First Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyBlue

Reaction score
Well,

After a nice 300 mile ride, I am convinced that every penny i spent on this setup was worth it!

Lee at Traxxion Dynamics is very good to deal with and got the spring rates PERFECT for me! I asked him to give me a sport type setup so it's a little stiff, But perfect for my style.

Thanks to Smitty for the install of these components! It would not have been possible without you!

I've been wondering how you were doing Adam. So, you finally got out for a nice ride to check out the setup. It's a tough job sometimes deciding how a customers bike should be setup. We talked enough on the phone about rding so I had a good picture of your riding habits and expectations. That made it much easier for me.

Thanks for the good words. It's been a pleasure working with you. :)

I haven't done it to the FJR (yet) but I bought Penske's from Traxxion for my SV and my VFR. I did the installations myself. Not hard but you have to have the right tools, stands etc to do it. The Penske double clicker in both cases and I can testify that they are light years ahead of the stock shocks on those two bikes. Traxxion nailed the spring rates and damping on both of them. They just make a huge difference in the comfort, control and confidence on both bikes. The feej will probably get one before next season.

Well,
After a nice 300 mile ride, I am convinced that every penny i spent on this setup was worth it!

Lee at Traxxion Dynamics is very good to deal with and got the spring rates PERFECT for me! I asked him to give me a sport type setup so it's a little stiff, But perfect for my style.

Thanks to Smitty for the install of these components! It would not have been possible without you!
Galaxy, I believe that I was at Traxxion the day before you and couldn't agree more with your comments about Lee and the folks there in Woodstock, GA.

I'm running their forks coupled with the Wilbers rear shock from the Warchild arranged group buy. I don't have many miles on the set-up yet, but like what I see so far.

jim

Well,

What spring did they put on yours and how much do you weigh? I'm 165 and the 1000 pound spring seems way too stiff.

I have the compression set to 1 (the lowest) and it's still so harsh every little bump tosses me up off the saddle. Sag under my weight is set to a little over 35mm, but the sag under just the bike weight is nearly zero. Can't be right. Or I'm an idiot. Hmmm, could this be the start of a new poll?

I love the great rebound damping and the way the rear stays planted when cornering hard, but the harshness is a bummer.

Well,

What spring did they put on yours and how much do you weigh? I'm 165 and the 1000 pound spring seems way too stiff.

I have the compression set to 1 (the lowest) and it's still so harsh every little bump tosses me up off the saddle. Sag under my weight is set to a little over 35mm, but the sag under just the bike weight is nearly zero. Can't be right. Or I'm an idiot. Hmmm, could this be the start of a new poll?

I love the great rebound damping and the way the rear stays planted when cornering hard, but the harshness is a bummer.
The 1000 lb spring is too much for your weight. We would go with a 750 - 800 lb spring for guys in your weight range depending on their riding needs.

Are you sure you're measuring the sag correctly? With the spring you have, and your weight I don't see how it would return those sag numbers. I have an 850 on mine and have 12-13 mm static sag with 33-34 mm of dynamic sag (with rider). I weigh around 215 and ride 2-up a lot. Something isn't right with your measurements.

The sag numbers you wrote (0 static and 35 with you aboard) above are indicative of a spring that is too soft and has a lot of preload applied to it. I know for a fact the 1000 lb spring is too stiff through our own testing here at the shop.

We put a 900 lb/inch spring on Galaxy's Penske and he weighs over twice what you do.

Where did you purchase your Penske?

For comparison, 200 lb corner craver here, no passenger and the # 850 spring.

I GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA put this FJR on blocks and ship these old legs to Lee. Somebody pry this thing offa me.....or me off it.

Edited: I quoted the wrong spring rate. Above 700 lbs, the increments are in #50 increases.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1000 lb spring is too much for your weight. We would go with a 750 - 800 lb spring for guys in your weight range depending on their riding needs.

Are you sure you're measuring the sag correctly? With the spring you have, and your weight I don't see how it would return those sag numbers. I have an 850 on mine and have 12-13 mm static sag with 33-34 mm of dynamic sag (with rider). I weigh around 215 and ride 2-up a lot. Something isn't right with your measurements.

The sag numbers you wrote (0 static and 35 with you aboard) above are indicative of a spring that is too soft and has a lot of preload applied to it. I know for a fact the 1000 lb spring is too stiff through our own testing here at the shop.

We put a 900 lb/inch spring on Galaxy's Penske and he weighs over twice what you do.

Where did you purchase your Penske?

