Fenda-Extenda Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
Has anyone had their Fenda Extenda fall off? Mine fell off about 2 months ago and I'm just now getting around to replacing it. I used the fastner-free method that is posted on FJR Tech but now I'm wondering if maybe I should use the screws. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, I don't think I hit anything on the road that may have been thrown up and broke the Fenda Extenda loose. I am extremely careful about avoiding road debris after a bad experience a few years ago.

Mine didn't but another rider's did. We were able to salvage it from the highway. He did not remove the double-sided tape before he glued it on. Also make sure you prep the glue surface before reapplying...

Mine's been on over 50,000 miles in all kinds of conditions with no problems. I removed the double-sided tape and prepped both the extender and the fender by sanding both surfaces. I did not use the ABS cement, but rather a two part epoxy. But I would think the ABS cement would work well if done properly.

I used two small stainless screws to hold mine, plus the tape. I epoxied the edge that's inside the fender so no junk would get in there. I also added more tape to fill in the whole area that meets the fender.

I don't trust the ABS cement only. I made sure it would stay there.

I've since found a product called Duramix 4040 that I'd now trust to hold it without screws, but too late now. It's been on for almost three years already.

Duramix 4040 is a specialized bumper repair compound that is extremely strong and unaffected by weather. It's used in the autobody business, and in the custom car audio shops too. It requires a special (read expensive) gun to apply it.

Thanks Guys,,,,

I got one for Christmas but haven't installed it yet,, but I was wondering how well the glue worked,,,,, (I don't want to use the screws..

60K miles is good enuff for me!!!

Hopefully I'll get it on this week..

Put on the Superbrace today... WOW!!! Very Cool!!!

Ben

I did mine per the glue tech article, except when it was time to let the glue set I laid the assembly upside down on a folded towel, had someone push down the back of the bike while on the centerstand, slid the towel/fender/extenda unit under the front wheel, then lowered the bike onto it for about an hour. I didn't feel like holding it. So far, so good.

I lost the first one I installed. Operator error. The second one I installed has over 20K on it. No problems. No screws.

It works so well I'm considering removing my radiator guard.

My first one came off when I was exiting the freeway near New Braufels, Texas... it was only 30 minutes later when we stopped for lunch that I realized what that clack, clack, pop sound had been...

I used the glue on method, but didn't put enough on, or prep the surfaces nearly enough. I corrected those two mistakes with install number 2, and haven't had any problems since.

My first one came off when I was exiting the freeway near New Braufels, Texas... it was only 30 minutes later when we stopped for lunch that I realized what that clack, clack, pop sound had been...
I used the glue on method, but didn't put enough on, or prep the surfaces nearly enough. I corrected those two mistakes with install number 2, and haven't had any problems since.
Absolutely.

It can be done without screws, but surface prep is extremely critical. Just make sure you take your time when getting it ready to glue and you should be fine.

Screws on mine was a personal choice of course.

Like I said, if only I had this Duramix stuff when I first did it, I'd have not put the screws in.

When I got the '04 home after the "cliff-diving" incident, I notice the fenda extenda was missing. No problems on the '05.

1) remove the double sided tape

2) prep the fender and the "extenda"

3) I did mine on a cold day, so after the extnda felt secure, I rested the assembly over a heater vent to cure.

I used the dark gray ABS cement and after sanding the mating surfaces with some fine sand paper I applied a thin coat to both surfaces and clamped it and left over night. :cownoy:

I decided not to do the glue method. My VX800 came stock with one and they used a matching set of cap nuts. It looks right with the bike. So, I went to the hardware store (orange box) and got some stainless steel bolts with Allen heads that match the stock Yamaha fairing fasteners. They look good (like they came from the factory) and I know it is not coming off.

Mine's still on (thanks to this thread I was worried and went out and checked).

I took off the doube-sided tape, sanded both sides, and used two-part five minute and clamps to hold it in place. The clamp's used to interfere with the fairing but I used a course file to remove enough plastic to clear the clamps. No worries now! :tease:

Pappy

Last edited by a moderator:
When some of you people talk about 'taking off the double sided tape', do you mean revoving the tape entirely, or just removing the paper backing so that it's now in sticky mode?

Even though I didn't remove the double-sticky tape entirely (you can see it's still there in the FJRTech article, in the photo where I am applying the cement), I did remove the paper backing.

Were I doing this job today, I'd probably remove the tape altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I replaced the Fenda Extenda; there was no sign of any trauma, it looks like it just fell off. Notably only about half of the area of the fender where the Fenda Extenda covered still had any adhesive residue. Presumably I didn't prep it correctly, or use the proper adhesive, or enough adhesive, etc. etc. For reference I did completely remove the two pieces of double-sided tape that the Fenda Extenda came with. I also cleaned the fender with MEK and gave both the fender and Fenda Extenda a light sanding. I used Oatey ABS Cement for the adhesive.

Installing the new Fenda Extenda I wimped out and used the supplied double-sided tape and the four screws. As Warchild might say, it does look like moist ass-cheese however I prefer the moist ass-cheese look to a rock through the radiator (or another $37 replacement).