Finally found my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big guy, too.....270 pounds. When I put all my weight on the centerstand foot-thingie (have no idea what you call it) my bike literally jumps off the ground, up on the stand. I don't lift with either hand at all. Let all my magnificent poundage do all the work. :D
Of course, yours IS a Gen II, so it's carrying around an extra metric assload of weight....could be the difference! :blum:
Ah ha....so the FJR has a carry handle....that worked. Thanks!

Yeah she ain't no slender gal...that's for sure. Kinda big boned....but fun to roll with in the hay. :lol:

Welcome from just up the road in Roseville.
Hey Roseville, I'll keep an eye out fer ya. I sometimes make it up your way now and then. On another note, I happened to follow another fellow FJR rider into PCP Motorsports on Friday on my way home. Met up and spoke to MadMike2. Mike, it was a pleasure to meet you and chew the fat for a few minutes. Hope to see you on the road! You certainly have an impressive setup!

Happy Trails

I sometimes make it up your way now and then.
Happy Trails

Good GAWD, I'd hope so. You have to pass Roseville to get to all those tasty mountain roads -- not to mention Roseville Yamaha, where the service manager rides an FJR and takes good care of us.

I sometimes make it up your way now and then.
Happy Trails

Good GAWD, I'd hope so. You have to pass Roseville to get to all those tasty mountain roads -- not to mention Roseville Yamaha, where the service manager rides an FJR and takes good care of us.
Yebbutttttt....PCP ios on the way home.

Some of us can get to tasty Sierra Nevada mountain roads with out slabbing it up I-80. Er..uhm...I mean...for example: Grantline Rd. to Hwy 88 East OR Grantline Rd. to White Rock Rd. to Latrobe Rd. OR Dillard Rd. to Clay Station Rd. to Lockeford and then Hwy 12 East OR from Lockeford, Jack Tone Rd. south to Hwy 26 or Hwy 4 then East, OR.....

AANNNNNDDD...Michael (the parts manager at PCP) matched Zanotti's price for my front stay.

Besides, I got to meet Pat! That was a "win-win" for me. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. One thing, however, continues to elude me. And since they say there's no such thing as a stupid question...so here goes...
What's the best/proper procedure to bring this baby up on the center stand???

I had the same problem when I bought my FJR last November. The first time I wanted to check the oil I couldn't get it up on the centerstand, I had to ask my wife to come to the garage to help me get it up.

I latter found that if I rolled the rear tire onto a 1/4" thick piece of wood then I could get it up by myself. I read the excellent advice on the referenced thread, but even though I had the intellectual knowledge of the procedure, I still couldn't reliably pull it up without using my 'cheater' strip of wood.

Then, after several months of ownership, one day I walked up to the bike, forgot the strip of wood, and just pulled it up on the centerstand. Ever since then I've found it easy to pull it up on the stand anytime I want. I read that others have had this experience of having a lot of trouble until one day, when, just like that, its suddenly easy to get it on the stand.

It is not a strength issue. It's not a lack of force that makes the FJR hard to put on the stand at first. My theory is that your nervous system and muscle memory needs to 'map' the weight and balance of this top heavy bike. Once you've ridden it a while your subconscious groks the geometry of the bike and what was very hard becomes suddenly very easy.

Great looking bike, especially since it came out of the same litter as mine. Would you mind posting a close up shot of the extended pegs? My knees stiffen up on long rides and I've been wanting to add those to mine. Thanks, Jesse

Great looking bike, especially since it came out of the same litter as mine. Would you mind posting a close up shot of the extended pegs? My knees stiffen up on long rides and I've been wanting to add those to mine. Thanks, Jesse
From the location of the pegs they look like Wild Bill's.

I used the Google search method:

Wild Bill site:fjrforum.com and This Threadwas the first one on the list.

Congrats on your '06, I have one just like it, fastest color! You got lucky!

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to ask my wife to come to the garage to help me get it up.
Dude. You can't go lobbing softballs like that around here. I am surprised nobody has hit it out of the park already.

As for the C-stand, lots of threads around here. Like many things in life, it is all about proper technique and not just muscle and fat (RadioHowie). Just ask your wife about how she helps you get it up.

As for the OP and his new FJR............schwiiiiing! Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. One thing, however, continues to elude me. And since they say there's no such thing as a stupid question...so here goes...
What's the best/proper procedure to bring this baby up on the center stand???

I've been attempting this by standing on the right side of the bike with my right foot on the centerstand. I push down on the stand while trying to "rock" the bike backwards by pulling on the handlebars. All it does is slide backwards.

I'm a big guy at 6'3" and can handle a 650lb bike well enough. But it seems to take more effort than it should. :huh:
I'm 6'1" and 190lbs. 90% of the time I park the bike on the center stand.

Mount on stand:

- Bike currently on side stand.

- Stand on the left side. Chest should be directly facing the seat/tank.

- Align front wheel with rear.

- Place left hand on left handle, and right hand in the hand-hold that is on the left side of the bike underneath the seat area.

- Slowly move the bike off the side stand, meaning push bike away from you.

- With your right foot push the center stand down until it touches ground.

- Keep the stand in contact with the ground and slowly move the bike so you can feel when both left and right side toes of the stand touch ground. You will need to move the bike to/away from you to find equilibrium. Don't move bike forward/backward.

- Keep right foot on the center stand.

- When both toes touch ground, press hard on your right foot at the same time lifting up with your right hand and pulling strongly with your left hand.

- After a successful mount say "Whose your daddy!"

If you want pain then do this without wearing shoes!

Dismount from stand:

- Stand in same formation as above with left hand on left handle and right hand in the underneath hand-hold. Do NOT put foot on center stand.

- Be sure front wheel is aligned with rear wheel.

- Pull bike forward.

- When bike moves forward move right hand to right handle.

- When center stand has returned to up position then brake with right hand. Perform a slow brake. A fast brake may alter your balance and bike may drop.

- Bike has come to a stop, simply put down the side stand and rest the bike.

You can also dismount from being on the bike and rocking it forward.

You can also dismount with both hands on the handlebar standing on either side of the bike.

My dismount instructions look like something the military would print, but after you've done it a few times it's very easy and can be accomplished in a few seconds. I've parked mine on the center stand on pavement, dirt, grass, gravel, and on slippery wet surfaces.

I had to ask my wife to come to the garage to help me get it up.
.....and we'll just let that one go by quietly..... :lol:

And yeah Jesse...those are Wild Bill's highway pegs. If you still want a close-up pic posted, just let me know.