Farewell My First Mesh

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
First Gear.. In shame from being forced to ride bitch on my B-ride, a flat twin airhead, my fairly recently acquired First Gear mesh jacket wriggled free from its Rok strap soon after I achieved ramming speed on the interstate. Leaping to its demise in an obviously pre planned act of drama, it at least departed without causing a fiery crash on my or anyone else's part. When it's hot, I don't wear much. But when it's merely tepid, I've grown find of wearing the sturdy mesh. Warmer than nothing, cooler than any jacket. It was just the thing for all the cool mornings in north Georgia, though it rarely saw service in the hot afternoons. Acquired new off Craigslist at a steal, I don't so much lament the lost $40 as I do the $169 I spent the second I got home (moments ago) on a new one from revzilla. Farewell my holey friend. I miss my saddlebags. Hell, I miss my whole fjr.

Bill you should write a book
clapping.gif

Sorry about your loss though...

That stinks! I actually broke down on Tuesday and ordered my own "first mesh" which I'm expecting to receive tomorrow. I got a Rev'it Airwave 2 and I'm hoping I come to like it on the more sultry days. Note to self: when operating at ramming speed, don't leave first mesh tied to the back of the bike.

I've only worn mesh the whole time I've had my FJR. Florida, see.....

Cortech HRX, crash-tested and approved, the same jacket has been on me three times down now. Some scuffs on the leather sections that are specifically placed on the scuff places, but otherwise good as new. the only place that wasn't leather and got some tearing was a very small hole on the back of my forearm. I bought an 8-ball patch and had it sewn on to cover it. Whatever made the hole didn't reach my skin, spo i think it was just something snagged it on the way down.

I wear another Cortech around town, a GX Air, because it's a bit lighter. On the highway i think the HRX offers better protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Lumberg posted: "When it's hot, I don't wear much."

Can't imagine him commuting in August. Swim trunks? Boxers? Wife beater? Maybe with a necktie and dress shoes?
omg2.gif

First Gear.. In shame from being forced to ride bitch on my B-ride, a flat twin airhead, my fairly recently acquired First Gear mesh jacket wriggled free from its Rok strap soon after I achieved ramming speed on the interstate. Leaping to its demise in an obviously pre planned act of drama, it at least departed without causing a fiery crash on my or anyone else's part. When it's hot, I don't wear much. But when it's merely tepid, I've grown find of wearing the sturdy mesh. Warmer than nothing, cooler than any jacket. It was just the thing for all the cool mornings in north Georgia, though it rarely saw service in the hot afternoons. Acquired new off Craigslist at a steal, I don't so much lament the lost $40 as I do the $169 I spent the second I got home (moments ago) on a new one from revzilla. Farewell my holey friend. I miss my saddlebags. Hell, I miss my whole fjr.
I love guys like you Bill!! The mesh jacket I wear is the one I found on the road. Perfect fit, elbow and back pads included, the shiznit for cool mornings and autumn evenings. Thanks to generous folks like you the rest of have an extra $169 for gas. Thanks dude!!

i know the feeling all too well, i dropped my first gear overpants last week on rt78 in PA , went two exits before deciding to back track to find them .

I did find them on the shoulder already and still in good shape . Lets just say i took my time making sure they weren't flying off again

If yours are the model I have, they're the next best thing in the cold to a spacesuit. I'd have gone back for those too.

Sorry Bill, but that jacket is worth $169! I would have to replace mine if lost as well it's the most comfortable mesh I've found.

So you have protective motorcycle apparel, and instead of wearing it, you strap it (not very securely, apparently) on the bike? OK.

Had a friend who, ten years ago, was riding his Suzuki TL, with a backpack strapped to the rear seat. At highway speed, the backpack came loose on one side, swung down, and got jammed between the wheel and the swingarm. Thankfully, his Aerostitch suit was on his body, not strapped to the bike. I'm sure these things were on his mind as he went flying into the ditch. He was bruised, but otherwise unhurt. Glad you found a nice replacement.

That said, it's your hide, and it's a free country. Do as you please.

I shall. I was fortunate that it did not cause a problem when it came free of what I thought was an excellent lash job. A bike with no fairing or screen is a windy place.

Have you considered a tail pack of some kind? I have used a fairly substantial tank bag as a tail bag on a sportier bike. As the straps were looped around the rear seat (which is removable), it was secure. I carried pretty substantial loads without issue..

36B29D40-0A34-4335-B91D-4C705DC61A5E-16021-00001F929993C0DC.jpg

Excellent idea. I was ill prepared and ill practiced for that bike. Usually, the R75 is a day ride, not a commuter or multi-day bike for me. Subbing it in while the FJR was being worked on led me to make a compromise that was not adequate, in hindsight. I run a terrific First Gear tank bag on the R75, but it was not big enough for a jacket in addition to laptop and my other stuff. I think a tail bag or repurposed tank bag would be perfect. Good idea.

Should have used a bungie cord.

:)

Have you considered a tail pack of some kind? I have used a fairly substantial tank bag as a tail bag on a sportier bike. As the straps were looped around the rear seat (which is removable), it was secure. I carried pretty substantial loads without issue..
[img=[URL="https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/andyspbpix/Bike/36B29D40-0A34-4335-B91D-4C705DC61A5E-16021-00001F929993C0DC.jpg%5D"]https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m511/andyspbpix/Bike/36B29D40-0A34-4335-B91D-4C705DC61A5E-16021-00001F929993C0DC.jpg][/URL]
That's the dumbest idea ever...and exactly what I do with the exact same bag. Lol. I put that big basted on my tank exactly once. Holy cow it's big. However, it makes a bitchen tail bag. On solo trips, I expand the top. I load both side bags and that tank bag and there is a ton of room.

I made a flat bungee cord that locks underneath my seat with the hooks sticking up. I use that for the front D-rings. Then, I use a rock strap to wrap from my luggage rack, though the rear D-rings and around my back rest post. That has kept that bag secure everywhere.

I thought I was the only guy in the country that bought one of those Cycle Gear Special bags. Lol

hehe.. yeah, I didn't mention that it unzips and can expand to twice that height. I've used it that way many times - especially when large quantities of beer were required. Makes swinging a leg over entertaining for bystanders..

My homemade tail bag attaches to homemade straps that -- like HotRodZilla's -- are routed underneath the passenger seat. It's not getting loose unless that seat flies off.