Feedback requested on buying a used 2004 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JET

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been looking at several bikes in the area with the hopes of picking one up for the summer. I currently have a VT1100 C2 that runs fine, but I think I would like something different. Been riding off/on for 30 years.

FJR models:

So, one 2004 non-abs model (53k miles) had a broken golve box, some suspension mods, heated grips that don't work, decent tires, and a power commander w/ no info or cables. Overall condition dirty but would clean up nicely. Ran nicely, but I didn't get it on the highway. Would $5.5k be a reasonable price for this?

One 2004 abs model (29k miles) had a butt load of mods, and was basing his price off said mods. HID lamp, but the hi-beam was inop, vdc meter inop, needs tires, I saw a spot of oil on the floor, idle was high at 1.4k, it wasn't really purring like I thought it should. Price firm at $6.5k, I was turned off by the stuff that didn't work and the oil...

2005, 13k miles, $7k. Decent tires, laid down so it had scratches, cosmetically needs some touchup, but I didn't like the way the engine sounded. I can't describe it, but I've driven 4 fjrs lately, and this one sounded different. The 2004 non-abs was the only one that sounded smooth.

I also test drove a 2007 Bandit 1250S w/abs, 3k miles, they want $6k at the dealer. It needs tires, previous owner drove it on 8/12psi frnt and rear! Other than that it was smooth. Cosmetically it needs some tlc. I guess they bought the bike and never drove it, but the dealer says "everything is fine"... kinda leery just from the air pressure story.

So, out of those bikes the only one I'm really considering is the 53k mile non-abs '04 model. But I'm not sure if the price is too high. Overall, my experience has been that I'm not going to pay for someones mods, especially if they don't work! And I know everyone likes their FJR but all the bikes I looked at had the same story, nobody rode them, and next year they'll be worth even less... but they still won't negotiate on price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I've been looking at several bikes in the area with the hopes of picking one up for the summer. I currently have a VT1100 C2 that runs fine, but I think I would like something different. Been riding off/on for 30 years.

FJR models:

So, one 2004 non-abs model (53k miles) had a broken golve box, some suspension mods, heated grips that don't work, decent tires, and a power commander w/ no info or cables. Overall condition dirty but would clean up nicely. Ran nicely, but I didn't get it on the highway. Would $5.5k be a reasonable price for this?

One 2004 abs model (29k miles) had a butt load of mods, and was basing his price off said mods. HID lamp, but the hi-beam was inop, vdc meter inop, needs tires, I saw a spot of oil on the floor, idle was high at 1.4k, it wasn't really purring like I thought it should. Price firm at $6.5k, I was turned off by the stuff that didn't work and the oil...

2005, 13k miles, $7k. Decent tires, laid down so it had scratches, cosmetically needs some touchup, but I didn't like the way the engine sounded. I can't describe it, but I've driven 4 fjrs lately, and this one sounded different. The 2004 non-abs was the only one that sounded smooth.

I also test drove a 2007 Bandit 1250S w/abs, 3k miles, they want $6k at the dealer. It needs tires, previous owner drove it on 8/12psi frnt and rear! Other than that it was smooth. Cosmetically it needs some tlc. I guess they bought the bike and never drove it, but the dealer says "everything is fine"... kinda leery just from the air pressure story.

So, out of those bikes the only one I'm really considering is the 53k mile non-abs '04 model. But I'm not sure if the price is too high. Overall, my experience has been that I'm not going to pay for someones mods, especially if they don't work! And I know everyone likes their FJR but all the bikes I looked at had the same story, nobody rode them, and next year they'll be worth even less... but they still won't negotiate on price.

Seems a little high to me for the year and mileage. Look on NADA.com and Kellybluebook.com values. There is a guideline for mileage. Mods are worth nothing. Keep looking. The FJR is superior to the bandit especially if you are looking to ride any distance.

What do you guys think would be a more reasonable price for the 53K 2004 non-abs model?

2004, heated grips weren't standard or an option, so it's aftermarket. Should be easily replaced (I have under-grip heaters and like them better).

List price on a new PC III USB for this bike is $360. but it sells for $290, new.

The only other thing wrong was a broken glove box...don't know what they cost to replace.

Sounds like of your choices this is the bike to go for. Don't know about the price. But if you could get it for 5K you could fix the other other stuff for $500.

I have the 2004 ABS and I have no plans to give it up in this lifetime.

I own an '04 non abs

I highly recommend ABS

Any and every future bike of mine will definitely have ABS

It can readily, seriously, safe your life

I'd prob be deceased if I hadn't raced dirt bikes for many years

and retained those reflexes and skills

just sayin' my 1.5 cents

What do you guys think would be a more reasonable price for the 53K 2004 non-abs model?
do your homework on any bike...farkles add little to the selling price of a bike, but it does make it more attractive to a buyer

go run NADA.com, KellyBlueBook.com, and Edmunds.com

look at wholesale and retail prices...I start at halfway between the two, especially the NADA price which is what dealer sellers use

do not be in a rush...it's big time a buyers market

hope this helps

I don't know. I would worry about a bike that is 'dirty', has a broken glovebox, and heated grips that don't work. Sounds like the owner didn't take very good care of it. What maintenance did he not do?

Regardless, that bike is worth about $4500 if that imho. I'd wait for a better example.

Here are some others you can compare:

04 ABS, 11k miles, $5900 in TX: Clicky.

05 non-abs, 29k miles, %6700 in GA, LOTS of great farkles (suspension): Clicky.

Don't be in a hurry. Wait for the right deal to come along. Two months ago I picked up an 04 ABS with 4300 miles and almost no farkles for $5800.

There are many guys on this forum from which I would buy an 04 with 53k miles. Price for an 04 oughtta be in the 4.5-6 k range... but that all depends on the condition and how much you can trust the owner. However, I could never buy an FJR without the ABS. It's just not worth it to me. My 05 ABS was purchased locally for 6500 nearly a year ago with under 4k miles, and extra windshield and a corbin. Since you asked, ABS was roughly 1k extra when the bike was new, and worth every dime to me.

Can you grab a 200 dollar flight and then drive the bike home, say no more than 600 miles? You could do it in one day. The time spent would expand your range and make it easier for you to find a great deal on the forum. If you could buy from one of the forum members, there's an extra level of trust for you.

You're in North Carolina. Anybody know of a good Feej nearby? Let's see if we can help this guy out.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
You are buying the owner as much as the bike, if not more so. Buy a bike that the owner cares enough to clean it and fix things when they break. I would pass on the dirty FJR.

Take your time and don't get into a hurry. There are plenty of great FJRs out there that haven't been beat, have broken / non-working parts, or all scratched up from a drop. Frankly, the three you're looking at all sound pretty rough.

If you're going to make an offer on any one, start at trade in value and deduct for any repairs that are needed.

Good luck, keep up the search!

--G

There are many guys on this forum from which I would buy an 04 with 53k miles. Price for an 04 oughtta be in the 4.5-6 k range... but that all depends on the condition and how much you can trust the owner. However, I could never buy an FJR without the ABS. It's just not worth it to me. My 05 ABS was purchased locally for 6500 nearly a year ago with under 4k miles, and extra windshield and a corbin. Since you asked, ABS was roughly 1k extra when the bike was new, and worth every dime to me.

Can you grab a 200 dollar flight and then drive the bike home, say no more than 600 miles? You could do it in one day. The time spent would expand your range and make it easier for you to find a great deal on the forum. If you could buy from one of the forum members, there's an extra level of trust for you.

You're in North Carolina. Anybody know of a good Feej nearby? Let's see if we can help this guy out.

Gary

darksider #44
Thanks Gary!

I would not have any problem flying out to pick up a bike and driving it back to NC. I travel for work, so I am all over the US and I don't have to fly back home so flying out is not a problem at all. I wold just have to ship some of the tools that I lug around, but that's easy.

Every bike I looked at was dirty! Not just dirty, but like they just came off a 3 day ride dirty. Bugs, grease, pollen, etc. I use my vehicles, but they are clean in between rides. I worked on Harriers in the Marines, so I tend to treat my vehicles like a plane as far as maintenance. I hate getting stuck somewhere, and with a bike safety is related to maintenace even more!

Why I am skeptical about the 04 with 53k. It was owned since Feb, bank repo, guy picked it up from the bank, probably for a song. Knew very little about it but put about 1k on it in the 3 months he owned it. If it had abs I mighta bit, but it wasn't. Plus the htd grips don't work, and the glove box was broken/rigged, and some of the engine covers were discolored. The others just didn't sound smooth, even though everyone said they sounded fine to them. Mods, well I mod stuff too, but I know my level of mecahnical aptitude and I didn't see any tools in any of the garages where these bikes lived.

Today is my b-day, I was planning on buying myself a present, but I guess I'll have to wait...lol

your going to find a better one here in the flea market, especially if you can travel 500-1000 miles and ride it home. Everyone you named sounds like crap (fixing heated grips is easy, the broken glove box might just not be worth it...). There have been 3-4 bikes a month available within your range in the flea market, and I'm sure there will be more. It'll be worth the wait.

What about the one I linked to above that is in TX? Offer $5500 and that would be a good FJR to have assuming it's in as good a shape as the owner claims.

What about the one I linked to above that is in TX? Offer $5500 and that would be a good FJR to have assuming it's in as good a shape as the owner claims.

Sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure if I want to go out to TX only to find that it wasn't as great as it sounded. Plus, 1200 miles on a bike that I haven't ridden before is kinda far...lol. I'd prefer to stay a little more local in case I have a problem with the bike.

You took the time to ask the forum, now do yourself a favor. Step back, take a deep breath, and take your time with this next decision. We all know what it's like to get FJR fever. LIke you said, it woulda been nice to get it on your birthday. However, this is one time that you want to exercise a little patience. We promise you, it will be worth it. It is very reasonable to assume that within 2 weeks, we'll have something for you, and probably sooner.

If you've not already done so, put an "add" in the wanted section of the forum, and keep your eye on the classified, every day. Remember good deals don't last long on the forum. I've seen em sell in less than a matter of hours. Read everything you can in the forum about the differences between the Gen 1 and the Gen 2 FJR so you'll be ready to make an educated decision on year and price. Be consistent with checking the forum classified and this thread that you started. Your dream come true will happen soon enough, the forum won't let you down.

Gary

darksider #44