Final Drive Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got ya, makes sense. Question is since I have a quart of the m1 75/90 if it was OK to use.

If I had none, I would get the oe, just because I guess, lol. Would not be asking or thinking about it.

Thanks again

The M1 is just fine. Be prepared for the oil drained in the first change to look pretty bad. I think the original oil is different. Also be prepared to see some swarf on the magnetic drain plug. Also normal. I'm on about change #12 with non-Yamaha rear drive fluid. Every 10 to 15 thousand miles whether it needs it or not. After the first couple of changes, it comes out looking pretty much the same as it did going in.

The M1 is just fine. Be prepared for the oil drained in the first change to look pretty bad. I think the original oil is different. Also be prepared to see some swarf on the magnetic drain plug. Also normal. I'm on about change #12 with non-Yamaha rear drive fluid. Every 10 to 15 thousand miles whether it needs it or not. After the first couple of changes, it comes out looking pretty much the same as it did going in.
Looks bad as in dark? I think that first change is flushing the moly assembly paste used when they put the rear end together.

Looks bad as in dark? I think that first change is flushing the moly assembly paste used when they put the rear end together.
I think you may be correct. May be assembly lube or a very different formula used for break in. Either way, its nothing to worry about. It will be ugly and probably smell bad.

Some guys recommend 75-90, some say 80-90. Any real world difference between these these two in the drive of the FJR?