FirstGear Kathmandu?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defcon

Reaction score
Anyone have any first hand experience with and comments about the Firstgear Kathmandu jacket / pants combo?

I'm currently using a textile mesh jacket for summer rides and an oversized Tourmaster Saber series 2 jacket for winter and rainy rides. Since replacing my naked sportbike with an FJR, I don't feel the need to bundle up under the jacket as much. I want to replace all my old gear with one set that will work for 99% of the riding that I'll be doing around the South. The Tourmaster jacket is simply too large to wear in the summer without the quilted liner and a bulky fleece on underneath. (It's amazing what some wind protection and heated grips can do!)

I do plenty of road trips to AMA races and through the Smokies. I'd really like ONE jacket / pants combo that will free up some space for more camping gear! I'm hoping that a properly fitted Kathmandu jacket with 420 denier fabric, ventilation system, and hydration pack will be comfortable for all but the hottest summer rides.

Thanks for any input!

I remember seeing a bunch of opinions on ADV rider about this outfit. Just do a search there and I'm sure you'll get a lot of hits.

I am very happy with mine. I have the jackets and pants and have put about 25k miles on them. They are holding up well. No complaints.

I wear the pants. They are great and the best pants I have ever owned. There are 2 problems with them though. One is the knee pads are too low and two is they don't have any pockets. My jacket has plenty of pockets so it is not really an issue there, and I cut the kneepads out and just wear normal kneepads under the pants. I am blessed with nice short stubby legs(28" inseam) and they make a "short" version that fit me about perfect, which is damn near impossible to find in motorcycle gear. They are plenty warm, have ridden down to 7 degrees with them on, the liner comes out easy, seem waterproof so far, the warmest I've ridden in them is about 65 degrees so we'll see how they do in the summer. They do have the vents on the thighs but my guess is much above 85 or so they will be quite toasty. I'd buy them again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments!

I suspect I'll take advantage of the sale that many of the online retailers are currently offering on Firstgear products and grab the combo. After all, I can always return the gear and cuss you guys if I don't like it! :p

I used to ride in a Kilimanjaro regardless of the temperature or weather. It worked out fine for me. It was hot in the summer when stuck in traffic, but comfortable when moving and warm in the cold weather. The Kath looks to be similar but a little lighter, which would make it a better choice in your climate. Get a bright color to reflect the sun.

Last edited by a moderator: