First Gear (aka Warm n' Safe) - Heated Gear Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Don't be like me. Don't be an idiot and screw yourself out of $100 (or more!).

And now, the rest of the story...

It's been somewhat chilly in New England lately and I've wanted (needed?) to use my heated gear to stay comfortable. I have a First Gear 90 watt electric liner, their Rider Classic style heated gloves and a dual portable Heattroller. All of these First Gear items are manufactured by Warm n' Safe. Let me say right up front that I love this stuff. It really does make cold weather riding a joy.

The last few times I've used the gear I've noticed that the left side glove seemed to be going flaky, working for a while and then the heat would cut out for a while and that hand would get cold while the right one stayed nice and toasty warm.

Back home on the workbench I measured the gloves' resistance and saw that while the right glove had a nice ~11 ohms of consistent resistance, the left one was showing open (infinity resistance). I'd owned these gloves for 2 years and given them a lot of use. Of course I was a bit disappointed that they would break, but considering the use they'd received I just shrugged it off and figured I'd pick up a new pair to replace them.

I had an old pair of Gerbings snowmobile gloves laying around that had a bad connector on one of them, so I cut the cord off of the failed First Gear glove and spliced it onto the Gerbings glove to get me by until I could find a good deal on a new pair of Warm n' Safe ones. That was the big mistake.

Today when I was shopping for those new replacements I found a thread on ADVriders talking about Gerbings vs Warm n' Safe gear, Pros and Cons. In that thread the principle at Warm n' Safe (HeattrollerMike) piped up and informed a poster that although their overall equipment warranty on their heated gear is for 1 year, all of their heated clothing carries a lifetime warranty on the electrics. That is just plain awesome.

When I went to Warm n' Safe's website to see more about their return and exchange info I found this:

WARRANTY!! ALL OUR HEATED CLOTHING INCLUDING GLOVES, GLOVE LINERS AND SOCKS are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of One year. Defects in the wires are guaranteed for the life of the garment. General wear and tear, damage by abuse or accidents are not covered.
and

All warranties will be voided IF the following guidelines are not followed:
* Do not cut off the plugs, Ring connectors or CUT ANYTHING!

Clearly I have screwed myself out of warranty coverage this time around by hacking off the cord, but I'm still very happy to know that the replacement gloves I purchase (and the other gear I already own) will be covered for electrical breakage for the lifetime of the gloves.

Hoping to help others out there not make my same stupid mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dealt with Mike at Warm N Safe a couple of times on purchases for me and the Mrs. I'd had a glove that wire placement was causing me discomfort, but hadn't worn it much to really diagnose the issue before the summer riding season hit. About a year or so later, I tried them again, reminded myself to contact Mike about the offending wire and was promptly rewarded with an email stating that although the warranty had expired, if it wasn't worn excessively, he'd exchange for a new pair. Paid shipping and everything, getting a customer for life in the process. Very good Customer Service!

Sorry about the lesson Fred, I do the same thing sometimes, thinking it'll be easier to fix something myself rather than send it back and wait.
wink.png

Have you looked into their Upgrade offers Fred? I'm not sure what the restrictions are there but those gloves might be worth a few bucks off a new pair.

Edit: My bad. See you already bought replacements.

I was impressed to receive a brand new updated wireless dual controller four years after I bought my original one. Mike is awesome with the way he proactively backs up his gear.

Crap! And here I thought those strings were just to hang your mittens so you wouldn't lose them............

W&S great stuff. I had one glove develop an open circuit within a month, but they also fitted too snug....... Mike sent me a new pair and let me upsize too. Kewl.

PS - I have read the odd thing that Gerbings have connectors that go south.......

Fred, I'd be tempted to email then your story. They might just surprise you!

I had a Butkicker amplifier replaced free years after the warranty expired. I had disassembled it and told them what I had observed.

Have nothing but good things to say about the customer service and support I've received from WnS over the years. Mike stands behind his product very admirably. Another life-time customer here.

I agree. I was caught up in my own assumption that "nobody would guarantee the electrical heater wire in a 2 year old glove", when in fact that is exactly what they do and more.

I've just ordered another set of these same great gloves, and if/when the do fail at some time down the road I will (now) be educated enough to know that they will fix them for me when I send them back.

You have to love a company that stands behind their product beyond all reasonable expectation. They have my business for (my ) life.

Just so you all know, this thread talked me into it. Ordered a jacket liner, glove liners and controller from them last night. Got my tracking number via email today. Anxious to try my new heated goodies next week. Saw 23 degrees this morning riding into work.