Fan relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
I have a 2007 fjr and think the fan relay has failed. Where is the fan relay located? It seems as if the wires from the fan go towards and under the fuel tank. I don't want to remove tank if the relay is located elsewhere. Thanks.

The fan relay is located at the front of the battery, near the bottom and next to the fork tube.

You can use diAG to turn on the relay to test it using the actuator code for the fan motor relay. You can also use this code to help troubleshoot the system without having to turn on the engine.

There have been some fan and headlight relay failures, but there has also been wire problems at the connector that the fan motor relay plugs into. Heat gets to the power connector pin at the wire crimp. The wire failure often ohms roughly OK but is unable to pass the necessary current when the fan motor tries to turn on.

The headlight relay and the fan motor relay are the same P/N and can be swapped for a fast test (if you can find a headlight relay).

I disconnected the plug to the fan motor and connected 12 volts to it and the fan runs. I let the engine run up to 8 bars and hooked a volt meter to wires at the fan plug and had .57 volts, less than 1 volt. I believe my fan relay is bad. The 2 wires leading back from where you disconnect the fan plug in are 1 blue with yellow stripe and 1 black. Shouldn't the wires connecting to the relay be the same colors? I don't find any like colors connected to any of the relays in front of the battery. The relay in front of the battery and low towards the fork has 4 wires, 1 green with yellow stripe, 1 brown with black stripe, 1 solid red and 1 red with white stripe. Is this the correct relay? Would you know the part # for the relay? All I can read on that relay is, nais acm33211 md5 along with japan and other #'s I can't read. Thanks to everyone in this great community!!

I disconnected the plug to the fan motor and connected 12 volts to it and the fan runs. I let the engine run up to 8 bars and hooked a volt meter to wires at the fan plug and had .57 volts, less than 1 volt. I believe my fan relay is bad. The 2 wires leading back from where you disconnect the fan plug in are 1 blue with yellow stripe and 1 black. Shouldn't the wires connecting to the relay be the same colors? I don't find any like colors connected to any of the relays in front of the battery. The relay in front of the battery and low towards the fork has 4 wires, 1 green with yellow stripe, 1 brown with black stripe, 1 solid red and 1 red with white stripe. Is this the correct relay? Would you know the part # for the relay? All I can read on that relay is, nais acm33211 md5 along with japan and other #'s I can't read. Thanks to everyone in this great community!!
The Blue wire (1 fan) and the Blue/Yellow wire (2 fan) go to fan fuses where the wire color changes to Brown/Black for both fans. The Brown/Black wire goes to the fan relay and supplies switched +12 volts to the fan fuses then to the fan motors on the B and B/Y wires. The low voltage at the fans with the connector plugged in can be 1) a bad relay 2) a bad Red wire at the relay socket 3) the ECU Green/Yellow wire isn't turning the fan relay on. Test the fan relay using diAG and confirm that the relay clicks.

The relay wire colors you describe are indeed the fan motor relay. The fan motor relay is the same as the headlight relay and can be swapped for troubleshooting purposes. The relay Green/Yellow wire is from the ECU that turns the fan relay on by grounding the wire; the Red/White wire is from the ignition fuse and supplies power to the relay coil all the time the ignition is on; the solid red wire supplies the contact of the relay with power from the Main Fuse; the Brown/Black wire from the relay contact goes to the fan motor fuses and then to the fans.

The fan motor relay will have the manufacturer's number ACM33211 Matsushita on the part, it is Yamaha P/N 5EA-81950-20-00.

This should be enough to get you going. FWIW, I still suspect the red wire before the relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I may have to go out of town this weekend and won't be able to get back to the FJR until the week after. When I get her sorted out I'll post the results. Thanks again!!

The relay wire colors you describe are indeed the fan motor relay. The fan motor relay is the same as the headlight relay and can be swapped for troubleshooting purposes. The relay Green/Yellow wire is from the ECU that turns the fan relay on by grounding the wire; the Red/White wire is from the ignition fuse and supplies power to the relay coil all the time the ignition is on; the solid red wire supplies the contact of the relay with power from the Main Fuse; the Brown/Black wire from the relay contact goes to the fan motor fuses and then to the fans.
To trigger the relay (and test the wire from the relay to the ECU) take a 12-volt test light and connect the alligator clip to ground.

Turn the ignition sw on (you can also start the engine--but it is not necessary)

Find the trigger wire from the relay to the ECU (in the example above it's the Green/Yellow wire) and touch the pointy end of the test light to that wire (back probe the wire at the ECU connector--connector stays plugged into the ECU).

The fan relay should operate and the fan(s) should run.

This should work on all years (just have to identify the correct wire that the ECU uses to trigger the fan relay).

To be electrically safe, do NOT use a jumper wire--use a 12-volt testlight only.

To trigger the relay (and test the wire from the relay to the ECU) go to diAG, go to actuator code 51 and toggle the red run/stop switch OFF then back ON. The relay should be triggered by the ECU and the fans should cycle on and off.

I know that 3dogs has written the book and is an expert, but I will agree to disagree that a test light is not good to use on electronic circuits and forcing ground & 12 volts on digitally controlled signal lines is not a good idea. Getting away with doing it is not the same thing as 'there is no risk'. As 3dogs says, don't use a jumper wire on a connector that is connected, that is worse than the test light.

Awaiting my beating for saying stupid things...

Phew, that was a fast week! Didn't have to go out of town after all. Did the headlight to fan motor relays switch and the headlight burned for about 5 secs and went dark. Continued to let the fjr run and after the 7th bar, but before the 8th bar lit, the fan motors came on. So I replaced the headlight relay and buttoned her up, retested and all seems right with the world again. At least my world! Thank you to ionbeam and 3dogs for the help.