First change to my '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to add sliders ASAP. What are the dimensions of the T-Rex and why did you go with those instead of the Skyway? $23 for the T-Rex compared $85 for the Skyways is a big difference!
Not sure what the dimensions are. After doing a little research on this board I figured for the price T-Rex sliders would work for me. If down the road I have some extra money I may change out to Skyway, but for now these will work just fine.

Just moved my bars back last week. I really want to add risers too. Added frame sliders and am having a Break Away installed now as the bike is in the shop for break in service.

I got a V stream shield in too this week. Have not put many miles on it but first reaction is that it will be great in winter but too hot for central texas in summer. It also seems to have a lot of movement at top in full up position. I think I am going to cut vents in stock shield as seen in posts here.

Howdy-
At 250 miles, I moved my handlebars back, as well. (The trick was to loosen both at the same time, then each moves easily, not needing to be pried.)

What frame sliders are you looking at? That's the other main thing I want to do, too :)

I commute about 25 miles on the highway, but spend 1/3-1/2 it going slow. I expected to want a taller windscreen, but don't think so anymore. What's making you want a taller one?
I'm not sure on frame sliders yet; I'm still researching all possibilities.

I'm getting quite a bit of buffeting at highway speeds. If I lower my head a few inches, it goes away.

It's actually quite comfortable at highway speeds with the windshield down (it's been hot here). But I will need the windshield when it turns cold.
I've just added a Yammie Touring windscreen and for $118 out the door I like it alot. I'm 5'8" and the extra 4 inches on the new screen works very well.

Congrats on the first of probably many changes.
You should get those sliders on sooner than later, G. Cheap insurance against potential damage to VERY expensive tupperware.
Just my opinion, I question whether sliders do any good on a FJR or not. I've seen several FJRs that have gone down in slow speed manuevers, and the damage is very consistent. One of the bikes I know well has sliders, two do not. There is virtually no difference in where the damage occurs.

I now have about 400 miles on my new FJR.I commute about 50 miles a day, which is mostly highway.

After a couple days on the highway I found myself wanting the handlebars a little closer to me.

So today I moved the handlebars to the rear position.

It was easy to do. I'm not sure why the manual states to have the dealer do it.

Next up will be frame sliders and a taller windscreen.

Overall, I'm loving this bike! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone having problems with a Pikepass not reading when placed in the glovebox?

When I'm traveling at 30-40 mph it reads fine. When I'm traveling 70-80 mph it does not read.

I was referred to a company called Laminar Lip to purchase a windshield extension. Installing was easy and now the wind is diverted anywhere from 6"to 8" above my head. Even with the windshield all the way up I was still getting alot of "bobble head" effect. No problems now and no restrictions to visibility. You should look into it. Check out Laminarlip.com.

6"-8"? Wow. That's better than most report, but if it works for you, well then it works.

LL didn't work for me. I didn't think it helped at all.

I now have about 400 miles on my new FJR.I commute about 50 miles a day, which is mostly highway.

After a couple days on the highway I found myself wanting the handlebars a little closer to me.

So today I moved the handlebars to the rear position.

It was easy to do. I'm not sure why the manual states to have the dealer do it.
Being not so mechanically inclined myself, was it a fairly easy task YukonG? I have 350 miles on my 2008 and also commute about 50 miles to work and notice I am leaned forward just a little too much. Did the adjustment help you ride more upright or ???

It is easy; but you need the proper tools.

Yes, you ride a little more upright.

It is easy; but you need the proper tools.Yes, you ride a little more upright.
Hi Yukon, a few post back you asked what year my bike was. Its an 07. I had an 03 which I totaled in AR in 05. My wife bought the 07 for me for fathers day. She got it at Maxeys. It was ashock to say the least because after my wreck she said she never wanted me to ride again.

If you need anything let me know I do most all my own light maintanence.

Glenn

I'm an Optometrist in Mustang on Mustang rd, right across from our community center.