Finally Going on a long ride, Need advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I acquired the Cortech (TourMaster) tank bag. Looks really slick but is a piece of crap. I had to modify the way it attaches to the base (added Velcro strips with Super Glue) to make it functional at all, then just a couple of weeks ago popped a zipper tang off the junk pot-metal zippers when the fastening loop just flat broke off (see?! Super Glue again!).

My wife can easily handle 300 miles, can do 350 and has done 400+. Key is a lot of body breaks. When she starts to squirm and shift positions, I know she needs a break and we stop (no, the preceding is not a description of our lovemaking). Touring two-up can be great; just make sure she is enjoying herself and you're not pushing the riding too hard. Be sensitive and alert to what's going on with her. Ask her; don't assume you're reading it correctly. Do some things along the way that SHE really wants to do (if it was up to me, I'd just ride, fill gas, then ride some more).

Also, I'd tell her she is likely to be a little sore and achy after the first day, moreso the second day, maybe not quite so bad the third, better the fourth, fifth, etc. Let her know there will be some suffering endured that entitles her to the fun.

Try to get her interested in the machine, apparel, accessories, riding techniques, the lifestyle, the magazines...(Marilyn loves Peter Egan's column in Cycle). Give her some tasks she is responsible for (my wife is our logistician - planning routes, calculating miles, making reservations). All handled right and she could become your favorite riding companion for life.

Somewhat off-thread, but keeping pillion happy is more important than what you pack, IMHO.

My SO and I have done 2400 miles in 7 days. One side bag each and other essentials in givi 46. Cortech tank bag for liners gloves etc. As others have said stop and buy as you need, I use it as an excuse to get T shirts from everywhere. When we got down to So. Cal we found an UPS store to ship dirties back. Gonna do it again this summer to Park City. Compressor and tire repair kit is under seat, just in case. Leave with the newest tires possible to reduce risk. Watch our for 50 from Falon to Salt Lake area. Hottest I have ever been. good luck. jr

I think if I remember in 1978 I got my girlfriend (now wife ) to get everything she was going to take on a trip on the bike out a week before. I told her it was going into one Krasuer bag . When I went into the room I think I nearly fell over the stuff , so I just went got the bag and said " what fits can go what dosn't stays " . Great discussions followed as to what was needed ,this was solved easy

" What did you wear yesterday on the bike "

" What did you wear last night "

This worked a bit as she realised she had no chance of wearing everything and using everything. This is the best way to train them ,let them decide ( only works when they are young and respect you ).

It has worked from then on in she packs great ,on one trip flying to the USA we were checking our bags in for the return flight at LAX after 3 weeks flying around .The check in aske to reweigh our bags several times till he said "I worked this job for year and never had this, three bag weigh exactly the same amount AND they are different sizes, who packed these "

I reply my wife

" Can she teach my wife and just let me weigh the carry on to see if these scales are working correctly "

The look on his face was priceless a few of the other check in staff couldn't believe it either

The three bags all weighed 22.4 Kgs ( about 49 # ) and the carry on weighed 22.3 kgs.

If I was to do train a women today it's easy , same way BUT I would say if there is any room left over when we get there you can buy something nice to fill it .

Happy travelling .

This is GREAT advice by Big Sky. If Momma isn't happy, NO ONE is happy....remember that and you'll do just fine.

What gear do you have? Jeans and a jacket? Full Aerostitch? Gloves?

I like high-tech (ie wicking) running pants and longsleeve shirt under the 'stich. Cool if you open the vents and warm if you don't. Great for 104deg in Sturgis and 45deg in the Rockies.

Take a 'lectric vest (ever been hailed on in July?) and put heated grips on the bike. don't forget the passenger

Clear shields on the helmets and good sunglasses.

When I travel (bearing in mind I'm currently 800+miles from home for 2 weeks on the bike) :

Tank bag:

Leatherman

cellphone on charger

ipod on charger

GPS on charger

apple, raisins, M&Ms

maps

plastic bags

advil

flashlight

extra Hearos earplugs

tire pressure gauge

sunglasses case

sunscreen

chapstick

kleenex

bike "glove box":

WetWillie helmet cleaner

sidestand plate

advil

GasHog (for gas pumps with vapor return)

Under seat:

Yamaha tools

Cruztools toolkit with extra tools

(ratchet, and everything needed to change sparkplugs and Throttlemeisters, front tire tool)

Spare bulbs (turn, brake, headlight) and fuses (mini and main) and relay (for my added circuits)

Suit pockets:

change for tolls

wallet

Trunk (this trip):

extra gloves (always plan on rain)

tank bag cover

seat cover (for when parked)

laptop w/cables

extra snacks

electrify your tank bag:

https://www.powerletproducts.com/products/ptb.php

Stock suspension? Ever run it fully loaded? It will handle very differently. Try to pack the heavy stuff low and keep your head straight when you're manuvering slow.

If you get buffeting with your helmets, try this:

https://www.rumble-strips.com/index.html

If you take an iPod:

Ear buds

Splitter

Don't hesitate to use UPS/FedEx to send stuff home you don't want to haul around.

I've gone on trips planning to not take enough clothes and pick stuff up along the way.

Take a camera you know how to use. Learning on the trip is a great way to get terrible results.

Make sure she is involved and is in charge of something.

Almost forgot, my laptop and cellphone/PDA both have a secure database of my creditcard info. If my wallet disappears on a trip I have all the acct#s and contact info for everything so I can cancel the cards. If the laptop or PDA disappears I'd trust in the encryption.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife and I did a 12 day 2500 mile trip from OH to FL and back via the Smokies last summer. We were well loaded and well prepared. As others have mentioned, hand her a saddlebag liner and tell her "that's it". My wife poo-pooed about it at first, but when all was said and done, she had brought along stuff she never even wore or used, meaning it was more than enough space. Lesson learned. Take 3 or 4 days of clothing and find a laundromat along the way. We had Chatterboxes and XM to make the trip more pleasant, and I wore a Camelback which we kept filled with ice water. Every stop, just add more ice. Cold beverage always on tap to keep the dehydration at bay. Rain gear went in the Nelson-Rigg tail pack. Beef jerky, tire repair kit, spare batteries and charger for GPS, plus other misc crap in the tank bag. I think the oem bag liners are awesome...I don't know why so many people don't use them. I know the hard bags come off easily, but I also know they get scratched easily coming through hotel room doors. Mine stay on the bike...the liners are easy to pack IMHO. Sounds like an awesome trip you have coming up. I hope it goes flawlessly for you.

I recall reading a bit in a magazine awhile ago on lightweight touring. This guy said he brought all his rattiest underwear, T-shirts, socks, etc., then just threw them away each day.

I recall reading a bit in a magazine awhile ago on lightweight touring. This guy said he brought all his rattiest underwear, T-shirts, socks, etc., then just threw them away each day.

There is a thought?? SO would have a cow though. She has no ratty stuff. Packrat.

I shall on the advice of so many here, Give her a bag and tell her that is it. Shipping stuff home is a good idea. I am sure we will do that. Laundromat as well........

As I plan this trip I am finding I really need 30 days............. What to see what to see :dribble:

I just noticed the 5 Ex Wives

Do not train the new one the same way.

PS how do you cope with 5 EX Mother IN Laws

--------------------

2006 FJR-AE

2005 Goldwing GL1800 SOLD

One choco lab

5 Ex Wives

"I shall on the advice of so many here, Give her a bag and tell her that is it."

This can be very hard on hinges, latches, zippers, etc. as she experiments with compression factors.

Seriously, it is amazing how much stuff you can stow with side cases, tank bag and tail pack/trunk. You'll be fine.

Packing is important. Not sweating it too much, enjoying the ride/tour is more important. Have fun!

We are going to run about 800 miles Friday-Sunday in the extreme northwest corner of Montana (within about five miles of the Canadian/US border), much of the route in some of the most remote country in the lower 48 - the famed "Yaak Country" along the Yaak River up in the Purcell Mountains, and along Lake Koocanusa (45 miles of lonesome turns), where you're always at least 50 miles from anywhere. Some of these are virtually paved logging roads: no striping, no signage, very sudden 20 mph turns. The bears should be out of hibernation and on the roam, gorging on greens that will loosen and rid their bowels of last fall's plugging roughage. Last time through here we encountered a black bear - biggest I've ever seen at 350-400 lbs. - totally unintimidated. We just sat back up the road about 75 yards and waited for him to go about his business down in the roadside brush and timber. Later that day saw a cinnamon bear, probably a two-year-old.

We'll stop at the Dirty Shame and hoist one to your health.

I might have been that letter writer. A couple of years back I sent a letter to one of the mags in regards to "Leaving the laundry for the maid" and they published it. Boy did my family give me crap over that one. :lol: A lot has changed since those days however, and there is no longer any room in my bags for anything cotton. Polyester is your friend as far as I'm concerned. It washes in the sink of my room at night, and packs real small. In July, Jenny and I will be taking to the road for a 10 day, 4,000 mile trip. We wear mesh coats and pants, and both have heated jackets, and cooling vests. You would be surprised just how cool the temps can get, and you can still be quite comfortable with a heated jacket under a mesh jacket and liner. Likewise, a cooling vest under a mesh coat is to me anyways, good for about a 20 degree perceived reduction in the temperature. My tank bag is for anything I plan on using regularily throughout the day, (camara, water, etc) and I bought a T-bag for the back that holds the heated coats, cooling vests, raingear etc, when they aren't in use along with our small toiletry kit and some tools. By using the heated/cooling gear, I have elimated the need to be able layer my clothes or bring and then ultimately at some point pack my heavy jacket. As a result, I found that one side bag for each of us for our extra clothes is more than enough. I carry a couple of spare shirts, a pair of shorts that can double as swimming trunks, a couple of spare pairs of my favorite riding gizmo fabric (or silk) unmentionables and a pair of light non riding foorwear. And, I still have plenty of room to pack my jeans if I deceide to ride in my shorts under my mesh pants instead of the jeans. YMMV, but when it comes to packing, except for tools or raingear, I've done it best when nothing comes back that wasn't used at least once. Besides, as was already pointed out, you are in the USA for heaven sake, you are never more than an hour or so away from a Wallmart. ;)

