Farkle inventory for insurance purposes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phroenips

Pronounced "Free-nips"...it's just a
Reaction score
I just went through and documented all of my currently installed farkles (with associated price tag) so that it would be easier to show to my insurance agent if something happened. I need a drink now.

P.S. Pretty much everything was multiplied by two...two FJRs in the garage.

I just went through and documented all of my currently installed farkles (with associated price tag) so that it would be easier to show to my insurance agent if something happened. I need a drink now.

P.S. Pretty much everything was multiplied by two...two FJRs in the garage.
I have spent most of this three day weekend preparing my taxes. I need several drinks! :dribble:

I can't speak for all insurance companies, but at least when I totaled my bike with State Farm, and then when I looked into getting insurance with Allstate, both companies will not reimburse you a single penny for farkles, unless you have an upgraded policy that covers them. I was lucky to be able to get the majority of mine off the totaled bike before i had to turn it over.

When I totaled the LT I had 3000.00 in extra coverage. All I had to do was copy receipts up to 3000.00 for the claim. Just keep your receipts. That 3000.00 was eaten up just by Hyper Pro suspension and the Russel set that was on it. It cost very little to add the 3000.00 coverage. However it will cover your ridding gear including your helmet.

That coverage, and the fact they have to pay sales tax to the claim also was the only thing that got me what I considered a fair settlement. I was more then I could sell the bike for, and buying and farkeling the FJR cash with a bit left over was nice.

It is a well worth rider to put on your policy.

I can't speak for all insurance companies, but at least when I totaled my bike with State Farm, and then when I looked into getting insurance with Allstate, both companies will not reimburse you a single penny for farkles, unless you have an upgraded policy that covers them. I was lucky to be able to get the majority of mine off the totaled bike before i had to turn it over.
I have Progressive and they reimburse for farkles. I think up to $3,000. I know on the 3 different claims I have made with them they were very generous all three times. Receipts desired, but not necessary.

I was amazed at the payout I got on my 226k mile FJR, + farkles, + gear reimbursement.

Yeah, after I had already done the inventory, I called up my [state Farm] agent, and they confirmed that it's not included unless you opt-in for higher coverage which will need to be underwritten, etc. They did recommend I go ahead and keep all my receipts and records and if something does happen, turn it over to the adjuster to see what they can do. I imagine if it's a collision with someone else at fault, they'd probably go after the other party to cover those losses.

Also found out that helmets and protective gear are also NOT covered with State Farm. Very disappointing.

Also found out that helmets and protective gear are also NOT covered with State Farm. Very disappointing.
Not true in my case with State Farm. They covered the replacement of my helmet, and the mirrored shield I had on it. I THINK they did this because my crash was in a state that had a helmet law. If I had crash in my home state of IL, where they are to stupid to have a helmet law, they may not have covered it.

It doesn't take that long to exceed the limit on most policies, but they usually let you strip off what you can, especially if it's beyond the policy limit. Mine was only $1K and it was gone in a flash. Unfortunately, I wrecked in Montana so it was too hard to get much off and shipped home. I should look into scheduling some farkles separately or increasing coverage, 'cuz that thousand won't go far if something should happen now. Might make that call today. (Like Scooter, even though the farkles part was short, the overall payment from Progressive was generous. No complaints.)

I pulled some parts--seat and windscreen--from another wrecked Gen I bike last summer after the adjuster had looked at it, and he was fine with revising his reimbursement offer, which worked out well for both me and the owner.

Dairyland covers something like $3k in accessories without an additional rider. It's best to keep all receipts as well as give your rep a copy of the mod list prior to needing to make a claim.

my policy specifically covers farkles (Allstate)

I think it cost me $25 to add an additional $3000 to my progressive policy (comes with $3000). And $40 to add 5000 to my vstrom policy. It covers gear helmets and aftermarket pieces that bolt to the bike. You have to actually read your policy and ask your agent. My farkles and gear/ wifes gear are worth more than the bike pretty easily.

I have geico . Never gave me a problem on 3 claims .My 10 year old arai helmet which had 2 scratches and my jacket had a small scrape mark on the elbow .They paid me for both 245 for the jacket and 540 for the helmet whatever i throw at them was allways o.k ed. Remember if you ever need to make a claim the tuperware 90 % of the time is going to be damaged never try to get the scratches out until the adjuster looks at the bike even the smallest scratch = new part .

having gone through claiming my 07, RIP, last year and having a really good friend for my agent I can tell you for certain that it might not be a bad idea to have a list. Most companies, even State Farm, will cover some farkels upto a point. SF covers upto 1.5k unless you get more coverage. This does NOT include helmet. They cover Helmet anyway.

However, What sometimes happens is depending how much you have on the bike and what your bike cost at the moment and what they are planning on giving you. You might be better off stripping your bike and just take it what they give you.

Such was my case. They offered me X amount period. I asked if it included farkles and was told no. If I want to include them they would call dealers and see what my bike could possibly sell for in reality if it was not totaled. At that point, hell I did completed 1st grade and can count to 12, I said hell no, write me a check NOW.

I took as much as I could off the bike. gave them my title and took their check.

I am not aware of any insurance comp that doe NOT cover the helmet. Some, cover ALL of your gear.

So, it might be good to have, but might not need it.

That is not correct. I had/have both of them and they will cover it, upto a point. Dude, you should have taken my offer to set you up with my agent. You saw how HOT she is. :)