First FJR sold in USA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to muck things up: There was at least one person who shipped one over from Europe the year before they were sold here. I remember it being discussed on the Concours listserv.
the europe-only fjr was quite the talk on the fj list back in 02 (i think?). that summer during the fj rally, a bunch ofus were pulling into that gas station/food mart in tellico plains, tn, you know, the main one there, and there's this bike parked there; and our jaws drop in our helmets, as we realize it's an fjr. dude went over to europe, for some reason i'm thinking france or germany, and shipped it over in parts, so he could be the first one to have an fjr here in the states. he was from the area, tellico plains or somewhere near the smoky mountains. he said it took several months and 5 or 6k dollars just to get it done. he was real accommodating, and let those of us who asked sit on the bike and get pics of it and all. that was either in may or september of that year.
Gotta be the one that was the buzz on the COG list too. All I could remember is that it was someone from TN. I remember that a few folks were setting up rides just to go look at it.

And now that I own one -- yeah, that made sense. ;)

Ordered mine Feb 2002, delivered July 17th, picked it up July 18th 2002 -- vin # 000046, and I still have her :)

That was a looooong 5 month wait, us being the first of the "waiters".

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine (#276) delivered on July 31st, 2002. Picked it up the next day.
I believe that first one in the U.S. was a red one, wasn't it?
:rolleyes: here we go :lol: :lol: -- tsk, tsk bvail
I'm talking about the one that was shipped as 'parts', not the one that was turned into parts - OUCH!

Hope I see your pretty red one in Park City...

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct TWN. It was Roachman who took claim to the first delivery on 7/11/2002. As far as I know, he was the first PDP bike delivered in the states.
Don't forget not all FJR owners back then, (and now for that matter) where members, nor did they know about this forum.

I'm surprised how many FJR riders I've met that have no clue about this, or any other FJR related website/forum. :unsure:

So, there could have been some early summer deliveries we don't know about. <_<

Correct TWN. It was Roachman who took claim to the first delivery on 7/11/2002. As far as I know, he was the first PDP bike delivered in the states.
Don't forget not all FJR owners back then, (and now for that matter) where members, nor did they know about this forum.

I'm surprised how many FJR riders I've met that have no clue about this, or any other FJR related website/forum. :unsure:

So, there could have been some early summer deliveries we don't know about. <_<
But then many of us original waiters were members of the FJR Owners forum and the FJR Riders forum on Delphi. Maybe even the brown room. We were the original whiners :p "When's it gonna git here?"

I'm talking about the one that was shipped as 'parts', not the one that was turned into parts - OUCH!

the one that we rolled up on in tellico during the fj rally was blue, if memory serves.

the one that we rolled up on in tellico during the fj rally was blue, if memory serves.
IIRC, you are correct sir...

Yeah, he was a dealer in Mount Pleasant, SC. He sold me my bike. He no longer works for that dealer, and just before he left the dealership he was looking to trade up to an '04; don't know if that happened. (and for the life of my can't remember his name, or wait a minute, I'm thinking it was David Roach) And yeah, there used to be a picture of him and the bike on the 'other' forum.
Yep yep, David Roach. If I remember correctly he didn't get the 04 for personal reasons. I still run into him every now and then. The gentleman (owner of #2, possibly) in the pic still has his original 03; I just ran into him maybe a week ago.

I bought my 04 from the same dealership, Champion Yamaha of Mt. Pleasant.

Oops! my bad - sorry Mr Vail :unsure:

We plan on being in Park City

Oops! my bad - sorry Mr Vail :unsure:

We plan on being in Park City
I outgrew the Silver Streak so my skinny brother will be riding it. I'll be on the larger titanium GL1800. If you see someone hanging around in the parking area with a brewski, it might be me or him or us :)