first 600 miles on '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickey191

Reaction score
got my 600 mile service today (got the bike on Friday). Took me longer than it should, but it was raining all weekend and she looked so good when she was clean.

Anyway - opening thoughts on riding the '06. Please, remember - I'm coming to the FJR from a K1200LT - and have only had limited time in other people's FJR saddles.

The good:

I wont dwell on the power. It is linear and smooth though the throttle is a bit touchy to me. Awesome comes to mind.

Bike feels very planted - running Bridgestones Battleax tires. Much grippier than my Mich. 880's. didn't run them hard in the wet as they were new - but seemed pretty solid. Don't know about wear.

Suspension - feels stiff to me even on the low setting (I weight 220) and will probably improve a bit with use. Need to play with front settings - see below for cons. All in all it feels solid in sweepers but a little harsh.

As I feel the power and handling of the bike are its major assets - I'll stop there and move to nits:

The bad:

The whistle is actually starting to get irritating. I'll work on eliminating it this weekend. Honestly, don't think it will take much - mostly at higher position, but happens at many different speeds.

Weather protection (at least compared to LT) sucks. I find the bike incredibly noisy. I ride with a flip up HJC helmet that is already noisy - the wind noise is way loud. I find myself riding with the wind screen mostly all the way down at least then the air is smooth.

Today was close to 80 and there is still significant heat coming out of the bike. I noticed over the cool weekend heat on the left side about calf level. Not bad, but noticeable on a cool day. Felt kind of good. Today - while stopped at lights I could feel significant heat on right calf. I'm wearing slacks, plus Darien pants. Don't feel much at speed, but definitely it is there when stopped or very slow.

Handling - above I said it was great in sweepers. It is also good in relatively tight turns, but I find it a bit of a pig in very tight slow speed turns. Part of this is probably me trying to get used to the throttle, and being cautious. But I dont think the front end wants to drop into a turn. Compared to a GS - the bike is a stubborn mule in slow speed stuff. Feels to me like a over tight steering damper.

Fit and finish. I don't think it compares to the fit and finish of Honda or BMW. Paint is nice, but seems soft to me. Plastic fits OK, but some of it feels "tweeked". When you take a panel off - you might have to hold another one in position to get screws to drop in - where a Honda panels would just line up. This could also be assembly problems and after I take all the plastic off - it may line up better (or worse).

Yamaha could learn from honda and bmw about controls. (yeah... I know most people hate bmw turn signals, but I don't). The flasher on the right side handle bar switch is silly. I have activated it for a right turn at least a dozen times. Switch gear doesn't seem like it is high quality.

No button to access or change or reset the trip computer. This is really stupid. Should have put THAT where the flasher is. Though the old flasher location was even worse.

Trip computer counts up from a certain amount of gas left in the tank. Should have a "Miles to empty" which is more useful.

Trip computer is sort of lame the way it works. Not user friendly. My bike also has the 17 MPG max on the Instant fuel consumption. Which is a pretty useless item. My bmw I could just hit reset - and have instant fuel consumption (quite a bit faster, too).

SEAT - Sucks. But, it seems to be breaking in a bit.

handlebars - are mounted in the most upright position, but I could use 1" risers. I think that would be perfect. Low seat hight makes this actually worse for me (and then cramps my legs).

Windscreen - I'll try saeng edging - but my guess is that it could be 2" taller. or maybe even more.

Definitely needs the vee-strom handgrips. Purchased them today and will put them on this weekend.

Mirrors seem adequate, but don't give much of a view directly behind. will have to mount saeng cockpit mirrors... ASAP

Throttle - as I said it is touchy (sensitive) it also has too strong a spring rate.

No Cruise Control

No heated grips (I know I can add them)

A little buzzy right around 3800 rpm - Actually, I think I need to sync the throttle bodies

I believe that this bike IS the premier touring mount - just not right out of the box. Wiring it for farkles isn't going to be the easiest, but with some good heat resistant looming and good planning - it wont be all that bad. Just not a lot of places to mount stuff. Not sure a dash shelf will work - with the angle of the windshield - but I'll look more closely this weekend. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling to Reno next week and wont get to ride much.

sounds like I'm not happy - NOT TRUE. I'm still grinning ear to ear every morning on the way to work and it is difficult not to take off early to go for a ride - especially the last two gorgeous days. Hope it holds up for the weekend.

