Farkle me this highway peg (addition for Skyway)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
highwaypeg_edited.jpg

Take Skyways slider (since the deminsions are known and it is made from solid alum to clamp better and not crush) fabricate a clamp to go over the slider, (makes it removable) with two or more set screws to hold the clamp in position. I would suggest a clamp 1 3/4' to 2 1/4' wide. Have a small piece of 3/8 or so round stock extend from the clamp to the outside of the slider. Hinge it to another piece of molded alum with a contour spot for the back of your leg/ ankle depending on how tall the rider is. Folds out of the way when not in use, you should never have to worry about it draggin, and offers a really stretched out and DIFFerent position for your leg/knee/foot over the currently offered highway pegs for the FJR.

If I were only a machinist.....

I know, I'm not even an artist, but you get the idea.

What happens when you do crash/tip over? Does this thing just break away and impale you?

What happens when you do crash/tip over? Does this thing just break away and impale you?
Why would it do that? Its not even close to your body (any more than the original slider). In fact it may give you BETTER protection in a tip over as it would extend the slider farther out from the bike (an inch or so with the hinge, then bend up towards the handlebars providing more surface area to distribute impact.

I've tried wrapping my leg around the fairing to rest it there but it (the slider) doesn't stick out far enough

I build fences - wood, chain-link, aluminum, etc. And I have the idea from the clamps I use on chain-link fence. It provides a pressure fit to keep from moving on the post. I could mock my idea from fittings and weld an extension to it, but it would not be as PRETTY as something machined from aluminium. I propose somthink fairly sturdy. I believe in overkill. That way you don't have to "fix" it again later.

Think of how a gun's scope mounts in its mount.

Why not do it this way (dirt optional, this is an LDR bike) YMMV

And yes those are genuine HD pegs (shudder)

PDR_0314.jpg

PDR_0313.jpg

second try----

Last edited by a moderator:

second try----
Wow, I have some H-D pegs just like those. How did you attach them to the bolt that holds the slider? :unsure: I'd love to do that on my '06.

+1 for adding something like this as an option for the skyway sliders. It'd come in handy for trips and such.

How about it Ian?

PDR_0314.jpg

PDR_0313.jpg

second try----
Man, that bike looks like it just finished a 48+!

Hi ya Rick. B)

Last edited:
[

Man, that bike looks like it just finished a 48+!

Hi ya Rick. B)

Checking out the FJR`s, EH Mike. Don`t stay around to long----or you`ll have one sone >BSEG< :clapping:

I can't find the right smiley to convey my utter shock and disbelief at this horrible, horrible drawing. Nice idea. Artwork needs a little work.

Checking out the FJR`s, EH Mike. Don`t stay around to long----or you`ll have one sone >BSEG< :clapping:
Too late Rick. I have been sucked in already. I put a deposit on an '06 a week or so ago. D&H says I'll be hitchhiking up to Cullman at the end of the month. :yahoo:

Let the farkling begin.

Oh, and btw, dont tell the LT. I havent broken the news to her yet, although she has been wondering why I was cleaning out/making room in the garage.

You hear anything yet about the big dance?

Regards,

Mike

Cool drawing BTW, but you will need more detail for a patent submission. :D

Anyone have a set of foot pegs in mind and could send me a set for a look-see?

The kind that have a hinge and possibly an extension already attached might make it easier, maybe?

I'm not to savvy about the different types of foot pegs out there, so post up some pictures of what type you have in mind.

For now I'll agree to investigate this to the point of a design and then I'll let you guys decide what you want.

I'll start with a few for ya ian.

kuryakyn
7996-metric.jpg

https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/spc-...set-mounts.aspx

There's another one, with an offset

Here's a bunch of different kuryakyn mounts.

https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/spc-...g-clevises.aspx

Once I get my sliders on I might actually be able to talk intelligently on this...ok maybe not.

g

Too late Rick. I have been sucked in already. I put a deposit on an '06 a week or so ago. D&H says I'll be hitchhiking up to Cullman at the end of the month. :yahoo:

Let the farkling begin.

Oh, and btw, dont tell the LT. I havent broken the news to her yet, although she has been wondering why I was cleaning out/making room in the garage.

Regards,

Mike

1064.jpg

This is the type of bracket I was thinking about. The only thing necesarry for this type to mount to my sliders, would be 2 new pieces to fit the O/D of my slider.

We would have to find a donor bike first, as I have one of them '04 vintage models. :D

1064.jpg

This is the type of bracket I was thinking about. The only thing necesarry for this type to mount to my sliders, would be 2 new pieces to fit the O/D of my slider.

We would have to find a donor bike first, as I have one of them '04 vintage models. :D
Need you ask?

that's the one in the first link...keep us posted!

Thanks

g

I'll start with a few for ya ian.
kuryakyn
7996-metric.jpg

https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/spc-...set-mounts.aspx

There's another one, with an offset

Here's a bunch of different kuryakyn mounts.

https://www.xtremerevolution.com/store/spc-...g-clevises.aspx

Once I get my sliders on I might actually be able to talk intelligently on this...ok maybe not.

g

Let the farkling begin.

Regards,

Mike

PDR_0314.jpg

PDR_0313.jpg

second try----
That is another idea I had but could not figure out how to mount. Tap the inside of Skyways slider? It looks like its mounted on MOKOs, which are not as deep as Skyways.

1064.jpg

+1 to that idea. The local shop (and catalog) only has clamps to go to 1 1/2 inches. Your mounts are 1 7/8s. Skyway, I get a discount for the idea/ extra business right?