First ride on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl_1300

Reaction score
I took my first ride on a FJR today !!!!!!!!! Now I know what all the fuss is about. I have a 04 Gold Wing and my wife has a new 05 VTX 1300R, cool ride by the way. But today I had the chance to ride a friends FJR so I jumped at it. Wow that thing will really run. :D I have wanted one for some time but now I'm not sure I can do with out. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some things that you just should not do. You have just done one of them. We will hear from you later, I suspect.

Thanks for the comment.....as I still second guess myself about ordering an 06 FJR rather than a Wing or a BMW GT.........I love to hear more details about your ride and the differences you experienced both on the bike and after you got off vs other bikes you've experience.....

Hi downn2,

I had a 03' GW and have ridden 04' & 05' FJR's. The difference's but not great.

First off you will notice a difference in the weight. It is much easier to handle the FJR at slower speeds. About the same at high speeds, the GW (1800) does handle VERY well.

The FJR is MUCH faster both in 0-60 and top speeds.

The FJR does handle better than the GW with out losing much of it ride quality but the GW is still more comfortable.

The GW is more convient in terms of carrying stuff. The GW saddlebags are larger and the trunk is about the size of a Givi V46. The GW trunk can fit 2 F/F helmets and a little more around the helmets.

The radio is nice along with the intercom on the GW. On the other hand you can get a J&M system that has a CB/intercom and audio input for your Ipod/MP3 player. I think the J&M system doesn't look as intergrated as the stock GW system.

The GW will give you much more wind coverage. I was not very happy with the stock FJR shield. I'm 5'9" and even with it all the way up, there was ALOT of helmet buffetting.

Both bikes have shaft drive, FI and ABS.

I did really like my GW but after 3 recalls including a cracked frame, I sold it and bought a Bandit 1200S. I am interested in the 06' FJR but am concerned about the "ticking" problem. Its alot of miney to spend to have it sitting at the Dealer for repairs. I went through that with my old GW.

Hope this helps.

I had a 02 wing that I loved but it was in the first round of frame recals. Well I decided to trade up to a 04 wing, you guessed it, when the frame recall was expanded last winter my new 04 was in it too. I had it rewelded and all is well now. I won't be trading my wing for a FJR because of the comfort and performance of the wing. But I do think the FJR would be a fantastic ride to have in the garage just to have the option.

The FJR is much faster and better handling than the wing but it is also less of a touring bike with less comfort and less wind protection. It's up to you to decided which you want, speed or comfort.

The only GW I had was an 83 - so I can't comment on the late model ones. I do know that the FJR is very comfortable at least for me for 10-12 hour days - and I love always having the power to get away from bad car drivers on the highways and the handling to lean through the corners on the back roads.

I think that is what I like best about the FJR - I am as comfortable on the highway on it as I am on tight cornering back roads - it does both very well. I can get to lots of great roads in comfort on the highway, and then have all the fun I want in the twisties, on a machine that handles both riding styles extremely well.

I like the 05 FJR more then the 04 Wing,but on trips we take the Wing.

FJR-Wing-Valk.jpg

An FJR1300 & a Valkyrie! That's makes two of us.

I have thought about a 'wing for the long trips when my 11 year old daughter rides along but haven't bit the bullet yet.

My third bike is an FZ1, if you sold your wing & bought an FZ1 then we'd match! That would be a lot cheaper for me! :lol:

By the way, that fun factor doesn'y leave you! 1300 mi on my 05, and it's still a rush to climb aboard, wheather 5mi or 500.

An FJR1300 & a Valkyrie! That's makes two of us.
I have thought about a 'wing for the long trips when my 11 year old daughter rides along but haven't bit the bullet yet.

My third bike is an FZ1, if you sold your wing & bought an FZ1 then we'd match! That would be a lot cheaper for me! :lol:
Nope that makes 3 of us. I have a 99 Valkyrie Interstate and just today put my order in for the FJR. I think it will be the best of both worlds! :D

It's up to you to decided which you want, speed or comfort.
No, no , no. That's why we have FARKLES, my touring addicted friends. It's MUCH cheaper to take a light and fast FJR and add comfort items like a big windscreen and better seat than to try and make the GW light and fast.