I bought it about a year ago from Traxxion Dynamics. The 1000 pound rating I got from the packing slip or invoice that came with it.

I agree the sag numbers don't seem to make sense. I need to call and tell someone how I did it. Who should I ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee put the 900# spring in since i tip the scales at 350#'s. He really knows what he's talking about, IMO.

I bought it about a year ago from Traxxion Dynamics. The 1000 pound rating I got from the packing slip or invoice that came with it.
I agree the sag numbers don't seem to make sense. I need to call and tell someone how I did it. Who should I ask for?
Lee, (sportryder) is the man at Traxxion you need to talk with.. I am sure he can fix you up with a different spring rate.

So what's the hit to the pocket book for a complete set of suspenders front and rear?

Assuming Penske adjustible (rear) and reworked forks? I saw someone had this done at EOM and was really happy with it.

So what's the hit to the pocket book for a complete set of suspenders front and rear?
Assuming Penske adjustible (rear) and reworked forks? I saw someone had this done at EOM and was really happy with it.
Not cheap, But worth the $$$. I got in on their Labor Day Sale And saved some extra money over the normal cost. I paid $1800 fot the TOTAL PACKAGE with new fork seals.

For a guy like me who is "above average", THis was the only way to go and have a custom setup made just for me.

Inertiaman - 1 year ago we had not touched an FJR at the shop. We had depended completely on R&D from a guy setting up lots of FJRs out on the west coast. When I bought an FJR in November of last year, we started right away doing the R&D on it. The guy we worked with out west is a knowledgeable tech but we feel he was going by sag numbers completely.

I weigh 210 without gear. The first spring I tried was a 950. I had considered trying a 1000 lb spring but we had none at the time on the shelf. So, I put the 8981 on the bike with a 950. Sag numbers fell right in line using the standard preload numbers we have for that rate spring. The ride was harsh to me while riding alone. It was a bit harsh when I rode with my wife. So, I tried an 800 lb spring with a little more preload. It was fine while riding alone but 2-up, it was a bit soft. At that time we decided the 850 should be the standard for a 200 lb rider doing mostly 1-up riding with occasional riding with passengers. The FJR is a heavy bike so 50 lbs difference either way with that stiff of a spring is not going to make a huge difference. The FJR is one of those bikes that perfect sag numbers does not work well. When I say perfect, I am referring to our standard baseline in the shop for testing or R&D BEFORE a test ride. Those numbers are 10-15 mm static and 30-35 dynamic. The FJR rides better when the sag is a bit on the high side.

If you call the shop and ask for me (Lee), we can get your harsh ride resolved. It won't cost you anything but a phone call.

I am out of the shop for the next 4 days. I'm heading to Deals Gap tomorrow for the fall FZ1 mini rally. I'll be back on Monday so that'll be a good time to call me.

Give us a chance to make it right. You won't be disappointed. :D

Inertiaman - 1 year ago we had not touched an FJR at the shop. We had depended completely on R&D from a guy setting up lots of FJRs out on the west coast. When I bought an FJR in November of last year, we started right away doing the R&D on it. The guy we worked with out west is a knowledgeable tech but we feel he was going by sag numbers completely.
I weigh 210 without gear. The first spring I tried was a 950. I had considered trying a 1000 lb spring but we had none at the time on the shelf. So, I put the 8981 on the bike with a 950. Sag numbers fell right in line using the standard preload numbers we have for that rate spring. The ride was harsh to me while riding alone. It was a bit harsh when I rode with my wife. So, I tried an 800 lb spring with a little more preload. It was fine while riding alone but 2-up, it was a bit soft. At that time we decided the 850 should be the standard for a 200 lb rider doing mostly 1-up riding with occasional riding with passengers. The FJR is a heavy bike so 50 lbs difference either way with that stiff of a spring is not going to make a huge difference. The FJR is one of those bikes that perfect sag numbers does not work well. When I say perfect, I am referring to our standard baseline in the shop for testing or R&D BEFORE a test ride. Those numbers are 10-15 mm static and 30-35 dynamic. The FJR rides better when the sag is a bit on the high side.

If you call the shop and ask for me (Lee), we can get your harsh ride resolved. It won't cost you anything but a phone call.

I am out of the shop for the next 4 days. I'm heading to Deals Gap tomorrow for the fall FZ1 mini rally. I'll be back on Monday so that'll be a good time to call me.

Give us a chance to make it right. You won't be disappointed. :D

Thanks, Lee.

It's good to know I'm not completely wrong (in spite of what my ex says).

I will call you next week. In the meantime, enjoy your trip. I'm jealous.