Larger screen will have you happy again. All that heated stuff, I dunno, I never seem to need it and I rode while it was snowing in the hills.

I guess once I try it, I'll never want to come back.

Did I mention a taller windscreen?

Aftermarket seats are simply a must. But you would say that about an R1200RT seat too. They suck.

All those negatives and still a smile! Engines have more power than horsepower ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have got to ask, do you ride with ear plugs? You should! The whistle is something (probably) with the 06 fairing re-design. I am sure it will get figured out. I don't know what you mean about two sensitive throttle? The engine pulls like a railroad engine from idle, but I don't consider it sensitive. Throttle body sync should eliminate the buzz. think you will appreciate it in turns more after some more miles. An In Line 4 is different than your used to. I never road mine with the stock suspension. I put the wilbers front springs and rear shock before it had gone a mile. The spring rates and defienetly the swing arm has changed with this model. Most especially with passenger find little adjustment stock. TJ

k12 has a 4.

what I mean by sensitive throttle is that it is abrupt - especially in 1st or 2nd gear. Part of that will fix itself with recalibrating my right hand, I'm sure.

and yes - I wasn't riding an RT - My wife had one and that too, was a horrible seat. Not uncomfortable in padding - but horrible design in that it pushed you into the tank - and under braking it was downright sterilizing.

changed that one to a hard Corbin - which I liked a lot. to me - it isn't the padding in the seat as much as it is the shape and contour.

Example - My Russel seat on my LT fit me perfectly at one time. I've lost a lot of weight and it didn't fit so well recently.

George Zelenz rode my bike and absolutely HATED the Russel, though he has one on his fjr. Same seat - same design - different butts.

I will say that the seat is better today than it was on Saturday. so there might be hope for it.

Before I change the windsheild I'll try stealth edging.

I bet I get the whistling out of it by this weekend. I'll post back the results.

George Zelenz rode my bike and absolutely HATED the Russel, though he has one on his fjr. Same seat - same design - different butts.
Yea, but what does George know about long distance riding? ;)

Oh yeah - I wear earplugs most all the time. Short trips I probably don't as much as I should - the difference here is that my ride to work on the LT was a short trip. It was quiet enough that I didn't need to wear them on a 20 mile commute. With the FJR - I WILL have to wear them for the 20 miles.

two points -

Not riding to reno - wish I was - but I'll be carrying a shotgun and a couple of hundred rounds of birdshot. Not real fun without saddle bags and carrying the gun always makes for interesting gas stops !

I'm going to a shooting (sporting clays) competition - so I'm going to have to drive (dammit)

As for George knowing anything about LD riding.....

good point :bleh:

Mirrors seem adequate, but don't give much of a view directly behind. will have to mount saeng cockpit mirrors... ASAP
chickey191, The mirrors you are talking about, are they the quickscans. On their website they don't show cockpit mounts utilizing mirrors. How do you mount the mirrors using a cockpit mount? I really don't like the look of the quickscans mounted to the windscreen. Any input? Thanks, PM. <>< :blink:

Yes - I mispoke - they ARE Quick Scans - not cockpit mounts. they have several different versions -

Bar end - plastic mount - windshield mount.

They are larger than the old ones I have - (and more expensive, too)

Actually - I will probably just send off for new mounting pads - and use my old ones. Mine mounted on my windshield. Could have mounted them in other locations, but I like having them high in my line of sight so that I don't have to lower my line of sight to view them. I didn't realize how much I used them until I replace the windshield on my last bike and didn't remount them (knowing the bike would soon be sold). Drove me nuts not having them.

should have ordered the replacement pads a long time ago.

to the person who asked -

70 MPH is right about 3800 rpm. 4,000 is 76 or so =

both "indicated" - I have not verified with my gps, yet.

My guess is that the speedo is off about 3 mph (fast) at that speed - but that IS a guess.