First PGR ride in Rhode Island

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
It was after reading TOECUTTERS thread about his ride with the Patriot Guard Riders and my son's soon to be (9/4) entrance into the USMC that I decided to step up to the plate and provide a little support by joining. My first "mission" was the "Garden of Heroes" memorial dedication at the Rhode Island State House in Providence. Since I live on eastern Long Island in NY I had to get going around 5:30 AM to make a 9:30 rendevous at a parking lot somewhere west of Providence. The first 3 hours of the journey didn't involve much riding but a journey on 3 seperate ferries to get into CT. Since my FJR seat is on its return journey from Bill Mayer in Ojai CA, I was relegated to taking my screaming yellow 2000 Honda VFR. Not knowing what to expect I kind of figured that the majority of riders would be on HD's and my suspicions were confirmed when I drove into the first staging area and there were about 20 bikes of various sizes, shapes, and colors...and about 20 HD riders of various sizes, shapes, and colors.....none of them screaming yellow. I was immediately greeted by the ride captains and was introduced to a number of the guys and gals, all top notch folks. After a short briefing, we had a "spirited" ride to the final staging area with 4 members acting as "blockers" at intersections to stop traffic. We pulled into the parking lot where another 25 or 30 bikes were congregated with only one other sport bike, a gold wing, and a smattering of jap cruisers to round out the Harleys. In short order we were met by 5 members of the Rhode Island State Police (also on Harleys and driving one chase van) and after another short briefing we began the ride to the State House. With the RISP darting up and down the column of bikes, closing off intersections we made it to the destination in no time flat. At the request of the family members of the fallen soldiers, we took 2 laps around the State House and entered a dedicated parking lot where we parked the bikes. During the ceremony, all the PGR members stood with 3x5 flags along the steps of the SH and surrounding the "Garden of Heroes" during the ceremony. What a great experience. Awesome people with only one agenda....the honoring of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice....Being Rhode Island, of course Governor Donald Carcieri shook our hand's, thanking us for being there. Get the Governator to do that. Here are a couple of pics...

Coast Guard Cutter Eagle in Greenport NY

DSCF1377.jpg

Final Staging Area

DSCF1389.jpg

Bet you can't find my bike...

DSCF1388.jpg

Rhode Island State House

DSCF1398.jpg

Patriot Guard Riders

DSCF1408.jpg

Honor Guard during the playing of Taps

DSCF1414.jpg

IN MEMORIUM:

SGT DENNIS J. FLANAGAN, ARMY

SGT BRIAN R. ST. GERMAIN, MARINE CORPS

SSG DALE JAMES KELLY, JR., ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

RIP

Way to go Axe! :thumbsupsmiley: :clapping:

Next time, tell your fellow PGR to take a lesson from the Honor Guard and not dip their U.S. flags, especially on camera.

I'm going to be doing one of these rides this weekend for the first time. Should be interesting. I'm not a politically motivated person, but some things are just wrong.