First change to my '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonG

Reaction score
I now have about 400 miles on my new FJR.

I commute about 50 miles a day, which is mostly highway.

After a couple days on the highway I found myself wanting the handlebars a little closer to me.

So today I moved the handlebars to the rear position.

It was easy to do. I'm not sure why the manual states to have the dealer do it.

Next up will be frame sliders and a taller windscreen.

Overall, I'm loving this bike! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone having problems with a Pikepass not reading when placed in the glovebox?

When I'm traveling at 30-40 mph it reads fine. When I'm traveling 70-80 mph it does not read.

I now have about 400 miles on my new FJR.I commute about 50 miles a day, which is mostly highway.

After a couple days on the highway I found myself wanting the handlebars a little closer to me.

So today I moved the handlebars to the rear position.

It was easy to do. I'm not sure why the manual states to have the dealer do it.

Next up will be frame sliders and a taller windscreen.

Overall, I'm loving this bike! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone having problems with a Pikepass not reading when placed in the glovebox?

When I'm traveling at 30-40 mph it reads fine. When I'm traveling 70-80 mph it does not read.

Haha check the speed limit when going through....that may be your problem :D .

Congrats on the first of probably many changes.

You should get those sliders on sooner than later, G. Cheap insurance against potential damage to VERY expensive tupperware.

Howdy-

At 250 miles, I moved my handlebars back, as well. (The trick was to loosen both at the same time, then each moves easily, not needing to be pried.)

What frame sliders are you looking at? That's the other main thing I want to do, too :)

I commute about 25 miles on the highway, but spend 1/3-1/2 it going slow. I expected to want a taller windscreen, but don't think so anymore. What's making you want a taller one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved my handle bars back as well. About a five minute job. Very simple especially when you loosen both bars at the same time. I would have liked to got in on the Heli clamp group buy but I just didn't have enough time in the saddle with the bars in the closest position to pull the trigger. My guess is that I will need some type of riser. I'll wait and see if there's another group buy or can score some on ebay or the classifieds.

I just ordered some T-Rex frame sliders.

Congrats on the first of what I'm sure will be many "mods" you're going to make to your bike.

Make frame sliders your next priority. I involuntarily tested a set of Skyway delrin sliders. Worked exactly as advertised.

Cheap insurance for very expensive plastic. :D

I need to add sliders ASAP. What are the dimensions of the T-Rex and why did you go with those instead of the Skyway? $23 for the T-Rex compared $85 for the Skyways is a big difference!

Howdy-
At 250 miles, I moved my handlebars back, as well. (The trick was to loosen both at the same time, then each moves easily, not needing to be pried.)

What frame sliders are you looking at? That's the other main thing I want to do, too :)

I commute about 25 miles on the highway, but spend 1/3-1/2 it going slow. I expected to want a taller windscreen, but don't think so anymore. What's making you want a taller one?
I'm not sure on frame sliders yet; I'm still researching all possibilities.

I'm getting quite a bit of buffeting at highway speeds. If I lower my head a few inches, it goes away.

It's actually quite comfortable at highway speeds with the windshield down (it's been hot here). But I will need the windshield when it turns cold.

I just ordered some T-Rex frame sliders.
I have the T-Rex sliders...nice and cheap. Don't know how well they'll work, but I hope I don't need to find out
I'm on my second set of T-Rex Sliders after I dropped my bike at 0mph. The slider cracked at the base and that's the reason I have to replace it.

Zero damage on plastics though. :yahoo:

High Yukon, I'm 5 miles south of you.

I have Motovation sliders on mine, but thats only because they came on the bike. I would have gotten Skyways had I been putting them on myself.

Here in OK you an go through the pike pass lane at the speed limit which is 75mph. The onlyn reason I can see that it didn't read it is because it has to be standing on its side in the glove box. I keep mine in my tank bag and have no trouble.

Glenn

BTW did you buy at Baker Boys or Maxey's?

Just ordered the tall touring windshield from Seattle Sports Plaza for less than a hundred bucks to my door. I have heard a lot of people like it. I will find out. The short one is ok to me except on a very long ride or if it is cold. I am kinda use to noise plus I'm half deaf anyway.

High Yukon, I'm 5 miles south of you.
I have Motovation sliders on mine, but thats only because they came on the bike. I would have gotten Skyways had I been putting them on myself.

Here in OK you an go through the pike pass lane at the speed limit which is 75mph. The onlyn reason I can see that it didn't read it is because it has to be standing on its side in the glove box. I keep mine in my tank bag and have no trouble.

Glenn

BTW did you buy at Baker Boys or Maxey's?
That is probably my problem. I had it sitting flat.

Because of other stuff in there, today I had it at about a 45 degree angle, and it registered on about half of the sensors.

I think if I turn it on it's side, it will be fine...Thanks.

I bought my FJR at Baker Boys. I was completely satisfied with how they handled the sale.

Anything about them I should know?

Howdy-

If you ride more not during commute times, you may find that you want a larger screen

I've been doing business with them for 9 years. It was actually Allison Yamaha before. The owner of Allison was one of my good friends. The Bakers are good people too. I've bought 8-9 bikes from them over the years.

I think I saw your bike at the dealership about 2-3 weeks ago. Scott said he thought he had someone interested in it.

If you ever want to go ride let me know.

Glenn

Scott was my salesman.

What year is your FJR?