire and front caliper brakes (yikes!), so CHECK THEM IMMEDIATELY, including the pinch bolts.

And on the non-life-threatening column are windscreen and bracket, barend weights, battery cables and top black fairing pieces, and some other items I might be forgetting (did it myself, and have the assembly manual, if you need any additional info). And yes, I'd definitely do it myself, especially the front tire and brakes.

Search for pictures of how the bike arrives in a crate; it requires more assembly than all my previous bikes by far. Take care.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the bolts/screws/locks you talk about coming loose or off are all assembled at the factory(I think). Your dealer should have checked them at final assembly.
Completely wrong. All of the items mention are installed by the DEALER during final assembly. The front tire must be installed, and the fender after it. The locks are not installed in the bags, as they arrive in separate boxes to the dealer. The dealer must install these when the bags and bike are matched as a pair. The tool needed is a security torx bit (#10 i *think*), and can be found at auto supplies stores or sears.

Judging by the work you've seen so far, I would at least get a free replacement bolt for the fender from the dealer. I would double check any work they supposedly did myself, especially the front wheel/brakes.

I'm sure Slapnpops right, hes been around a lot longer than I have. Either way when you get it corrected, you'll enjoy the bike!

Yup, SlapNPop is right. Check the front torque on the axle bolt too mine was loose before I got home! Also dealer prepers also like to scratch your windsheild as some don't take the time to clean it right when they install it. If its scratched when you pick up your new bike, don't take it home until they get you a "new" replacement window. My dealer said I should have brought it up when I picked it up and they didn't replace or fix it. Guess who doesn't get much of my business? Also this is something I believe ToeCutter came up with that I did as well to my bags and think its a super idea....Hinge Pin Locks. Scroll down to TC's post with a pic and start reading from there. Got mine from McMaster Carr in stainless 5/16" its a rounded retainer strap. Link. Search under "Safety Snap Pins". PM. <>< :D

I always thought it was just common to check over all the bolts, nuts, etc, when getting your new bike home as NO ONE TRUSTS DEALERS...Ok, maybe it's just me.

I was lucky to find this forum before I got my bike, and learned about the locks and axle bolts, not to mention the other little problems.

I have had not, as of yet, had anything fall off. (my bike that is)

KM

OK, now you have to mention which dealer so others who have purchased there can be forewarned as well!

Kinda new to the forum. Really enjoy it, but I guess, due to time constraints, I have not "browsed" that part. Will try to find it now. Thanks for the help and the patience.
PTINSTRUCTOR and any new members reading this, Slappy has it right. If you read many posts by "oldies" on this forum you will read many times "newbies" are told to read the FAQ section. There is a plethora of information available here, but ALL NEW MEMBERS are instructed (at least it is strongly suggested) to read the FAQ section. This is not to be cruel, it is the easiest way to warn you exactly what to double check because of past experience that dealers are known to install incorrectly (Front pinch bolts, front caliper mount bolts, front fender bolts and pannier locksets).

To make it easier, here's a link to FAQs.

Seriously, we are not trying to be jerks, it is simply the easiest way for you to get "up to speed" about your new bike. Heck, I still use the FAQ section to find information and I've been here for quite awhile.

Heck, I still use the FAQ section to find information and I've been here for quite awhile.

With a Member number of 151, Christ Mike, Your older than Dirt.... :rolleyes:

( Probably gonna regret this post when we get to Denver, guess who's doing the midnite shift.....)

I have a 07 and when I took the plastic off to add heated grips, gps, and power distribution I was missing a nut on one of the mirrors and on the bolt that holds the gas tank in place near the seat.

First off, I want to thank MAD MIKE for the link.

Some of us have jobs and also are real dummies when it comes to mechanics. I had no interest in the FAQ section as I don't do work on motorcycles myself (may change that way of thinking) Plus I don't undertand a lot of what is said in those areas.