You really can have both, if you want, and all in the same motorcycle. We know that some of those Iron Butt guys who ride the FJR found a way to make it comfortable for the ultimate long haul....

I took my first ride on a FJR today !!!!!!!!! Now I know what all the fuss is about. I have a 04 Gold Wing and my wife has a new 05 VTX 1300R, cool ride by the way. But today I had the chance to ride a friends FJR so I jumped at it. Wow that thing will really run. :D I have wanted one for some time but now I'm not sure I can do with out. :rolleyes:
You have summed up what I've been trying to politely explain to my Wingster friends for nearly 3 years. They see the improvement between the GL1500 and the GL1800 and don't realize that it evolutional when compared to the GL1500 to FJR move I made (which was revolutional).

I had a 03' GW and have ridden 04' & 05' FJR's.  The difference's but not great.
Tell that to the GL1800 owning friends I've left watching my tailights disappear into the distance. :haha:

As for FJR comfort, all I can say is that the FJR worked okay for me to earn a finish in the 2003 Iron Butt Rally.

Let me sum this up real quick. 2001 GL1800 in for warranty work 30 times in ONE year. 2005 FJR 1300 one year old as NEVER been to the dealer period.And one final note Does Honda really have they're OVERHEATING Fix. NOT. Is the Frame issue fixed.Or will it surface again,again and again? I'm VERY thankful that Honda built the worsted Motorcycle Iv'e ever Owned. Because of that I was turn on to the FJR 1300. And I owned 10 Honda Goldwings since 1981.So the 1800 wasn't my first dance with Honda.And I don't miss hauling around that extra 300lbs.Honda what's up with the Plastic Chrome?? Sorry for venting.

Bob Mr Blue :rolleyes:

MrBlue has a point, my wing is not perfect, intercom sucks, frame was rewelded in recall, but I still enjoy that bike but FJR sure would be fun to have in addition to the Wing and VTX.

Hi Bob (MrBlue58),

I totally see and agree with you!!! The GL is a nearly $20K bike and it has so many problems. I had a 2003 with the frame, ECU and proportioning brake valve go bad so I also sold it. I now have a Bandit 1200S but want a FJR. Not sure about the whole "tick" issue. I don't want to have to go through what I did with the Wing. I'm going to wait to see if the 06' FJR has a problem and then but an 07'.

I love the Bandit and it gets me where I want to go, rather quickly I might add, without any problems.

Rob

Hi Bob (MrBlue58),
I totally see and agree with you!!! The GL is a nearly $20K bike and it has so many problems. I had a 2003 with the frame, ECU and proportioning brake valve go bad so I also sold it. I now have a Bandit 1200S but want a FJR. Not sure about the whole "tick" issue. I don't want to have to go through what I did with the Wing. I'm going to wait to see if the 06' FJR has a problem and then but an 07'.

I love the Bandit and it gets me where I want to go, rather quickly I might add, without any problems.

Rob
Besides ...you can't see where the hell you are going when that GW air bag goes off! :bigeyes:

I want an 06 FZ1 to ride until my 07 FJR gets here ...so all you GW riders watch out for this 50year old kid sliding past you on the Fizzer next year. :p

If your on your 06 FJR, I'll want to stop to talk you into letting me look at it ...or we can swap for a while if you want too. :D

RogerB

I will be adding an FJR1300AE to my Drivers Log inventory in May (right next to my 03 GL1800/A which I have been extremely happy with even with the few recalls)!

Happy Holidays,

Shane

Not enough of them tick to worry about it. It kills me people wont buy the FJR because it "may" tick I have a 03 and doesnt tick at all. There are two many pluses to worry about a "tick" if you want to worry about tics, I would be concerned about deer tics. :)