Firstgear laguna GPS Tankbag Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
After started a thread on GPS Viewing, we got alot of feedback concerning GPS mounting, waterproof vs. car GPS, viewing options, etc. After some extensive review for my application (occasional trips requiring a GPS unit), i came across the following gear and put it to the test last weekend:

Laguna_GPS_bag.jpg

Overall, i have to rate this product as excellent. It does everything that its advertised to do well. For my application, it was perfect since i dont need the GPS mounted most of the time, and i could use some extra storage during the trips that require the GPS. The rain cover worked as advertised and hides itself within the bag when not in use. Nothing got wet through the day (and it rained the entire time). The rain cover also allows you to view the GPS unit and phone window. The backpack option also works well and was easy to remove. The bag kept it shape, can be expanded, stays in place, and is really designed for motorcyclists in mind. My focus was on the GPS portion of the bag. The bag positions the unit up high and close to the rider (which makes viewing a breeze). the clear plastic cover to the GPS did make it a lttle more difficult to view the screen (depending on the angle of glare). This makes sense considering that your adding an addtional medium over the top. This issue get a little more complicated when you add the raincover (that has a plastic top allowing your to view the GPS), but i was still able to see the vital functions (i.e. turn left/right in a specific distance) with the cover on. The pouch for the unit will accomodate at 4.3 inch GPS, but its a really tight fit. this can cause some issues if your trying to manipulate the touch screen while its in the pouch. i think it was designed for a 3.5 inch unit. i set everything up before sliding it in.

if you looking for a GPS mounting option that will protect a "non motorcycle" GPS unit and give you some additional storage, You need to take a close look at this bag ($150.00).

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really nice. I have a Firstgear jacket that I'm still wearing after 7 years. They seem to make pretty nice stuff. I don't have a GPS but the rest of the features seem pretty nice as well. My Marsee is getting pretty ragged so I may have to look at this in the near future. The backpack straps seem like a nice touch but I don't know that I've ever wished my Marsee had them.

Great review, thanks. I have been wanting to take my GPS on long trips but with as rare occasion as it is, I don't want to mount one or purchase one for the bike.

Looks like a nice tank bag. I'll see if I can find one locally and check it out. I had First Gear saddle bags for my Busa and I really liked them.

After started a thread on GPS Viewing, we got alot of feedback concerning GPS mounting, waterproof vs. car GPS, viewing options, etc. After some extensive review for my application (occasional trips requiring a GPS unit), i came across the following gear and put it to the test last weekend:
Laguna_GPS_bag.jpg

Overall, i have to rate this product as excellent. It does everything that its advertised to do well. For my application, it was perfect since i dont need the GPS mounted most of the time, and i could use some extra storage during the trips that require the GPS. The rain cover worked as advertised and hides itself within the bag when not in use. Nothing got wet through the day (and it rained the entire time). The rain cover also allows you to view the GPS unit and phone window. The backpack option also works well and was easy to remove. The bag kept it shape, can be expanded, stays in place, and is really designed for motorcyclists in mind. My focus was on the GPS portion of the bag. The bag positions the unit up high and close to the rider (which makes viewing a breeze). the clear plastic cover to the GPS did make it a lttle more difficult to view the screen (depending on the angle of glare). This makes sense considering that your adding an addtional medium over the top. This issue get a little more complicated when you add the raincover (that has a plastic top allowing your to view the GPS), but i was still able to see the vital functions (i.e. turn left/right in a specific distance) with the cover on. The pouch for the unit will accomodate at 4.3 inch GPS, but its a really tight fit. this can cause some issues if your trying to manipulate the touch screen while its in the pouch. i think it was designed for a 3.5 inch unit. i set everything up before sliding it in.

if you looking for a GPS mounting option that will protect a "non motorcycle" GPS unit and give you some additional storage, You need to take a close look at this bag ($150.00).

GreyGoose

Really nice post, this is a great tankbag I purchased it a few months ago it performed well on my recent trip, I didn't get to use the backpack but I did put a 100 ounce camelback in it and I used the GPS compartment it worked well

How did you mount it? Magnetic? Looks like a perfect bag for me if if works on the FJRwith the magnetic mount.
i mounted magnetic. There are other options on the bag if you cant go magnetic. Magnets held the bag very securely throughout my recent trip.