I know it is our responsibility to follow the "rules', but when all you want out of a forum is who can tell you about the "cool" farkles or "is there an easy answer", you miss a lot.

I really want to thank all of you for the information. It is nice to have members "lead" you through a solution to a problem rather than just say "Hey dummy....you ain't doing it right"

I am sure some members are tired of hearing the same questions, but, it appears that a lot of members care about the "newbies". Otherwise they wouldn't say welcome a bazillion times.

So again...thanks to those members who took the time to help, especially Mike for giving me a link.

But, hang on. I may still come up with some "stupid" questions. Why... 'cause there are a lot of patient, helpful people on this forum.

I am sure some members are tired of hearing the same questions, but, it appears that a lot of members care about the "newbies". Otherwise they wouldn't say welcome a bazillion times.
So again...thanks to those members who took the time to help, especially Mike for giving me a link.

But, hang on. I may still come up with some "stupid" questions. Why... 'cause there are a lot of patient, helpful people on this forum.
Yes, there are a lot of helpful members and Mike's one of those at the top of that list.

However, the great success of the forum is because people like Mike comb through the threads and help newbies out. It isn't magic...it's lots of hard work combined with forum longevity and personal experience. So, there's a bit of expectation, duty...or hope that you'd want to become like Mike to help the next newbie out.

If an FAQ isn't understandable....make a suggestion to the author. If you become an expert in some fine point on the FJR...share....ideally with pictures.

I challenge you to help the community that's helping you.

OMG, it must have been a weak moment! Don't let Kurt find out, he'll start another poll. :rolleyes:

With a Member number of 151, Christ Mike, Your older than Dirt....
That's okay, Don, I'm reading this with my notebook and pen next to me so I can take notes. :blink:

We've all asked stupid questions. Hopefully you can be directed to a place where it has been answered. That way you can learn where to look and your own knowledge base will grow, just like ours has. This forum is a great place to learn and grow.

(Don't tell Iggy's friend, Kurt!)

Yes, there are a lot of helpful members and Mike's one of those at the top of that list.

However, the great success of the forum is because people like Mike comb through the threads and help newbies out. It isn't magic...it's lots of hard work combined with forum longevity and personal experience. So, there's a bit of expectation, duty...or hope that you'd want to become like Mike to help the next newbie out.

If an FAQ isn't understandable....make a suggestion to the author. If you become an expert in some fine point on the FJR...share....ideally with pictures.

I challenge you to help the community that's helping you.

Wow, I guess your title says it all!. You are definately an Administrative Idealist! However, you have also been a very patient and helpful one...i.e., gettimg me on the map and answering other questions.

But, seriously, I do love helping people out...in my expertise. That's why, at 64,I am still a Law Enforcement Instructor with the Federal Government. I teach specific things and even stay late to help those who need the help.

However, I do not berate those who are "slow" at grasping a concept. That's why I am so impressed with Mike. I appreciate those who have the time to learn so they may "teach" others who do not have the time nor the inclination to wade through mounds of non-sensical material that is uncomprehendible to them.

I admit that I am not skilled at motorcycle mechanics. I just wish to ride a safe machine and have fun. I really admire those of you that have the incllination and skills to comprehend problems with motorcycles and to not only come up with solutions, but understand what others say in kind. And I really appreciate those who are willing to teach, help and lead others who don't have a clue....like myself.

I will continue to ask questions and will continue to thank those who help. If I find a product I like, I will tell about it. If I discover a problem, I will throw it out for those of you that have the specific knowledge and skills to correct it. But, my helping others on this forum is purely a pipe dream. My abilities are not mechanically inclined. Although I wish they were.

THANKS MIKE!

OK, I am using up too much space. However, I printed out the info on the NEW OWNERS READ THIS. Like Mike said (and Ignacio), this is great reading. Some, I don't fully understand, but a lot is very useful info.

My apologies for not taking the time to go through this. But again, thanks to everyone for your patience and help.

GREAT FORUM!!!!