Fingers go to sleep from holding grips..pls help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsozz

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I am a newbie to riding and just got an 08 FJR. Every time I ride my fingers go to sleep and tingle. At this rate I would not be able to tollerate a long ride so this is a big problem. I am wearing Alpinestar gloves but dont know if the gloves could be part of the problem. My wrists are slightly bent backwards while resting on the handles as a result of the position of the break and cluch. Also I found that if I try to hold the accelerator with my fingers, instead of allowing my fingers fo rest on the break lever, my hand tingles worse. Anybody know what I am doing wrong...????[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Gsozz

Think about your riding position. Risers help. The "Master Yoda Riding Position" helps (you can google it), a Throttlemeister (or other throttle-locking or cruise control device) helps, and maybe one of those paddle deals you can rest your hand on to hold the throttle position where you want it for longer periods. Main thing is probably too much weight on your hands, so look into the first two things listed up there. One other simple possibility: grip pads. Some use "grip puppies," but I have a pair that are easy-off and on, using velcro so your hand is more open.

Could be the gloves if they are too tight. Loosen the levers also and rotate them down ( forward ) a little, your wrists should not be bent "backwards " at all. :unsure: Try to loosen your grip on the bars, sometimes newbies have a death grip on the bars, and a lot of guys ride with just their thumb and first finger on the bars, all other fingers on the levers. ( picture the OK sign with your fingers )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto Sacramento Mike and Highlander. Loosen the grip on the handgrips, get a Crampbuster, think about a Throttlemeister. Above all relax and enjoy the ride.

Master Yoda seating position really helped me. Also try "grip puppies" an inexpensive grip that goes over the factory grips. google it, they are about 10 bucks.

Gloves can be a big factor. I can't overemphasize this. Nice touring gloves, like Helds, work better for me than Alpine Stars. I have a pair of Alpine Star CE approved gloves size L, and they are a terrible interface to the FJR for me. They are great on some other bikes I ride regularly though, so its not just the glove, but the glove, the hand, and the bike.

Less weight on your hands can also help. Reduction of the vibration transmission to your hands via grip puppies or similar can be useful too, but this might be dealt with through gloves too. Grip puppies are cheaper than good gloves, so they might be a preferred solution sometimes.

I am a newbie to riding and just got an 08 FJR. Every time I ride my fingers go to sleep and tingle. At this rate I would not be able to tollerate a long ride so this is a big problem.
I experience the same thing on my 08 - and I am not new to riding. I have considered moving the bars back to the 3rd position and perhaps adding bar end weights to reduce vibration - but I just recently purchased both grip puppies and crampbuster to hopefully help in the meantime. I can let you know how that works for me.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the Grip Puppies so far. They've rendered the grips almost too big when installed as suggested over the stock grips. May try them "naked." Bar risers on my '05 seemed to help just a bit. New gloves that are a bit more loose seemed to help a bit.

But with all these measures, I'm still getting some numbness after an hour or so. I've got to read more about the Yoda position and focus a bit more on a more relaxed grip, I think.

[SIZE=12pt]I am a newbie to riding and just got an 08 FJR. Every time I ride my fingers go to sleep and tingle. At this rate I would not be able to tollerate a long ride so this is a big problem. I am wearing Alpinestar gloves but dont know if the gloves could be part of the problem. My wrists are slightly bent backwards while resting on the handles as a result of the position of the break and cluch. Also I found that if I try to hold the accelerator with my fingers, instead of allowing my fingers fo rest on the break lever, my hand tingles worse. Anybody know what I am doing wrong...????[/SIZE]
Thanks,

Gsozz
Don’t know how old you are but as I get older (50’s) I find that this is more of a problem than it use to be. My throttle hand starts to bother me after as little as 30 minutes now. As an interim solution I purchased a CrampBuster paddle (https://www.crampbuster.com/) and it allows me to relax my grip and get the circulation back in my fingers but I really don’t like it because it does get in the way. I think I can see some HeliBars in my future.

John

I get it also. Not bad, but more than I've noticed on any bike I can remember. I'm about 6' and pretty lean and I've been trying to reduce weight on my hands. I also added grip puppies and TM heavy bar ends. My last bike, a K1200RS, had me leaning over more but I never experienced hand numbness. Bike is in for the 600 today and I asked them to do a TBS, so with any luck that will help eliminate (or substantially reduce) the vibration (3700+ rpm). If not, that sucks because I imagine most of us got the bike thinking of at least some long-distance riding.

Welcome, by the way.

I've done the throttle spring release, heavy bar ends, TBS, throttle rocker, and a PCIII and it's ok now, although still more buzz than my previous ST1100 and FZ1. The FJR, for all its greatness, is still a bit of a buzzer!

If yah got tingling stuff going on its likely due to some irritation of nerves or compression of blood supply. Buzzing in the bars can do this. Bad wrist position too can cause this.

While expensive, you can try the Helibars triple clamp riser set up. Raises hand up and back + slightly changes the wrist angle. I have them on my '08 and it helps with a wrist cramp on long rides as well as upper back tension I get.

You could try some bar end weights to dampen the vibes to the bars -> here <- .

Good Luck

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the same issues after I first purchased my 06 FJR... but after a month or so the problem stopped... not sure if it was my body getting used to the riding position... or the fact that I was more relaxed and not holding on for dear life every time I cracked open the throttle

Thanks,

Gsozz
I had the same problem when riding long stretches. Crampbusters were recommended but I couldn't find them anywhere locally so I ordered a couple online and got them within 3 days in the mail. Those long streteches aren't so long anymore.

Ditto on what others have said. When I first got my 03 I had the same problem. I added grip puppies and heli risers and that helped. It came with a throttle lock and that helped. But what helped the most was just riding the bike, building confidence. Then I was able to relax my death grip. Hope you find the right solution for you.

Mark

Do the TBS's at the recommended intervals as set out in the manual and get some miles on that thing. It will get smoother and smoother.

I thought the same way as you with my first couple of 2 hour plus rides.

Also, get a glove with some good gel pads and concentrate on relaxing your grip.