First week on Avon's...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastfar

Reaction score
I have put about 400 miles on my first set of Avon AV 45/46's and I love them. I dig the way the bike turns into the corners, they stick like crazy, I experience no wobbles at any speed. They are, so far, superior to Metzeler Z4/Z6 and to the 'stones that came on this bike. Those are the only other tires I have run over the last 12k miles.

But I notice that I have used the front tire from edge to edge, no chicken strip at all. True, I have not spent too much time over on that outside edges of the front tire, there is a wavy hint of strip, but another 100 miles and I surmise that the front will be evenly scuffed all the way to the edges just as the rear is. I have always noted about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of unused tire on the front with Metz's and 'stones.

What's going on? Tire pressures checked before every ride, currently using 38frt/40rear, I am not draggin pegs any more than usual, I seldom drag a peg all the way thru a curve, and while I hang off the bike a bit more than I used to I am not close to touching knee, at least I don't think I am...and I'm not trying to in any case.

Does anyone else wear the Avon front's to the edge?

Last edited by a moderator:
The avons I put on seemed to have less chicken strip per lean angle than the bridgestones did, but I've never seen a lack of chicken strip on the front. I've run my all the way to the edge in the back, but still have maybe 1/4" up front.

You must drag many more parts than I.

I'm with slapnpop on this.

Fastfar, please tape your blood type and any alergies to your helmet. I think you are on real shaky ground here.

Tires have different profiles and constructions, so Tire A will have "chicken strips" while Tire B won't, even when run to exactly the same lean angles. The relative profiles front/rear also effect things.

Which is but yet another reason that chicken strips are not a reliable indicator of rider skill (or bravery for that matter).

- Mark

Hi Y'all, I'm back after 3K miles and 25 days of ramblin through the lower 48 on Avons. I didnt think they would last but now have 9K with wear bars fastly approaching. And I think youse guys are lucky... I have to pay extra to get my chickens to strip....me thinks y'all are dealin with with slutty chickens...go ahead ...talk turkey !!!! :D Tis good ta be home !!!! Happy Birdday Everybody !!!

Bobby

The first think I noticed when I first fitted the Avons was how much easier it turned in. And since then a few of the guys I ride with have said the same thing about the Avons. They instill a higher level of confidence. If you are hanging off a tad, it will keep your pegs off the road, but when you initiate your turn you are obviously being more aggressive and it is the dropping into the turn that is eating up your chicken strips.

The first think I noticed when I first fitted the Avons was how much easier it turned in.  And since then a few of the guys I ride with have said the same thing about the Avons.  They instill a higher level of confidence.  If you are hanging off a tad, it will keep your pegs off the road, but when you initiate your turn you are obviously being more aggressive and it is the dropping into the turn that is eating up your chicken strips.
Ahhh, that is a good point...I am initiating turns with more snap, the bike feels more flickable and it could be the initial turn-in that is scrubbing the front tires to the edge. But if that turn-in turns into a tuck, well, that is what I wish to avoid.

I am no daredevil, and ride with the intention to ride again tomorrow, but the pegs do drag a bit now and then. A new rear shock will help that I think, but in the meantime, I don't want to find maximum lean angle by exceeding it...

Guess I will slow down until I know how close I am to the edge...

Ride height may come into play here too. I drag the occasional peg but no hard parts other than a lowered brake pedal and the Yamaha foot guards. I still had chicken strips on my Avons. Maybe I need to go on a diet in order to get more ride height and thus more lean angle. It's funny though... chicken strips and a diet don't seem to go together.

My rear Avon took 40 grams of weight to get it balanced.....

It seems to be fine so far..........

You must be getting really close to hard parts Fastfar. I'm liking my Avons also, but I don't think I'll be rubbing out my chicken strips. I've ground the pegs pretty hard around a few turns and still have strips front and rear. (No, I'm not leaning to the outside).

Let us know how much it costs to replace little gadgets under the peg. You'll be needing them before me.

Just turned 12,000 miles on the Avons on my '04 FJR, will probably go to about 13,000 miles before fully hitting the wear bars front and rear. No wobble whatsoever, only VERY mild cupping on the front tire, running 42/42 psi. Already have new Avons in the garage ready to go on next month. Love 'em.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

Love to hear the good reports about the AVONS. Just ordered a set two days ago, and can't wait to get em' on. Picked up a nail in the front tire about a week ago, and had a slow leak. Pulled the nail, plugged the tire, temporarily, and then went shopping for new rubber. Fronts gonna cost me $147, and the rear $198. Are those about average prices?

Aaron

I have a set of 45/46 on my doorstep now (just delivered) from Affordable Motorcycle Tires (1-888-232-8473 or 303-399-4100) for $220 to my door. Ask for Jon and tell him you heard about them from the guy with an FJR in San Diego.

Can't wait to spoon them on....

Mark

I have a set of 45/46 on my doorstep now (just delivered) from Affordable Motorcycle Tires (1-888-232-8473 or 303-399-4100) for $220 to my door. Ask for Jon and tell him you heard about them from the guy with an FJR in San Diego.
Can't wait to spoon them on....

Mark
Hey Mark,

Wish I would have read this before I bought mine at Fun Bike Center on Tuesday. I am going to see if they will price match for me, even after the fact of buying them, and having them installed. It was nice meeting you by the way, and thanks for the info. on where to get them next time. Yeah, we'll definately have to get together and ride some time. Drop me an e-mail, and we'll set up a time to go ride. Later.

Aaron

The avons I put on seemed to have less chicken strip per lean angle than the bridgestones did, but I've never seen a lack of chicken strip on the front. I've run my all the way to the edge in the back, but still have maybe 1/4" up front.
You must drag many more parts than I.
+1