Fault 22

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAFJRider

Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted, and this is the first issue I've had with my bike since I got it. I have a 2008 FJR ABS California version that had me scratching my head the other day. Rode to Hanford,about 25 minutes away, stopped for about 45 minutes to take care of some business. Went out to start the bike to come home and it wouldn't start unless I whacked the throttle a couple of times while cranking it over. It finally started but obviously didn't run well-kinda weird, when I revved it up a bit and let the throttle go, it didn't drop right back to idle, almost like it was stuck open-same when I was shifting, pull the clutch to shift and the revs stayed high momentarily. The other weird thing I noticed is the turn signals were flashing twice as fast as normal. Of course, by the time I got home, it had cleared itself and was running smooth as glass like always. Ran through the diagnostic screens when I got home and everything checked out except for showing a fault code 22 in the history, intake air temp sensor open or short detected. Cleared the history to see if the same thing would trip again the next time I rode it, and of course, it purred like a kitten for two more rides. This last time, all was well until about two blocks from home when it felt like it was surging or hesitating during deceleration-it just didn't feel right. This time, however, I noticed that the ABS light was flickering and when I tried to pull away from the stoplight it died, but restarted again without problem. Got home and reran the diagnostics, but everything was as it should be, and no fault codes in the history.

Has anybody experienced similar issues? Did a Google search and didn't find anything that was close to this. Help! I got riding to do!!!

Time to read up on the Ground Spiders then go take a look at your spiders. Seriously, it sounds like you have a grounding issue and the Gen II FJRs have had a significant number of wiring harness melt-downs.

Mr. Beam appears to have hit the nail on the head. That kind of strange, intermittent behavior was exactly what I experienced both times I had spider bite. It eventually leads to total and complete failure, with the concomitant release of the magic blue smoke and the inception of the "this bitch ain't going anywhere" scenario.

magic blue smoke and the inception of the "this bitch ain't going anywhere" scenario.
Never a good thing to get the smoke . . . looks like it might be harness time for you.
Hopefully Dan is at his dealer right now picking up his FJR after having the harness replaced. This is actually the second time his FJR has rejected the main harness. The first time they did repair surgery, this time the dealer did a transplant.

Thanks for the input. So am I looking for loose/crappy connections, or is it the harness itself that's junk?
There are 8 points in the main harness where groups of ground wires are put into a common connector. You need to search find and read about these connectors, it is well documented in this Forum. These connectors overheat and burn. This picture from dcarver shows one of his failed connectors:

Burnt-1.jpg

Thanks for the input. So am I looking for loose/crappy connections, or is it the harness itself that's junk?

It's a stupid design. They use these cheesy little bridging connectors to bring together the grounds from five separate items and connect them to a single ground wire into the main harness. Unfortunately, they used the same gauge wire for the five circuits and the single main ground (main for that particular set). The harness they just installed in my bike is exactly the same as the one that failed twice before. (Someplace in here there should be a reference to the definition of insanity.) I asked the Service Manager why the factory didn't do, what appears to be, a simple fix and increase the gauge of the main ground. He just shook his head.

I'm guessing the Transmit Keys on the design engineers are taped down in "send only" mode.

Edit: Alan clearly types and posts pictures faster and better than me.

Last edited by a moderator: