Finally, I'm in!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my new(to me)08 beauty yesterday and rode it home 140 miles in 40 degree weather with a big fat smile on my face the whole time. I made the mistake of riding an 08 at a dealer 2 years ago and haven't been able to shake the rush it gave me since. I joined this forum at that time and have been reading and learning since. I also have looked at practically every FJR in the country the last few months through cycle trader and ebay. Finally found the one for me through a great guy named Jim in Evansville,Ind. Rode it back to Louisville,Ky yesterday. What a great machine! Had a blast even though I felt like a popscicle most of the way (factory heated grips first farkle on the horizon)I've had a BMW RT the last 9 years and Harleys and Kaws prior to that. They were all good bikes but none have matched the pure joy of slicing through the wind on a machine that feels like its a part of you. Can't wait to get back on it. You'll have to excuse me now,I think she's calling me. Jay
Welcome home ! If you see a 2004 pass by on Indiana 62 near the Overlook it will most likely be me :)

Scooper

Bought my new(to me)08 beauty yesterday and rode it home 140 miles in 40 degree weather with a big fat smile on my face the whole time. I made the mistake of riding an 08 at a dealer 2 years ago and haven't been able to shake the rush it gave me since. I joined this forum at that time and have been reading and learning since. I also have looked at practically every FJR in the country the last few months through cycle trader and ebay. Finally found the one for me through a great guy named Jim in Evansville,Ind. Rode it back to Louisville,Ky yesterday. What a great machine! Had a blast even though I felt like a popscicle most of the way (factory heated grips first farkle on the horizon)I've had a BMW RT the last 9 years and Harleys and Kaws prior to that. They were all good bikes but none have matched the pure joy of slicing through the wind on a machine that feels like its a part of you. Can't wait to get back on it. You'll have to excuse me now,I think she's calling me. Jay
I can totally relate. I started looking at the FJR about a year ago and its been pure torcher not having one. I just picked up my new 2009 last weekend. Unfortunately it was about -20 C the day I picked it up so I couldn't ride it home. But I've been in the garage drooling over it since I got it home Saturday. I got the factory heated grips. I can't wait to try her out come spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already priced the OEM heated grips and although they were a little steep ($400plus?)I think that will be my 1st addition, just haven't decided for sure if I'm going to try to tackle installation or let the dealer do it. The Powerlet sounds like a great idea too as I've gotten spoiled by my beemer heated vest and plug in trickle charger. Thanks for the suggestion that will probably be #2. Ride safe

Just got my grips here: https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/209/408/4148/1/0/0/1/4/4/2699/41445/grip-warmer-kit.aspx

Complete kit and ready to go, instructions here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113501

Grips work great, had the bike yesterday and really enjoyed them.

I looked forever to find the factory grips at a deal. Finally snagged a lightly used set from a forum member. Even at full price, such a nice addition to the bike probably worth it. Factory fit, plug-n-play. My favorite farkle next to the audiovox cc. Don't look that one up on this forum unless you want your brain to hurt for days...

Congrats on the bike, and yes, 08 is the best year and color. I'm unbiased, of course :yahoo:

Sweet, you bought the best year and fastest color. I'm just up the road in Cincinnati, so give me a shout when the weather breaks. We're looking at 3 to 6 inches of snow tomorrow and cabin fever is really starting to set in... :angry2:

Sweet, you bought the best year and fastest color. I'm just up the road in Cincinnati, so give me a shout when the weather breaks. We're looking at 3 to 6 inches of snow tomorrow and cabin fever is really starting to set in... :angry2:
I would much rather have a fast bike than a fast color. Thats just me.

I would much rather have a fast bike than a fast color. Thats just me.
That would go without saying if you owned a black 08... :)

Howdie from Sunny Florida. Have been riding mine more and more since the weather got nice. Gen 1's and Florida summers don't mix to well, so I really enjoy the winters. Maybe you could throw it on the back of the truck and come on down for Daytona Bike week. You know, give her a proper "breaking in."

Gary in Tampa

Jay,

I also have an '08. I installed the OEM heated grips and a Powerlet outlet for my heated vest and battery tender. The Powerlet connects directly to the battery and I located mine my the left side muffler bracket, right above my left ankle, the cable length and mounting bracket is FJR specific.
Heated grips are ordered. Am in the process of ordering the Powerlet but the two options for a side mount both appear to be next to the key hole for the seat lock. Looks like a clean installation there. Is this the location you're referring to or is there another option? (I'm aware of the options for a top mount but would rather have it on the side)

Thanks!!

BTW - it got all the way up to 40 today so I had to go for a short ride!

Am in the process of ordering the Powerlet but the two options for a side mount both appear to be next to the key hole for the seat lock. Looks like a clean installation there. Is this the location you're referring to or is there another option? (I'm aware of the options for a top mount but would rather have it on the side)

Thanks!!

I have my powerlet mounted next to the seat lock. Works fine for my heated liner. I pull the cord between my legs and plug in before I mount the bike. It's possible to plug in after getting on the bike, but it's hard to see the hole from that position and my powerlet has a spring loaded cap on it that's a little hard to manipulate one handed while trying to get the plug in. Maybe if I put some hair around the hole, it'll be easier to find? :p

BTW, I also mounted another powerlet on the other side for the wife to eventually plug her "not yet obtained" heated liner in.

:yahoo: Resistance was futile. You have been assimilated. :yahoo:

By the way, be sure to take advantage of many of the free services provided by the FJR forum, specifically the one where we help you deplete your bank account by suggesting farkles you simply can't live without.

;)
Boy, ain't that the truth, and I was gonna keep my bike stock..................that didn't last very long!!

Hope to join the ranks soon. I've got my eyes on an '08. Good deal from a good shop. Hope to see you on the road soon.

Greetings from Springboro Ohio. Congrats on your new fjr. I bought my 2008 in November and rode it home in 40 degree weather from Indy to Dayton. I still have the smile frozen on my face. Good Luck and enjoy the hell out of it.

Am in the process of ordering the Powerlet but the two options for a side mount both appear to be next to the key hole for the seat lock. Looks like a clean installation there. Is this the location you're referring to or is there another option? (I'm aware of the options for a top mount but would rather have it on the side)

Thanks!!

I have my powerlet mounted next to the seat lock. Works fine for my heated liner. I pull the cord between my legs and plug in before I mount the bike. It's possible to plug in after getting on the bike, but it's hard to see the hole from that position and my powerlet has a spring loaded cap on it that's a little hard to manipulate one handed while trying to get the plug in. Maybe if I put some hair around the hole, it'll be easier to find? :p

BTW, I also mounted another powerlet on the other side for the wife to eventually plug her "not yet obtained" heated liner in.
My powerlet is also next to the seat lock, my vest has the connector on the left hip (I think most do), so it's a short reach to that point. Plus, I got used to that location from my old BMW K1200 RS.