First Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... tends to track straight ....
Probably a tyre issue. The front needs the right tyre, and the right pressure. Particularly the BT021 is a known poor tyre, particularly after a couple of thousand miles. (You don't say whether your toy is new or used - update your profile?)

Suggest you read up the several thousand threads on tyres, ensure your pressures are 40/43 front/rear, and you get a decent tyre when the front is worn. (Many favour the PR2, I like the Storm ST Ultra 2; but a discussion on that will put this rapidly into the NERPT area :rolleyes: .)

Enjoy.
Very interesting!! I just changed out the Stones for some Shinkos which will be changed out to Michelins in September. I had made the comment to those that were listening ( I had my helmet on at the time) that this bike needed to be worked in the corners versus just flowing thru the corners. Mounted a set of Ravens and now Life is Good and In Balance again. Very impressed with the Shinko's and based on the price if they last to 6000 miles they are an even swap for Michelins. Did a write up on my blog about them if you care to read. CLICKY HERE

Willie

You should put your home location in your profile so we can make fun of where you live. Probably one of those Palm Bay goat molesters. :lol:
Ain't no way I'm gonna post my location. I'd be afraid that some FJR geezer would show up expecting dinner, free booze, or somethin.

Bill
Just what I thought...but worse! He ain't a Palm Bay Goat Roper....

He's an toad molester from Fellsmere, home of the world famous Frog Leg Festival. I'm sure of it!

79_froglegfrog.jpg

Geez, I didn't try to start a tire thread. Just a first impressions thread.

Anyway, after 1K miles the bike has smoothed out a bit and it handles better because I know how to ride it. MPG is great and ergos are great. Changed the oil. Not hard. Need a name for her like a boat would have. Silver Girl or maybe something more creative !

Think I need new tires already !! Anyone know the best windshield for a FJR ? Sorry, but I could not resist.

I liked the PR 2s at first, but wore them out in under 7000 miles. The last few thousand handling really funky. Trying set of Shinkos, $195 to my door from Derby. Only a few hundred miles so far, but no complaints. I can go through corners faster on the V-Strom 650, but the FJR is so much nicer on the long trips.