Acckk I cannot gp NEAR a store with my SO. I would have no gas money left... honestly

I have decided I am going to California..........ish and just going to roam for 9 days, no destinations except Monterey 1 day to see my daughter in school there. I want to ride the coast for a bit...... Mtns for a bit as long as it is not too cold....... Roam... I no longer have a destination. I have several major credit cards and 5k in cash, 2 dell phones, gps and radar detector.......... Givi a FJR and walla. Who cares.... Oh and a tire repair kit.....

Gonna roam, get lost and stay in flebag motels.. Sounds really fun. I am excited. I think this is gonna be fun............ :beach: :eek:k: :superman:

I dont know why you think I deal with the Ex- Mother in laws. I mean part of the reason for EX. Is I did not deal with them when I was married.......

I am getting tired of buying houses for each one and being without till I get a new one....... Like the new one I just got.... No I will NOT get married again. I am keeping this house!! :dwarf:

Gonna roam, get lost and stay in flebag motels.. Sounds really fun. I am excited. I think this is gonna be fun............ :beach: :eek:k: :superman:
If your roaming includes the infamous 'OC', come on over. Barabus, WW's FJR and I all live in Huntington Beach. Drop me a PM for a phone #.

DH and I found a great solution for who gets to pack what: I pack one bike and he packs the other. I guess it's a bit short notice though for your good lady to learn to ride, get a bike, and then prepare for a road trip.

Suggest that you contact your bank before traveling. Let them know where you're going, and that there will be unusual activity on the cards. I've known riders have a hold placed on their ATM card for too many gas purchases in one day.

Have a great, safe trip and I hope we get to see you while you're down here.

Jill

If your roaming includes the infamous 'OC', come on over. Barabus, WW's FJR and I all live in Huntington Beach. Drop me a PM for a phone #.

DH and I found a great solution for who gets to pack what: I pack one bike and he packs the other. I guess it's a bit short notice though for your good lady to learn to ride, get a bike, and then prepare for a road trip.

Suggest that you contact your bank before traveling. Let them know where you're going, and that there will be unusual activity on the cards. I've known riders have a hold placed on their ATM card for too many gas purchases in one day.

Have a great, safe trip and I hope we get to see you while you're down here.

Jill
Thank you so very much!

I would love to. I think I am going to stay north around the redwoods and then around Tahoe.... I realy Really need more time... I do assume tho that I will be meeting all of you at the WFO, Yes??

looks like you guys don't know how to teach them right
LOL! So true. My S.O. went for her first ride with me 5.5 years ago. One of the reasons we got together was the bike, when we met she told me "Oh, I've alway wanted to ride on a motorcycle!"

"Oh, REALLY??" says I. :)

And for having never ridden on a bike, she's been the best passenger I've ever had. You hardly know she's back there. But the first overnight I took her on wasn't all that far, a small quaint hotel I know out in the Hill Country and we were on my CBR at that time.

I made Miss Prim and Proper (who needs a garment bag and 3 suitcases to go to NYC for a long weekend :blink: ) pack for this overnight in two zip lock baggies! :yahoo: One was a sandwich bag!

You just need to make them understand there are space contraints and you have to do what you have to do. Now, I get her involved in packing and she's great at space management and knowing what to weed out and what to take.

We're heading to Big Bend for 5 days over Memorial and can't wait!

There's some great stuff here as for what to take. Everything I'd recommend already has been.

What to see what to see :dribble:
Well, if your doing CA. you have to run the coast. You can't beat LA to Monterrey, but up north of the Bay is also a great stretch of PCH 1. Take it up through Mendocino through the Red Woods to Hwy 36 just south of Fortuna (south of Eureka). 36 across past Red Bluff to 89 and then down through the Gold Rush Country. Spend a night at the Awahnee in the Yosemite Basin for a touch of class and scenery.

There's a ton of stuff to do in CA. on the bike. I'm envious, have fun!

You can't beat LA to Monterrey, but up north of the Bay is also a great stretch of PCH 1. Take it up through Mendocino through the Red Woods to Hwy 36 just south of Fortuna (south of Eureka). 36 across past Red Bluff to 89 and then down through the Gold Rush Country. Spend a night at the Awahnee in the Yosemite Basin for a touch of class and scenery.
There's a ton of stuff to do in CA. on the bike. I'm envious, have fun!
All on the schedule that is subjet to change. Then around Lake Tahoe for a bit

mutley.gif