GreyGoose

How did you mount it? Magnetic? Looks like a perfect bag for me if if works on the FJRwith the magnetic mount.
i mounted magnetic. There are other options on the bag if you cant go magnetic. Magnets held the bag very securely throughout my recent trip.

GreyGoose
Thanks for posting. Would you mind posting a picture of the bag mounted on your FJR?

I use my old tankbag for business trips sometimes. You think a folder with regular copy paper would fit inside, flat, without folding?

Thanks, Ric

GreyGoose
Thanks for posting. Would you mind posting a picture of the bag mounted on your FJR?

I use my old tankbag for business trips sometimes. You think a folder with regular copy paper would fit inside, flat, without folding?

Thanks, Ric
let me take a few shots and post later.

Nice review... Don't need the GPS compartment, but I do like Firstgear stuff. Like the way they made the interior a lighter color...

GreyGoose

Thanks, Ric
let me take a few shots and post later.
Heres some shots of the bag on the bike. Lighting isnt great, but it should give you an idea on how this works:

Bike_bag001.jpg

Bike_bag002.jpg

Bike_bag003.jpg

Bike_bag005.jpg

Bike_bag008.jpg

Bike_bag009.jpg

a regular piece of notebook paper will not lay flat in the bottom of the bag. length is no problem,but the width is a little off. Here are some shots of the bag expanded with a hard notebook (with about 3 inches of paper) in it. If fits, but its tight. A soft folder would fold right into the extended bag.

Bike_bag2001.jpg

Bike_bag2002.jpg

Bike_bag2003.jpg

Bike_bag2004.jpg

GreyGoose

Just wanted to follow up on how this bag works in real life situations.

I'll start off by saying that as tank bags go, this is a beauty. As GPS holders go, its not what i was hoping for. The design is fine, but the GPS i use has a 4.3 inch screen and the GPS compartment on the bag is really designed for something smaller. its very difficult to get my unit (765t garmin) into the gps area and get the power cord hooked up. theres also a plastic shield over the gps area which made it more difficult to see the unit (in all conditions). the rain flap did a great job of keeping everything dry, but needs to be synched down pretty tight since air is coming up from under it (given the v-stream i've got installed). I originally purchased the bag for the GPS option, but i doubt i'll be using the bag for that function. in the end, i just slipped the gps into the pocket that is closet to the rider and plugged in my headphones to get the audible directions.

Bottom line: Great tank bag but not recommended for anything but very small GPS units (IMHO).

Just wanted to follow up on how this bag works in real life situations.
I'll start off by saying that as tank bags go, this is a beauty. As GPS holders go, its not what i was hoping for. The design is fine, but the GPS i use has a 4.3 inch screen and the GPS compartment on the bag is really designed for something smaller. its very difficult to get my unit (765t garmin) into the gps area and get the power cord hooked up. theres also a plastic shield over the gps area which made it more difficult to see the unit (in all conditions). the rain flap did a great job of keeping everything dry, but needs to be synched down pretty tight since air is coming up from under it (given the v-stream i've got installed). I originally purchased the bag for the GPS option, but i doubt i'll be using the bag for that function. in the end, i just slipped the gps into the pocket that is closet to the rider and plugged in my headphones to get the audible directions.

Bottom line: Great tank bag but not recommended for anything but very small GPS units (IMHO)
Interesting write up. I happened to bring this exact bag home last night to try out on my bike. My intent for this bag was to use it to set up my new Autocom Super Pro Automatic in. I wanted to install all the audio equipment in it so I could easily add or remove the whole system with just the tankbag and a single power connection. I ordered the fuseblock from Keith Goudelock at Tulsa Truck Center he uses in tankbags to provide connections inside and power from the SAE battery tender lead.

I also think the tankbag itself is built well and looks nice. If anything it's larger than I really need for what I'm doing, but I have a smaller Garmun Nuvi 360 that should fit nicely in the GPS area so if that works well, I'll probably keep the bag and use it for this setup.

If anyone is interested, I can follow up as this comes together.