First RIDE! AZ-NV

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matalex60

Reaction score
Well I picked up my first FJR last week. Jessica and I took a one way flight to Tucson, with helmets for carry on's and wearing my riding jacket. After an hour layover in Phoenix it was on to Tucson where my friend E.C picked us up from the airport to buy a craigslist find tour master jacket for Jess($85 and real nice) then he drove us to my "new" (2004) FJR. With only 8200mi and not a scratch on here I got a steal at $5500. The bike has throttle lock/bar weights, the bag liners, and a cig liter adapter that was very well done when installed. It was needless to say, love at first sight, kind of like the first time you lay your hand on some boobies. I had not seen an FJR up close, ever, only read reviews and shortly considered wasting cash on an 09 Concours, mistake avoided. There is nothing quite like the sound of a bike, esp an FJR, firing up and running for you for the first time. I did a once over on the bike, signed the AZ title and I was off to my friend E.C.'s to park the bike and have a few beers with good friends at "Bostons' a nice bar and grill in North West Tucson.

The next morning we got up early, packed the bag liners(great addition to the bike) and went for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. After goodbyes around 730 AM we were on the road headed north. What a smooth, powerful, and light ride this bike has. It is a manageable speed not like riding an untamed sport bike but an easy ride that has the power stock piled 5 stories high when you need it. To say the LEAST it was....COLD! About 40 out and below freezing with the wind on us. Thanks goes out to the proper wind shield height and the tour master jackets. From there we headed north and stopped at a rest stop once heading west where I encountered my first FJR meet up. Another FJR rider almost passed me at the rest stop on a blue 05, but when he noticed my FJR, he pulled over and we chatted a bit about the bikes, the road, and riding in general. From there Jess and I continue North to Lake Havasu where we had dinner at a river/London Bridge side restaurant. After some good food, warmer weather, and a 5hr energy we were on the last stretch. With the sunset, good tunes, and riding my new FJR, it was a pure spiritual experience as I am sure any distance rider would relate. we got home around 7PM.

What a great time. A new bike to explore, great roads, perfect afternoon weather, good tunes, and a sweet lady on the back. These are the things that really make life worth exploring and enjoying. Hard to truly describe, but I am sure that fellow FJR riders understand where I am getting at. Thanks for reading, if you did.

Matt

I bought my 05 December 1 with 6744 miles on the clock in Reno, and rode it back across Donner Pass. It now has 10,200 miles on it and the adventure continues. Bar none, the best bike I have ever owned. You did well getting a good deal, and a good ride back home. Enjoy.

Welcome!

I love reading these new threads about the excitement with these bikes... I don't think i will ever tire of this platform.

ps... when you meet me, Watch out for curbs. ;)

Interesting how similar paths can take people different directions. More on that later...........

Was this the non-abs that has been for sale for a while in northeast Tucson?

Congrats on a really nice ride. My buddy Gregory in Northern CA rode with me last year, and my '06 could not come close to the acceleration his stock 2004 had. If it wasn't for my superior riding skills I'd never catch up :p .

I flew into Las Vegas yesterday for a conference. Weather has been chilly but nice. I enjoyed riding my FJR from Oregon to Las Vegas and meeting the wife after she flew in here last year. We toured together for a day after the conference. You have a terrific base to explore on this platform.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

Welcome from TX, and you'll love the FJR even more as you stretch it's legs out on roads seemingly made for the FJR. Oh how I miss out and back day trips including heading to Lake Isabella, Mono lake, runs around the Grand Canyon, looping the NV test site, looping through Caliente on into Pine Valley UT, heading to San Luis AZ and back, and the list goes on. You're in a great spot for eating a lot of serene miles.

worldbound4now

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes this was the one in Northeast Tucson.
Nice bike. I test rode it back in November or so. Just didn't pull the trigger for reasons I am not sure of.

Congrats on acquiring your FJR - and the best vintage.

:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

I looooove a good story!

Hmmmm....Las Vegas.....are you aware that there will be a group of FJRs and BMWs riding in Death Valley, March 11-13.

Some of the troublemakers...er...party-minded...uhm...more adventurous are meeting in Las Vegas Thursday, March 10th.

Come on down and meet some of the forum members and friends.

Click Here for Linky Thingy

Interesting how similar paths can take people different directions. More on that later...........
A bit more on this........

Funny, at about the same time you were travelling into my neck of the woods to pick up your low-mile 04 FJR, I was travelling to farther lands to pick up mine!

Clicky........

It is amazing how this bike makes us riders feel, isn't it? Now don't forget to update your profile...you're no longer considering an FJR, you're an OWNER!! :clapping:

A bit more on this........

Funny, at about the same time you were travelling into my neck of the woods to pick up your low-mile 04 FJR, I was travelling to farther lands to pick up mine!

Clicky........

Great thread! What a nice deal on your new FJR and it is inspiring to a new owner like myself to hear about these babies going 200k+ on the odo. I absolutely love my "new" 04'. I am sure there are others like me that just have to step out to the garage before bed to steel one last look aka tuck them in. If you are ever in Las Vegas, hollar at me and we can ride a bit, since you have already ridden my FJR (kind of like sleeping with my sister by the way)!!!