First Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite BRP picture

DSCF0004.JPG

Wife and I are loading the 05 on the Auto Train in Sanford on June 1st and will arrive in Lorton the next morning. From there we are heading to Skyline Drive and then down the BRP into NC. How cold does it get up there in June, thinking about bringing the heavier jackets along with the phoenix jackets and liners.

After we leave the BRP we are heading over to Charleston and then down to Savannah and home (central Florida) We are getting really revved for this trip.

Any recommendations for places to stay that may be better than others?

My wife and I rode BRP couple years ago (N.C. area) in late April and even then long sleeves and our Pheonix mesh jackets were fine. There were a few chilly sections but at 50-55 mph we never got cold. You should be just fine in June, temps should be comfortable. I hope to be up in that area again sometime between late April and early June to visit my aunt who lives in Richmond. Have to stop over at Deals Gap for a quickee

Then again, I've been there in the 4th week of May where I had to chip ice off the seat in the morning. Electric vests and grip heaters were a blessing. Other years it was fuggin hot.

My wife and I rode the BRP late May / early June last year. One day was chilly, the next was perfect. Before going, our research told us that the weather is very unpredictable and that proved to be correct. Rain is always a possibility. We rented a neat little cabin in Linville, NC.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We had a great time and want to go back some time. We also rode the Dragon which was a blast.

Offering simply a suggestion that has worked for me pretty well. Since our last trip to BRP I have purchased several frogg toggs about two sets a year due to wear--wind--heat, etc. Anyway, they are relitively inexpensive and I find myself wearing them a lot. They work as a light wind breaker for cool temps, they are breathable so they are not uncomfortable w/respect to warm temps and they are perfect rain gear. I think for such a trip at such a time they would likely cover most if not all the bases. Higher elevation changes you may encounter some thermoclines warm into cool and vice verse, it may be sunny and warm on one ridge, go around a curve and it may be raining on the back side of the same ridge. But, I would like to think by June for the most part there should'nt be any major temp change issues. Available space for such trips is always an issue, the frogg toggs are multi purpose for me and they compress fairly small when put in a freezer bag, just push all the air out and zip-um up. Good luck, its a great bike trip, I find it real hard to go 50 mph on the feejer for long periods

Take it from someone who was there in June. One day willl be cool (highs in the 50's) and the next day ideal ( highs in the 70's). The weather in the mountians is unpredictable -- prepare for the extremes AND prepare for rain.

The BRP is one of America's treasures -- enjoy it!!! FYI -- the speed limit on the BRP is 45 mph.

Everything they said for gear.Places to stay are many. Around boone n.c. is real good,alot of good hotels and restaurants,further down the road is a good place right on the parkway called little switzerland,they've got great accomadations and on frday night a killer seafood buffet don't miss it if your close by.Also there are many good roads to ride off the parkway if you've got time ride 421 from boone to shadyvalley and another cool place to go invalle cruz just down from boone is a place called the mast store.Down past ashville is agood place to stay just off the BRP weston 276 towards waynesville called the blue ridge motorcycle campgroud it has cabins as well as camping and very good eats at the dining hall.Fairly cheap at 40 bucks a night.Ther are many good roads and places to explore have fun but be mindful that speeding tickets on the parkway are very expensive.

Excellent advice all around. I have already got the Frog Togs and they are great. Knowing my wife, I am sure we will be carrying the warmer jackets along with the air mesh ones. Really looking forward to it.

+1 on all the advice. The BRP is a great ride two-up -- lots to share. Don't forget to stop at every scenic overlook and get off and take in the view. At that rate it'll only take a month or so to complete the ride! One year we went on a side road to the top of a mountain to watch hang gliders jump off and soar into the valley. That day -- with all the scenic overlooking, piccy taking, roadside stopping/shopping, and cobbler eating -- we made a grand total of 50 miles!

charismaticmegafauna: LMAO about stopping at EVERY scenic overlook. It became a somewhat of a joke while we were doing the ride last year: Enjoy a fabulous view, take in the sites, suit back up, helmet on, gloves, etc... pull over in about 110 feet down the road and do it all over again. :D God, is that road BEAUTIFUL. (Does anyone else hate January?)

I guess I have been on it enough times that I stopped noticing, and thats a real shame initself, I guess I should remember to take the time. What's really bad is when my significantly better half rides it with me, then its a constant stop ooohhh aaahhh all day long. The last time I rode it by myself (a short stretch in N.C.) it was early and I got the biggest and best kick out of riding through the clouds as they streamed over the parkway, then over the tip of the ridge to the other side, now that really ran chills down my back, too see the cloud as you approach, too see it below you and being pushed up against the side of the mountain by the wind and rushing over the parkway. I dont care what anybody says, thats way cool!!! Now this isnt fog mind you, its a thin white mist, riding in and out of that situation is an absolute blast....period!

All the advice is much appreciated. If I have gotten one piece of information above all others is that the weather is unpredictable and so I will pack both jackets. Thanks for all the input.

Hey guys, I was just looking at the 2006 EOM in Boone, NC thread and thought I'd remind those of you a little less familiar with the BRP that it goes through Boone and intersects with yet another great set of routes.

You can catch 321 North to 421 and over two beautiful mountains through Shady Valley TN into Bristol. Or continue on 321 for a great mountain trip into Johnson City for some R&R and good eats.

There are over 400 turns along the way on 421 and it's all new pavement. HUGE fun but it's the new Dragon so watch out for the crotch rockets and maybe even a few LEOs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice from TheRepairMan. In fact, those of you approaching from the west can pick up 421 in Madison, IN (after you've done Nashville to Story in Brown County -- or, U.S.150 in the Hoosier N.F.). I call it the "Peter Egan Route"-- after a story he wrote ages ago in R&T about driving 421 in an MG. imho, some of the most fun you can have sport-touring -- if you've got the time?

On our trips to the BRP we started skipping Skyline Drive. On the BRP headed south, it seems like the mountaintop fog affected us the closer we got to the NC border. Heading home (to the west) are some great roads and views near the Canaan Valley. Speed limits (for those who care) are something like 25 to 35 on Skyline Drive and 45 on most of the Blue Ridge if memory serves.....correct me if I'm wrong. All in all, with the BRP limited access, beaucoup twisties and awesome views, one of the best routes I've ever been on.