Farkle a '14ES with carbon fiber weave textured vinyl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen_C

Reaction score
I just finished applying a carbon fiber weave textured vinyl on my '14ES. It was a bit of a pain to get the vinyl to follow some of the curves and dips, but I finally got her done. I hoped to make a how to with pics and a template but found that this project was more art than fact. It provides some protection against and grip for my knees when riding harder. I think this looks better than the silver colors used for the under-tank trim and side panels. Agree?

I may also do the two adjustable side vents. I have to order some more vinyl first!

8gel.jpg

8zz9.jpg

cckr.jpg

lbm2.jpg

That is pretty hot looking. You have done an outstanding job.

Now I wonder how the carbon fiber weave would look on a '13.

Outstanding! I really like it on the rear fuel tank piece.

That FJR is looking good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. Does it serve any practical purpose? I ask out of total ignorance.

Looks like it's going to be a long and expensive winter.

Serve a purpose? It provides onlookers a place to drool.

Not much question: you have GOT to do the side panels on the fairing to match. Might as well get started. We're not gonna be happy till we see the finished product. And, because it looks so well done, now that you've started a new fad, those how to pictures are mandatory.

Great job.

Gary

darksider #44

Are you also going to cover the inside portion of the saddlebags? I've seen pics of one that was done and thought it looked awesome. Great job on what's done so far.

I wonder how removable this stuff is? Just thinking about options if you didn't like the effect or if it starts to show significant wear/fading after a couple of years. Had a look on-line and similar materials are available in a variety of colors - gloss black, charcoal, silver, gold, red, white etc. Someone even listed an iridescent color-shifting option - changes apparent color in differing light.

I like that! Looks really nice.

What is so nice about the new 2014 design and red color is that it really appeals to the sportier side of things. This 2014 model looks more like a big, fast, sexy sportbike than any other FJR up to this point.

If you would have gotten the Two Brothers Black Series Carbon Fiber exhaust it would have looked sick!

Interesting. I've been trying to de-black my "battleship metallic" 2013 to the greatest extent possible. Just looks too heavy and somber. But, the black-against-red contrast is stunning!

Well done!

You did a really nice job with the carbon weave. It is a cumbersome task for sure.

But... you're going to have to do the side panels for sure.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

RossKean, this version of vinyl is supposed to be fairly easily removed with a little heat, with little residue. When this red paint becomes available and this vinyl starts to wear or peel (getting the edges to stay down was also difficult), I will have the pieces painted red to match. I'm not sure why Yamaha decided to put so many different colors on this bike...

As for the cans, yes the carbon ones would have matched better but the ones I have were removed from my '08AE before I sold it. Anyone have carbon fiber ones to trade!?

Looks great! you should do the black piece in the main faring to match.

I used two 12"x51" sheets. Placed the sheet on a table and found out the tank panel takes roughly 12"x36" and the side panels take 12"x24" each, so I cut those three sizes out to start. That tank panel was the most difficult to apply since there are several large dips and curved edges to negotiate. It took me about 3 hours to do that alone then about 1.5 each for the side panels. In all about 5 hours and $12.

Search eBay for the carbon fiber weave, item number.

Looks good, but seems way too much work (to me) for something purely cosmetic and temporary.

Would have been a lot faster shooting those parts with rhinoliner. :thumbsup:

Happy Friday the 13th!
tonguesmiley.gif