Final drive seal failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall that there is a special tool of some type required to replace the coupler. Just checked and the FSM says you need the "Coupling gear/middle shaft tool 90890-01229". Someone on the forum had one and would send it out on loan, but I do not recall who that generous member was.

Not sure if you would really need to replace the Coupling Gear, or could just do the seal. The trick would probably be getting the old seal out with the Coupling Gear in place.
Fred, Bill found out that his coupler had a groove worn in it where the seal seats against it. I'm anticipating mine to be the same.
Yeah, I remember that. But I'm not sure how significant that groove was to the leaking. I would bet slapping a new seal on there it would seal into the same smooth groove. The trick would be physically swapping the seal without removing the coupler. You'd need to use some sort of a hook to grab the old seal and yank it out.

I wouldn't doubt the heat and pressure built up by high speeds is a contributing factor. But not all will splooge from high speeds. Someone once offered the idea that the vent on top of the final drive gets plugged or blocked and when heat and pressure builds up inside it causes some oil to weep past the seals. I think that is as good a root cause as any.
Anybody knows how to remove that vent cap? Is it just friction fit? Pull it straight out with a locking plier?

Removal not mentioned in the FSM. The diagram just looks like it is pressed in with no retainers of any kind shown.

Maybe someone with a failed Final Drive could try yanking it out?

Oh wait, we only know of one (semi) failed FJR final drive. Mr. Pants to the courtesy phone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody knows how to remove that vent cap? Is it just friction fit? Pull it straight out with a locking plier?
I believe the decorative silver cap is spot welded to the actual vent stub underneath. Even if you pop off the silver piece you would be no further ahead.

Well the shoe fits, so I'll wear it.
Will report back in the morn....

Tally Ho!!!
Thank you sir! Please take some pics too. I can't tell how it's vented as the cap looked sealed all around...
smile.png

I stopped short of destroying the vent fitting trying to pry it out. It's definitely not threaded in there - must be a press fit.

I stopped short of destroying the vent fitting trying to pry it out. It's definitely not threaded in there - must be a press fit.
Thanks!

Did you see any vent holes on that vent fitting? I couldn't tell by looking at mine while it's on the bike.

I wonder if you could grab it with a pair of plier and gently rotate it back and forth to get it out?

Just wondering. You don't have to try :)