final drive oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC09333.jpg

Anybody using this stuff, specificly formulated for the FJR. I was suprised when my local dealer did not know it existed.
dealer in Corpus Christi didnt know it existed either argued with me and said I didnt what I was talking about I had to get him to call Yamaha to prove a point

Yamaha specify that the FJR final drive oil MUST be fully synthetic. There are alternatives to the Yamaha product out there, usually under the "racing" banner. Just as long as they are fully synthetic. Standard 80/90 gear oils are not! This comes about because the final drive on the FJR is pretty much the same as other lower powered models like my old XJ900S (are they called Secas in USA?) which will run on standard 80/90 and only need changing every 16,000. The FJR needs a little help to cope hence the synthetic oil and the 6,000 mile change.

Thus, companies like Amsoil will not sacrifice performance over price and will fortify their PAO packages with proper additives to neuatralize the seal shinkage issue. The same additve used for neutalizing the seal shrinkage makes the buna-N softer and more pliable; thus better sealing. Amsoil published a really good technical paper on "gear oils" recently. One can check it out by going to their site. It compares about 8-10 different brands of mineral and synthetic GL5 rated gear oils. B)
Please tell me you don't sell the stuff. Please.

Yamaha specify that the FJR final drive oil MUST be fully synthetic. There are alternatives to the Yamaha product out there, usually under the "racing" banner. Just as long as they are fully synthetic. Standard 80/90 gear oils are not! This comes about because the final drive on the FJR is pretty much the same as other lower powered models like my old XJ900S (are they called Secas in USA?) which will run on standard 80/90 and only need changing every 16,000. The FJR needs a little help to cope hence the synthetic oil and the 6,000 mile change.
They told me at D & H to not put synthetic anything in the oil or rear drive. I read the manual but didn't get the impression the manual made a big point of "nothing but synthetic" in rear drive. I'll go read it again right now to make sure. I will switch anyway to Mobil 1 75/90 in the near future.

JDP

This comes about because the final drive on the FJR is pretty much the same as other lower powered models like my old XJ900S (are they called Secas in USA?) which will run on standard 80/90 and only need changing every 16,000. The FJR needs a little help to cope hence the synthetic oil and the 6,000 mile change.
Huh?!?!?!

Yamaha specs the final drive oil change interval at 16,000 miles. And nowhere that I have seen do they require synthetic.

Yamaha specs the final drive oil change interval at 16,000 miles. And nowhere that I have seen do they require synthetic.
You don't see it anywhere because they do not require synthetic.....

Jeeze...... this is why the NEPRT forum exists...... <_<

Dave:

If you read the spec sheet on the Yamaha FJR 1300 specific Final drive oil you will see that the oil is not synthetic, but the additive pack in it is. It is my understanding that the only difference between the FJR oil and Yamaha's regular final drive oil is the synthetic low foam additive pack that reduces foaming during extended high speed runs.

It has been my experiance that any of the manufacturers oil products are never top of the food chain stuff.

I once toured a lubricant packaging facility, and I can tell you that you would be amazed how many different bottles were filled by the same blend tank of oil.

Yamalube Friction Modified shaft drive gear oil 80w-90. $5.00 a quart. IMO great stuff. My 06 is much quiter and at last oil change the oil was much cleaner then in the past useing that high priced whale jizz that the dealer sold me when I bought the bike. Not sure if it's right or wrong, but until some one can show me that it's a bad thing,I will continue to use it. One thing is for sure, I will be damned if I will pay $18.00 a pint for gear lube.

DSC09333.jpg

Anybody using this stuff, specificly formulated for the FJR. I was suprised when my local dealer did not know it existed.
dealer in Corpus Christi didnt know it existed either argued with me and said I didnt what I was talking about I had to get him to call Yamaha to prove a point

oem part # 9079e-sh001-00..

FJR goodies has it at a pretty good price. The only dealer in my area that did finaly find it, said they can order it for $40.00

here is a link to FJR goodies if you have not been there yet....

https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: